EV1 Owner Waited 10 Years for the Volt
By ev1_2_volt on
2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)
My wife and I had the privilege of having a 1999 GM EV1 when it was a prototype all electric cal with a range of 90-110 miles. Only 500 1999 EV1's were produced. We loved that car! When the EV1 was taken back by GM as part of the agreed up prototye lease agreement we kept waiting and looking for an alternative fuel replacement. I do not care for the Prius, although I appreciate the technology advancements and fuel economy - - To me it is still a 100% all gasoline car. I was waiting for a plug in electric like the EV1. I was hoping for a small SUV like the early edition all electric prototype Toyota Rav. Overall, I am very pleased with the Volt. It meets all my driving needs.
Favorite Features
The Volt meets nearly all my needs. It has an all electric range of 38-50 miles in my experience. I drove it 120 miles from Scottsdale to Tucson and back for Easter weekend. I charged in Tucson at my sister's house and I used 4 gallons of gas. My equivalent milage was 60 mpg. The three weeks we've owned the car I've driven a total of 700 miles only using those 4 gallons of gas or about 175mpg. My wife's and my daily commute easily falls under 30 miles but it is nice to know we can drive as far as we want just like with and ICE car and still get 40mpg on just gas. I am an engineer and this car is loaded with features. I feel GM could have badged this as a Cadillac.
Suggested Improvements
I would like to see an SUV version and slightly larger back seat, but I do love the area available in the hatch. Obviously I would like to see the cost to come down, but realizing that new technologies take time to reach a realistic price point (think microwaves, VCRs/DVD, plasma tv's, etc). However the higher cost is greatly offset by gasoline savings. I charge automatically with the built in car timer to start charging when the rates drop to 4.2¢/kwh. My calculations indicate a cost of 2¢ per mile compared to the Lexus SUV I traded in costing 32¢ per mile. For me that's a potential savings of $3000 per year not including reduced maintenance.