More affordable than I thought...
By pcain on
2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)
I've had my 2012 Volt for a month now, and I'm confident in saying that Chevrolet has delivered on all of it's promisies: This car is qiuet, quick, comfortable and cost effective. When I first saw the $40,000 base price, I wasn't sure that I could afford it. However, when I factor in the money I save each month on gas, this is actually the most affordable car I've ever owned. The federal and state incentives are also a big help. Just like everybody else says, it feels powerful and solidly built. The on-board technology is delightful. I bought the base model, because the "standard" features on this car would be premium options on any other car. Technologically, the Volt stands alone.
Favorite Features
The "infotainment " system is really great. I'm a concert sound engineer, and am usually dissapointed with "stock" car stereos. The Volt's sound system is a delight. I like to stream audio from my iPhone via Bluetooth. I also really like the mobile App, wich lets me control the car's locks and climate settings remotely. On a hot day, it's great to be able to cool down the car before I get in. I also like that it can be easily charged on 110 volts. The 220 volt charger is completely optional. I charge at home durring off peak hours, and pay around 40 cents for a full charge. I'm also able to charge for free at work. So, I don't pay a lot to keep this car rolling.
Suggested Improvements
In the future, when batterey technology improves signifigantly, it would be great to offer an upgraded battery for the Volt. 40 miles is a perfectly functional range, however, 80 would be even better. The front air dam is pretty low, and scrapes quite a bit. Perhaps an active suspension could give the car more ground clearance up front at low speeds? Other than that... Don't change a thing!