Leased for 2 years. Loved every minute.
By cargirl88 on
2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)
I jumped on a 24-month lease deal that my Chevy dealer was offering to promote this car. I'm coming up on my 30k mi limit and will be turning the Volt in come May. I will miss it. At the end of those 30k, I will have averaged about 110mpg - saving me around $2500 in gas alone from my previous car's 28mpg average (VW Jetta). This was about 7 months' worth of payments ;) I don't know of any other car that can offer this kind of gas savings. I didn't buy because the concept is so new (and expensive), but for the 2 years I had it, it was a pleasure. In a few years, after consistent production and refining, I will most definitely consider buying.
Favorite Features
Unbelievably quiet. It's really something to drive it on EV power down a quiet road. A very cool experience. Accelerates flawlessly. 0-60mph in about 8.5 seconds - not bad for a "lame" hybrid ;) Just plain fun to drive Great exterior styling. My Volt got more looks that any sports car. It's something of a car unicorn - everyone has heard of it but no one has actually seen one. A great conversation starter. Tight turning. It will park and fit anywhere. Surprisingly great in snow! Due to the huge battery in the center, weight is distributed evenly and makes for a safe drive on slick roads. The "power-flow" visual - understanding exactly how much energy you're using in real-time.
Suggested Improvements
The only problem I ever had was with the charging port failing at around 18k, but it was under warranty and fixed by the dealer with no question. The heater is very slow to warm up when on EV power only. The center console layout is busy and pretty confusing. Lots of unnecessary buttons. It's obvious that GM spent the majority of the Volt's efforts on the EV capability and not the interior design. Seats are rather stiff and plastic-feeling.