Used 2012 Chevrolet Volt Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Volt - Consumer Reviews

Base Hybrid 1-speed Direct Drive - (71 reviews )

What a fantastic car
By joesp

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I was in need of a new car after my 2003 Mazda6 S with over 200 K miles decided to call it quits. My driving style and commute requires a car with some power and great handling too. Also, I was also looking for something good on gas. I got a little frustrated with the options available out there after three weeks o continued research. The field was limited to compromises between smaller high performance cars or boring sedans but nothing really fulfill my taste and needs until I went to check out the Volt. I drove the car and was sold. Still went home and researched this car. After a month and 1400 miles and just $17 worth of gas, I am more convinced that I made the right choice. NO regrets!

Favorite Features

Stability and performance. Extremely comfortable for four and a smooth ride. This car can keep up with the crazy Atlanta traffic and will match the big guys performance.

Suggested Improvements

For the charger to be integrated to the car and for this charger to have the 220 and110 V charging capability.

Amped Up
By volt47

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Bought a 2012 Volt after ordering a Prius plug in. When I heard my Prius was almost here I took a test drive in a Prius and a Volt; no comparison! The Volt was more solid, better quality, more comfortable, higher tech, etc. I've had it 3 months and love everything about it. I've driven it 45 miles on a single charge and if I don't go on a trip I never put gas in it. When it runs on gas I get 40 mpg. It's a good looking car inside and out and the technology is amazing. It's training me to be a conscientious driver and doing it in style.

Favorite Features

Charging is simple on a standard outlet. The ride is incredibly comfortable and quiet. The sound system is excellent. I just get clost to it, and it knows I'm its owner.

Suggested Improvements

The ront pillar is a bit in the way so pedestrians are sometimes hiding in my blind spot.

Review from a car enthusiast
By quattro

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I like cars that handle well, beautifully design and well put together.Been driving my volt for 3wks and I'm glad to say the volt is all that.Never had GM b4 bc of the quality of cars I have seen.Volt is nothing like that.A technological marvel and very polished from its display, drivetrain, design, handling to how its put together.Doesn't feel like a first gen product at all.GM should be real proud. I have a gen 2 Prius, BMW x5 diesel. prius is light as paper,noisy,drives like a cheap economy car. Diesel rattles and it's noisy.Volt rides like a luxury car and feels safe,substantial and quiet U get the most if your commute is ~ the ev range Got 41 miles on e Try it out u will be converted

Favorite Features

Super smooth and quiet. No vibration, noise from engine when on e Great torque from stop. Great for stop and go traffic Handling is good for a commute car. Little roll when cornering. Good body control Quiet and feels substantial. Doors close with a thub and not a ping like the Prius. Chassis is very rigid-no squeak or rattle when going over bumps. Its sufficiently quiet even when on gas. Attractive interior/exterior design Good quality material inside out Well put together Nice bose sound system A very polished and not half baked product

Suggested Improvements

Push the rear roofline back (like the Prius) to allow more leg and head room in the back. Prius seats 4 sub 6 ft adults reasonably comfortably. I feel a little claustrophic in the back. Only my 8 yrs old sits in the back and he has no complain. The modified roofline will allow for increased trunk space also which is just adequate in the volt Improve mpg when in gas mode Extend ev range lower the price-yes, i want everything :)

EV1 Owner Waited 10 Years for the Volt
By ev1_2_volt

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

My wife and I had the privilege of having a 1999 GM EV1 when it was a prototype all electric cal with a range of 90-110 miles. Only 500 1999 EV1's were produced. We loved that car! When the EV1 was taken back by GM as part of the agreed up prototye lease agreement we kept waiting and looking for an alternative fuel replacement. I do not care for the Prius, although I appreciate the technology advancements and fuel economy - - To me it is still a 100% all gasoline car. I was waiting for a plug in electric like the EV1. I was hoping for a small SUV like the early edition all electric prototype Toyota Rav. Overall, I am very pleased with the Volt. It meets all my driving needs.

Favorite Features

The Volt meets nearly all my needs. It has an all electric range of 38-50 miles in my experience. I drove it 120 miles from Scottsdale to Tucson and back for Easter weekend. I charged in Tucson at my sister's house and I used 4 gallons of gas. My equivalent milage was 60 mpg. The three weeks we've owned the car I've driven a total of 700 miles only using those 4 gallons of gas or about 175mpg. My wife's and my daily commute easily falls under 30 miles but it is nice to know we can drive as far as we want just like with and ICE car and still get 40mpg on just gas. I am an engineer and this car is loaded with features. I feel GM could have badged this as a Cadillac.

Suggested Improvements

I would like to see an SUV version and slightly larger back seat, but I do love the area available in the hatch. Obviously I would like to see the cost to come down, but realizing that new technologies take time to reach a realistic price point (think microwaves, VCRs/DVD, plasma tv's, etc). However the higher cost is greatly offset by gasoline savings. I charge automatically with the built in car timer to start charging when the rates drop to 4.2/kwh. My calculations indicate a cost of 2 per mile compared to the Lexus SUV I traded in costing 32 per mile. For me that's a potential savings of $3000 per year not including reduced maintenance.

Awesome car!
By volkerbradley

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Have had this car for about a month now. Topped off the gas tank when I bought the car and have not been to the gas station since. The styling is beautiful. In fact, I have been stopped by strangers on several occasions to discuss the car. The car is comfortable and has a solid feel while driving. The instrument panel is comphensive, the Bose radio sounds beautiful, having OnStar and the OnStar app on my phone is a real helpful feature.

Favorite Features

Rarely need to buy gas. Cost of driving does not fluctuate much since electricity is a managed utility. Enjoy the style, solid feel while driving, beautiful radio sound, comphensive instrument panel, OnStar app.

Suggested Improvements

In a perfect world I wished that the car was a five seater. Hopefully the price will come down with time.