2012 Chevrolet Volt - Consumer Reviews

Base Hybrid 1-speed Direct Drive - (68 reviews )
2012 Volt - Climb the Mountains, Enjoy the Turns
By just_a_guy on 10/23/11 12:04 PM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I am EXTREMELY happy with the Volt. Lots of power up the hills. I live in the Colorado mountains and climb BIG "HILLS" every day and despite a great test drive, I was a little concerned (if an electric car had a problem it seems logical to me that the problems would be in climbing the mountains). I am over my concerns! The pick-up and power on the hills is great. Driving this car feels a little like a sports car. I think that the distribution of the battery adds weight (down low) which it turns, adds stability and handling. At present, I am at just less than 300 mpg. In summary, a SUPER BIG A+++++ to CHEVROLET AND THE VOLT. My first Chevy after 35 years of driving, and itÂ’s a good one!!!

2012 Volt in the hills and mountains of North Georgia
By jaycro on 10/16/11 02:58 AM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

For years I was a big BMW fan including an M5,M3,and 740iSport.The Volt replaced a 2011 Mazda3 Touring hatchback with leather and technology package and joins a 2001 CTS wagon,an Infinity G35s and a Siverado truck We have driven the Volt 781 total miles and 749 of these have been on the battery burning 1.3 gallons of gas The body panels fit is excellent,the crystal red paint is the best factory paint I have ever owned.The interior with black leather and dark accents is attractive and very comfortable but not quite as nice as the CTS or the BMW's I have owned .The Nav,backup camera are fantastic along with the Bose system .The car drives,steers and stops like a properEuro sedan

2012 Volt Experience
By newvoltowner on 10/11/11 21:36 PM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I've had my Volt for a week and a half and I am very happy with it. I want to share as much as I can for those on the fence about it, I sure spent a lot of time thinking about it and weighing the options before I made this move. I was also considering the leaf, but I went with the volt because of the extended range with the gas engine. I was I was sure happy that I did when I was driving to my parents house this weekend (47 miles away) and the gas engine kicked in. It takes about 8 hours to charge on 120v. So I can drive during the day, come home and charge. I do plan to get a 240volt charger but I would say it is not a requirement. Check www.spx.com/volt for free chargers.

I love this car
By mholt9 on 10/07/11 19:50 PM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I test drove the Volt because I wanted to contribute to a reduction in our reliance on oil for 97% of our critical transportation needs. I bought the Volt because I loved everything about the car. The Volt's battery life allows me to complete my 42 mile round-trip commute without using a drop of gasoline. But, I can also take long trips without any "range anxiety." I have driven 6,500 miles, including some interstate trips on which I used a total of 42 gallons of gas. Otherwise, its all electric. Either way, the car is a joy to drive because it is so smooth and fluid -- refined may be a better description.

Voltastic
By hodad66 on 09/25/11 16:45 PM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Drove home a new, 2012 Volt the other day. Great car! I had been waiting for another EV but test drove the Volt when it became available in Florida. The interior is stylish and gives the feeling of being in a sports car. GM is currently offering an incentive lease that I just couldn't ignore.

10,026 miles later
By wheresmyvolt on 07/30/11 04:08 AM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

After 7 months and 10,026 miles I have to say that the Volt bests even our beloved Prius. Over its life to date, I have used only 69.3 gallons of gasoline, or 144.6 mpg. I am getting between 42 and 48 miles of battery driving each day of my 72-mile commute. To fully charge the battery for those 42-47 miles it costs 82 cents. I am getting between 35 and 41 mpg when the internal combustion engine is recharging the battery.

Great Vehicle
By flyguy15 on 07/28/11 14:31 PM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

100% pleased. I bought this car for myself, but my wife loves it so much that I am ordering another one for her. Forget any negative press you may have heard - you have to drive it to appreciate it. I have owned sports cars, SUV's, sport sedans (BMW M5) and this car is the best all around car. The technology is amazing. I can charge at home and at the office and have only used about 1.67 gallons of gas in a month. It costs more to wash the car than put gas in! Go to a dealer and drive one. I'm 6'2" and have plenty of room.

Amazing
By bubikon on 07/06/11 18:13 PM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

OK, it is not a vehicle to be reviewed like all others, i.e. zero to 60, handling, Corinthian leather, etc. It is just a completely different concept of driving a car. The thrill exists because it uses virtually no gasoline, unless you drive over 40 miles. Even then it seemlessly transfers to a 35 mpg Chevrolet. But the fun is keeping it in electric and Chevrolet has a wonderful panoply of buttons and dials for your pleasure to fiddle your way to quiet, electric bliss. The average person fills up about every month, and now I get 15 mpg in everyday use. This is the perfect car for the two car commuter family. Fit and finish are adequate and the style is Prius modern, but who cares.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Chevrolet Volt in VA is:

$122 per month*