Used 2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Volt - Consumer Reviews

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback

Base Hybrid 1-speed Direct Drive - (72 reviews )

Awesome car!
By volkerbradley

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Have had this car for about a month now. Topped off the gas tank when I bought the car and have not been to the gas station since. The styling is beautiful. In fact, I have been stopped by strangers on several occasions to discuss the car. The car is comfortable and has a solid feel while driving. The instrument panel is comphensive, the Bose radio sounds beautiful, having OnStar and the OnStar app on my phone is a real helpful feature.

Favorite Features

Rarely need to buy gas. Cost of driving does not fluctuate much since electricity is a managed utility. Enjoy the style, solid feel while driving, beautiful radio sound, comphensive instrument panel, OnStar app.

Suggested Improvements

In a perfect world I wished that the car was a five seater. Hopefully the price will come down with time.

Love it
By alanlpa

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Have had the volt fdor 2 weeks now, gone 300 miles and not used a drop of gas yet The estimated milage is bogus, you get much more. this car is really built, i have had 2 Pirus prior to this a 2004 and a 2007, they are like tin cans compared to the Volt.

Favorite Features

Iphone app ,

Suggested Improvements

none

Fabulous Volt
By farmedb2

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Definitely the best car I have ever owned.

Favorite Features

Instant quiet acceleration, solid handling, comfortable seats.

Suggested Improvements

A 110 volt outlet.

You can't have just have one ...
By flyguy15

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Our firrst Volt, a 2011, was my car for about a month. My wife - not a real car person - fell in love with it and took it over, leaving her Cadillac parked in the garage. I had to go out and buy a 2012 to repace it. I have owned over 50 new cars (I'm really old) and the Volt is among the top. I'm not in it for the economy - which is amazing - but for the "fun to drive" factor. In the 6 months of ownership of the 2012 I have only put gas in it once for a 400 mile weekend road trip, the rest is all electric. GM has done an awsome job with the Volt, hat's off to the team that developed it!

Volt v. Prius: Volt Wins in California
By johndhenry

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I have a 2nd Gen Prius and a Volt (first American car I’ve owned) so I have some basis to compare them. To sum it up: TOTAL COST: Volt wins over Prius – The new Prius costs nearly $43K ($36K for car and options + 8.5% CA tax + $4K in 5 year loan interest), while the Volt costs $40K ($44 for car & options + 8.5% CA tax + $0K for GM 5 year loan @ 0% interest - $9K in Fed/State tax incentives). MPG: Volt wins over Prius – After several thousands of Bay Area commute miles I am getting 80mpg. Calif HOV Lane Acess: Priceless. It is no wonder that the Volt has won so many ‘Car of the Year’ awards and Consumer Reports super high marks

Favorite Features

RIDE: Volt wins over Prius - The 3rd Gen Prius (like the 2nd Gen) was bouncy, loud, had a numb steering feel and was tinny – don’t get me wrong, I expect this from a light car that gets extremely high mileage. The best way that I can describe how the Volt drives and handles is that it is solid and extremely quiet. The doors close with a solid thud and when underway, the steering is connected to the road and the cabin is extremely quiet. Said differently, the Volt drives like a much larger/more competent ‘regular’ car without engine noise (oh, and the Volt accelerates much faster than the Prius…i.e. much better low-end torque ).

Suggested Improvements

Low front air dam scrapes driveways.