2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

Base Hybrid 1-speed Direct Drive - (68 reviews )
Cold Weather Issues
By voltguy on 12/28/11 21:39 PM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

This car has great potential and I really like it, but reconsider getting one if you live in an area with cold weather. When I first got the car in the first week in November I was getting the 35 miles GM claims. As it got colder I now only get 25 miles on a full charge. GM is telling me this is normal. At 25 miles, I'm actually only getting about 17-20 since I have to run heat. I have been doing the math and with amount of electric it takes to charge for just 17-20 actual miles, it costs more than burring gas. The dealer has told me there is nothing they can do about the issue. I hope GM gets this issues fixed.

Exceeds Expectations
By firebirdbandit on 12/21/11 08:33 AM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I had extremely high expectations for this car and it has exceeded them. I previously drove a Pontiac Firebird Formula V8 350 LT1 engine and the Volt is way more fun to drive. It is very well built, comfortable and drives awesome. Feels like I went into the future. I am trying to find all kinds of excuses to go driving. The car is also a great value. It seems expensive but when you compare it to the 5 year cost to own, it is below many other popular cars including the Taurus, Camaro and Maxima.

My first American car
By quartz3 on 12/18/11 08:09 AM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I have been driving this car as I normally would for a little over 6 months now. I have used 22 gallons to cover 6500 miles, which included routes that are 50 miles each way. Sometimes I am too busy with my life and not plugging it in as I should. So there is a reason for me to believe I could have used less fuel. This car driving dynamic is surprisingly good compared to the BMW I traded in. This car feels notability more powerful than Leaf and Prius, also feels as having more torque than Sonata hybrid. The interior is not what you would call luxury in a traditional sense; however, there are lots of little interactions with the systems that will make you pleasantly surprised. And those

Amazing Economic Sportscar
By l4kmttnt on 12/08/11 17:25 PM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Outstanding experience thus far! I am an integration manager for a large company traveling 40+ wks out of the year. This has given me the opportunity to drive many, many makes and models of vehicles as I must rent a car every week for work. When my wife and I decided to purchase a new car last month -we specifically went to our local Chevy dealer in search of a Chevy Cruze as I felt it was the BEST sporty and economical car of choice. HOWEVER, we had the chance to drive a Volt and immediately fell in love with the performance, comfort, long-range savings opportunity and overall sportiness of the car. We are 100% happy thus far and look forward to many satisfying miles as we pass by the pump.

Problem after only 2000 miles
By dsylvestre on 12/02/11 12:26 PM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Developed an error message after only 2,000 miles. Apparently, the antenna was defective.

Will this be what most people drive in the future?
By masterofnone2 on 11/30/11 06:41 AM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

What a car! They did a marvelous job. I can only compare this to the Prius I previously owned. The Volt is far more comfortable and much smoother. I have to admit I got tired of the Prius shaking when the engine shut down and hessitating when the engine started. There is no shaking or shuddering or studdering when the volt engine starts and stops. In fact you can't hardly hear the engine. The prius was a little quieter inside than the volt. There is a little wind noise in the rear of the volt. Not much difference though. After federal tax credit, the Volt costs about the same as a Buick. Great car. I'm proud to do my part in reducing the amount of foreign oil we use.

Amazing car
By ghendrick456 on 11/09/11 07:58 AM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

This car has continued to amaze me since the day I drove it off the lot. The build quality and solid ride is more like a Lexus or a BMW than a Chevrolet. The drivetrain is a remarkable achievement. In electric mode the car is practically silent. I have been driving the car for over 2,000 miles now and my average MPG is about 144. While some people might gawk at the sticker price... They would be wrong. The high residual value, $7,500 tax break combined with the extremely low lease interest rates result in monthly payments that are lower than my previous Toyota Camry. This car finances at very affordable prices considering the high quality & features. You will also save $7500 on fuel

Amazing Machine
By dpvolt on 11/03/11 13:09 PM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I have driven the car for four weeks and put on 700 miles. Fantastic machine; very impressive technology. Nice finish on outside and inside. I have a 26 mile commute to and from my work. The only gasoline used the entire time was "maintenance mode" where the engine runs for two minutes every month (0.1 gal), even if you are all electric. I am metering the electricity used for charging the car which is averaging 7.5 kWh/day-- saving me about $3 a day. Driving without stops for fuel and not sending bucks to Exxon or the Middle East is a good feeling too. Many criticize the car based on price, but I see this car as showing that there is still impressive technological moxie in the U.S.

NC Volt
By ncvolt on 11/02/11 08:09 AM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Waited until I used my first gallon of gas to write this review. My daily commute is about 32 miles round trip; I also have the ability to charge the vehicle while at work. Traveled 620 miles on my first gallon. The car is expensive and over priced even with the tax credit, BUT it is fun to drive (has become a game to keep my efficiency rate high under all conditions) and I haven’t looked at the price of gas in over 3 weeks! Just beginning to get cold here and have seen a reduction in the range but not an issue getting to and from work. Without the ability to charge at work, I would be at the outer edge of the range under these conditions to fully maximize the technology. So far it has performed as promised and has been a great purchase. Clearly the price point will keep it from many folks but as it comes down over time many more will have the ability to enjoy this wonderful vehicle!

Baby is just two days old
By richardnbaton on 11/01/11 10:15 AM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

My second day driving it to work. Loved it from the start. Quiet. First day I got 41.3 miles on battery. I didn't use any ac/heat or radio. On the way home got 54 miles on 1.2 gallons of gas. I drove 50 mph on the frontage road (no stops). My efficiency reach 97%. When I got back on the interstate I went upto 65. Second day, I ran the heater for a little while, this was before I realized that Fan Only put out enough heat. Made it to work with 38.6 miles on battery and .36 gals of gas. The car drive is excellent. The interior is sharp and rich. No cheap plastic parts. The Energy ball makes it like a game to drive.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback in VA is:

$120 per month*