Fantastic car - best I've ever had
By dderamus on
2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)
I just purchased a Volt; great car: great performance, really fun to drive, amazing torque, very high quality build, been running it almost entirely on electricity (like many Americans, radius of my daily driving is not more than 35 miles), the gasoline engine kicks in seamlessely to extend range to 300+ miles (at approx 40 mpg), and easy to recharge at night (at a small fraction of the cost of gasoline). I'm 6'4", 2 kids, and we fit fine. Technology integration very well done - nav, backup camera, etc. all works seamlessly (incl hard drive; dvd player; easy ipod/iphone connect; voice recognition). Electric really does make driving fun again!
Favorite Features
Electric engine! seamless switch to gas; quiet interior, esp on electricity; keyless entry/remote start; surprisingly roomy; plenty of pickup and the freedom to use it (no "gas hog" guilt); no "range anxiety" with the "extended electric vehicle" concept; sound system is great. Surprisingly roomy. My teenage kids also think it's the coolest ever. The "extended E/V" is a no-brainer concept - only regret is not buying one sooner.
Suggested Improvements
Can't think of any from my perspective - best car I've ever owned or driven, in a class by itself. However, some folks might want power seats - there are no power seats at present (even on upgraded trim), to help improve battery life; easy seat adjustment controls make it a non-issue; but if some people just have to press a button rather than use a lever to adjust a seat from time-to-time, I guess the good folks at GM can work on it in future. But not an issue for me at all - I'm amazed that is the only compromise they had to make to get the electric range as high as it is. Everything else is top notch luxury (heated seats, nav, voice recog, bluetooth, keyless ent) and superb fit/finish.