First 1,000 Miles in the Volt
By mn_volt on
2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)
After test driving pretty much every comparable hybrid, we traded in our Audi TT Roadster for the 2012 Chevy Volt. After the first 1,000 miles, we both love driving this car!! We were hesitant for a couple of reasons: the price tag was much higher than the hybrids we test drove (including the fully loaded versions of the Lexus CT200h, Prius, and Hyundai Sonata Hybrid); and, we were leary of the "technology" differences of this EV/gas car to that of the traditional hybrid. However, we are way beyond any of those potential buyer remorse feelings...this car is fun to drive, performs really well, and we didn't neccessarily give up any major creature comforts from our loaded Audi TT.
Favorite Features
- $7,500 tax rebate, since this qualifies as an EV car bought within the first 200,000 cars sold and we qualify per income tax. - Almost 125mpg over the first 1,000 miles. I have a 46 mile commute (roundtrip), so I can usually get to work and back on only electric. However, with the heat lately, I flip over to gas with around 3 miles to home. - Acceleration and performance - Ample amounts of technical features make it fun to drive - Made in the USA!! I do despise that GM needed a gov't bailout, but it is nice to see this technology being developed and sold by a US manufacturer...at least by buying this car, I can hope that GM can pay back the taxpayers quicker, right? ;-)
Suggested Improvements
- Scattered center console of sensatouch controllers. Could be a bit more organized and clearly segmented out. I still have to search around for controls. - Seats seem kind of "hot"; however, this might be a good thing in the MN winters. - Sunroof / moonroof would be nice (was told that a custom sunroof / moonroof may not be possible given the wiring that runs through the roof back to the battery. - Electric seats. Was told that electric seats were not an option by design in order to keep the overall car weight low - Suspension seems a bit rigid or heavy/hard. Can't tell if that's a result of lighter suspension in order to reduce overall weight of the car.