2012 Chevrolet Volt Consumer Review: No. 2392, 9 months, 26000 mile

2012 Chevrolet Volt - Consumer Review

Base 4dr Hatchback (Hybrid 1-speed Direct Drive)

No. 2392, 9 months, 26000 miles, OK
By talbottsolar on

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

The Volt is eerily quiet. I drove for weeks with the windows down just to understand what it was doing. It accelerates like an elevator, just tire noise and a stiff push from the seat. My wife was driving us up to Lassen Lodge, nice wide winding mountain roads not much traffic, listening to "Il Volo" on the Bose sound system, and chatting away at more than a mile a minute as it turned out! She was driving in her comfort zone, and was substantially over the speed limit! It's a really nice car. I've been in for the free oil change at Maita Chevy, and to repair a flat tire. Mileage is 55 MPG. Fuel savings is $1K. With the tax credit. and fuel savings it has cost me zero to own this Volt.

Battery operation totally rocks on this car! I charge it with my grid tied solar system, so half the fuel is sunshine! It needs only 1 kW of Solar to keep it charged every night, that's only 5 solar panels! Oh yeah, I sell power at 32 cents during the day, and charge the car at 11 cents during the night, with the solar I make a buck charging this car every day. So the first 40 miles cost -$1, and the Volt gets 33 MPG on gas at $3.75 per gallon and half my driving is electric, so. . . the second 40 miles costs $4.54, so I get 80 miles per day at $3.54, that's about 4.5 cents per mile for fuel. The new normal; really nice car, really nice fuel, no compromise!

More battery, lower price!