Amazing Machine
By dpvolt on
2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)
I have driven the car for four weeks and put on 700 miles. Fantastic machine; very impressive technology. Nice finish on outside and inside. I have a 26 mile commute to and from my work. The only gasoline used the entire time was "maintenance mode" where the engine runs for two minutes every month (0.1 gal), even if you are all electric. I am metering the electricity used for charging the car which is averaging 7.5 kWh/day-- saving me about $3 a day. Driving without stops for fuel and not sending bucks to Exxon or the Middle East is a good feeling too. Many criticize the car based on price, but I see this car as showing that there is still impressive technological moxie in the U.S.
Favorite Features
Sporty, fun to drive. Terrific economy. Very quiet. Feeling of driving a luxury car rather than an econobox. Zippy in Sport mode. My measured fuel economy has been over 650 mpg. I go about 3.2 miles per kilowatt hour or about 220 kWh ($25) for 700 miles. First automobile I've ever been in completely in love with. The future.
Suggested Improvements
Displays needs to provide information to drivers on: * Watts into and out of battery (one second refresh rate) * Miles/kWh (one second refresh rate) * Cumulative miles per kWh All of this could be on the underutilized "Power Flow" display. - difficult blind spot for the driver on the right rear Learning curve on some of the car features and how best to drive.