Used 2012 Chevrolet Volt Consumer Reviews - 81 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Volt - Consumer Reviews

Base Hybrid 1-speed Direct Drive - (81 reviews )

After one month...
By mwfromva75

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I figured I would wait a little while before I commented on this car.
I can not say enough how good it feels to drive this car right past every gas station where I used to keep such a close eye at the prices of gas.
Now I don't care!

I have yet to use one drop of gas, 500 miles all on electricity!
It's a wonderful feeling!

The car itself is nice!
It rides VERY well for a small car and it is super quiet!
If you're thinking about this car I advise you to go drive one - you will find it hard not to buy it after one drive!
It's THAT impressive!

Electricity, ride quality, buttons!, smooth acceleration

power seats, more range on electric!

I LOVE my Volt
By bdc1963

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

This car is so much fun to drive. I have 100% renewable electricity so "fueling" the car is truly environmentally friendly and what little I spend to do so stays in America. This car is very smooth and quiet with good handling and braking.

Driving past the gas station and not having to stop. Smooth, quiet electric drive.

Extended electric range Lower price

2 months/1600 miles- 10 gallons of gas- lots of fun
By markgrogers

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I have had this car for two months now and driven nearly 1600 miles in it. Not a
single squeak, rattle or defect. I love the hatchback- plenty of room when rear
seats are folded. Onstar works greatand its FREE for 3 years. Satellite radio is
a blast. Great handling, very comfortable ride.

I have spent only about $40 in
gas for two months (and still have 5 gallons in the tank). Averaging more than 110
MPG when combining battery & gas usage (see
voltstats.net for real world stats
of more than 1500 Volts posted by owners-not by GM- many are doing better than me
on mileage). Routinely averaging 45-50 miles on battery when driving carefully.
Not a home run- a Grand Slam!

Great front leg room and front seats. Back seats OK, but not much leg room if front seats are all the way back. I, for one, LOVE the touch controls as dual LCD screens. Get the back-up camera/proximity sensors for the best visibility. Great ride, handles very well (has standard traction control), smooth acceleration, QUIET when on battery, good auto climate controls, decent brakes, using "Low" gear allows you to slow car without braking. Pass gas stations with a smile. Zero "range anxiety"- go as far as the batteries will take you, then switch seamlessly to gas engine "generator".

More rear seat legroom would be nice. Roof line is really low fir aerodynamics, but I am getting used to it I would like to see a "wagon" style model for more cargo space. Honestly, there is not much to dislike- drive one yourself and see.

Best car ever owned
By cody1943

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

7 weeks, 1458 miles, 2/10s of a gallon of gas and $26.41 elect cost.
If you drive less than 50 miles a day, wow what a great car. Winter may prove to be a challenge.
Fun, fast and cheap to drive.
Never in my life time did I think I would see a car that got over 100 + miles per gallon.
Chevy hit a home run with this car.
Did I mention FUN.
Its expensive, but what other car can you get some of your money back buy not stopping at the gas station 4-6 times a month at 50 to 60 bucks a time.

Center monitor, digital speedometer, leather, smooth transmission with no delays. Volt stats.com, 3 years onstar, xm radio. 0 % financing, now .09%.

Make 5 passengerr.

happy volt owner
By solarvolt

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Writing this review after 5 months of volt ownership. I was waiting to buy a plug in hybrid/EV and researched all available models like the Leaf, Focus electric, C-max, prius etc. After evaluating the pure EV's like Leaf, Focus etc., I decided that the Volt range of 40 miles per full charge satisfied my daily commuter needs. I had not owned an American car for about 20 years now and was skeptical of the quality. But the rave reviews from Volt owners convinced me to test drive one. It was love at first drive. I was impressed with the way an electric car drives and how solid this car felt. The transition to gas when electric runs out is seamless and
have to look at the gauges to realize.

The optional Bose sound system is excellent. The bass produced is the best I have heard in a car stereo and I am an audiophile. The ride is quiet, comfortable and smooth. I am averaging 38-40 miles on a full electric charge even in 100 degree Texas heat. During spring, I could get over 40 miles without the a/c turned on. I have not had to fill up the tank in 4 months and I will never fill up the tank again unless I am going on a long trip because I am having a hard time using up the gas since I prefer driving on electric charge. I really like the feedback I get from the gauges like the optimum acceleration and braking to conserve energy.

Adjustable power seats for driver at least, even though I have found good driving position manually. More range like 60-80 miles on electric will be good but not necessary for most folks commute. Sunroof would also be nice.