Used 2012 Chevrolet Volt Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Volt - Consumer Reviews

Base Hybrid 1-speed Direct Drive - (74 reviews )

Why the Volt makes sense for me
By palmbeachcpa

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I traded my 2010 Mazda 3 in for a 2012 Chevy Volt and couldn't be happier. I drive 14 miles each way to work so I can go the entire week without using gas. Had it for a month and averaging 105 mpg, and that includes two 150 mile trips to Miami. I was going to get a newer 2012 Mazda 3 but after doing some analysis, I figured that I would save $4K over five years by getting the Volt. How you may ask? Simple, I am eligible for a $7500 tax credit and I save $200/ mo on gas. So if you do the math, the Volt costs $8K more than the Mazda3 after the tax credit, but will save $12K in gas over 5 years. And that is taking into account increased electric, and an occational fill up in the Volt. Sweet!

Drive system, appearance, handling, leather seats, 3 years of Onstar included.

The center stack needs to be simplified, rear seating is tight, nice to have a sunroof.

Great car to drive
By steve437

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

We recently bought a Volt and love driving it. We test drove a Prius at the same time, and the acceleration + handling of the Volt was much better. Its a really fun car to drive. With my commute (35 miles round trip) we're getting over 160 miles per gallon.

More affordable than I thought...
By pcain

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I've had my 2012 Volt for a month now, and I'm confident in saying that Chevrolet has delivered on all of it's promisies: This car is qiuet, quick, comfortable and cost effective. When I first saw the $40,000 base price, I wasn't sure that I could afford it. However, when I factor in the money I save each month on gas, this is actually the most affordable car I've ever owned. The federal and state incentives are also a big help. Just like everybody else says, it feels powerful and solidly built. The on-board technology is delightful. I bought the base model, because the "standard" features on this car would be premium options on any other car. Technologically, the Volt stands alone.

The "infotainment " system is really great. I'm a concert sound engineer, and am usually dissapointed with "stock" car stereos. The Volt's sound system is a delight. I like to stream audio from my iPhone via Bluetooth. I also really like the mobile App, wich lets me control the car's locks and climate settings remotely. On a hot day, it's great to be able to cool down the car before I get in. I also like that it can be easily charged on 110 volts. The 220 volt charger is completely optional. I charge at home durring off peak hours, and pay around 40 cents for a full charge. I'm also able to charge for free at work. So, I don't pay a lot to keep this car rolling.

In the future, when batterey technology improves signifigantly, it would be great to offer an upgraded battery for the Volt. 40 miles is a perfectly functional range, however, 80 would be even better. The front air dam is pretty low, and scrapes quite a bit. Perhaps an active suspension could give the car more ground clearance up front at low speeds? Other than that... Don't change a thing!

What a fantastic car
By joesp

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I was in need of a new car after my 2003 Mazda6 S with over 200 K miles decided to call it quits. My driving style and commute requires a car with some power and great handling too. Also, I was also looking for something good on gas. I got a little frustrated with the options available out there after three weeks o continued research. The field was limited to compromises between smaller high performance cars or boring sedans but nothing really fulfill my taste and needs until I went to check out the Volt. I drove the car and was sold. Still went home and researched this car. After a month and 1400 miles and just $17 worth of gas, I am more convinced that I made the right choice. NO regrets!

Stability and performance. Extremely comfortable for four and a smooth ride. This car can keep up with the crazy Atlanta traffic and will match the big guys performance.

For the charger to be integrated to the car and for this charger to have the 220 and110 V charging capability.

Amped Up
By volt47

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Bought a 2012 Volt after ordering a Prius plug in. When I heard my Prius was almost here I took a test drive in a Prius and a Volt; no comparison! The Volt was more solid, better quality, more comfortable, higher tech, etc. I've had it 3 months and love everything about it. I've driven it 45 miles on a single charge and if I don't go on a trip I never put gas in it. When it runs on gas I get 40 mpg. It's a good looking car inside and out and the technology is amazing. It's training me to be a conscientious driver and doing it in style.

Charging is simple on a standard outlet. The ride is incredibly comfortable and quiet. The sound system is excellent. I just get clost to it, and it knows I'm its owner.

The ront pillar is a bit in the way so pedestrians are sometimes hiding in my blind spot.