2012 Chevrolet Volt Hybrid 1-speed Direct Drive Consumer Review - I love this car

2012 Chevrolet Volt - Consumer Review

Base 4dr Hatchback (Hybrid 1-speed Direct Drive)

I love this car
By mholt9 on

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I test drove the Volt because I wanted to contribute to a reduction in our reliance on oil for 97% of our critical transportation needs. I bought the Volt because I loved everything about the car. The Volt's battery life allows me to complete my 42 mile round-trip commute without using a drop of gasoline. But, I can also take long trips without any "range anxiety." I have driven 6,500 miles, including some interstate trips on which I used a total of 42 gallons of gas. Otherwise, its all electric. Either way, the car is a joy to drive because it is so smooth and fluid -- refined may be a better description.

Favorite Features

All electric "stealth" mode for first 40 - 50 miles of driving suits my 42 mile commute. Hatchback design is very practical. I carried crown molding home from Lowes with no problem. Added weight of the battery gives the car a solid ride. Combined with the quietness and smoothness of the electric motor, its comparable to flying. The torque of the electric motor combined with a continuously variable transmission delivers a surprising surge of power that seems endless; above 90 mph the car was still as silent and stable as could be, thanks to its incredible aerodynamics. The On Star system is a lifesaver, and controlling the car with my iPhone-- then my iPhone with the car--is "cool."

Suggested Improvements

Audio controls on the steering wheel should be swapped with the cruise controls so that audio controls are on the left rather than the right, since I can just as easily access the controls on the radio itself with my right hand. The air dam in the front of the car should be made of flexible rubber rather than hard plastic to reduce concerns about scraping it when pulling out of a driveway, etc. I'd like it better if it was just a bit bigger, with more rear seat leg room. That would probably allow for a bigger battery, too, which could extend the all electric range even further. Why not replace the glass roof with solar panels? Hard plastic used on dashboard should be upgraded.