2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

Base Hybrid 1-speed Direct Drive - (68 reviews )
EV1 Owner Waited 10 Years for the Volt
By ev1_2_volt on 04/20/12 08:38 AM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

My wife and I had the privilege of having a 1999 GM EV1 when it was a prototype all electric cal with a range of 90-110 miles. Only 500 1999 EV1's were produced. We loved that car! When the EV1 was taken back by GM as part of the agreed up prototye lease agreement we kept waiting and looking for an alternative fuel replacement. I do not care for the Prius, although I appreciate the technology advancements and fuel economy - - To me it is still a 100% all gasoline car. I was waiting for a plug in electric like the EV1. I was hoping for a small SUV like the early edition all electric prototype Toyota Rav. Overall, I am very pleased with the Volt. It meets all my driving needs.

Awesome car!
By volkerbradley on 04/18/12 04:31 AM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Have had this car for about a month now. Topped off the gas tank when I bought the car and have not been to the gas station since. The styling is beautiful. In fact, I have been stopped by strangers on several occasions to discuss the car. The car is comfortable and has a solid feel while driving. The instrument panel is comphensive, the Bose radio sounds beautiful, having OnStar and the OnStar app on my phone is a real helpful feature.

Love it
By alanlpa on 04/13/12 06:59 AM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Have had the volt fdor 2 weeks now, gone 300 miles and not used a drop of gas yet The estimated milage is bogus, you get much more. this car is really built, i have had 2 Pirus prior to this a 2004 and a 2007, they are like tin cans compared to the Volt.

Fabulous Volt
By farmedb2 on 04/03/12 12:42 PM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Definitely the best car I have ever owned.

You can't have just have one ...
By flyguy15 on 03/31/12 18:50 PM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Our firrst Volt, a 2011, was my car for about a month. My wife - not a real car person - fell in love with it and took it over, leaving her Cadillac parked in the garage. I had to go out and buy a 2012 to repace it. I have owned over 50 new cars (I'm really old) and the Volt is among the top. I'm not in it for the economy - which is amazing - but for the "fun to drive" factor. In the 6 months of ownership of the 2012 I have only put gas in it once for a 400 mile weekend road trip, the rest is all electric. GM has done an awsome job with the Volt, hat's off to the team that developed it!

Volt v. Prius: Volt Wins in California
By johndhenry on 03/23/12 10:41 AM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I have a 2nd Gen Prius and a Volt (first American car I’ve owned) so I have some basis to compare them. To sum it up: TOTAL COST: Volt wins over Prius – The new Prius costs nearly $43K ($36K for car and options + 8.5% CA tax + $4K in 5 year loan interest), while the Volt costs $40K ($44 for car & options + 8.5% CA tax + $0K for GM 5 year loan @ 0% interest - $9K in Fed/State tax incentives). MPG: Volt wins over Prius – After several thousands of Bay Area commute miles I am getting 80mpg. Calif HOV Lane Acess: Priceless. It is no wonder that the Volt has won so many ‘Car of the Year’ awards and Consumer Reports super high marks

Volt performance excellent
By craigrc53 on 03/06/12 10:35 AM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I live in North Dakota and have 4000 miles on my Volt in 2 1/2 months of ownership. I warm my car before leaving home in the AM and at night before leaving the office. It is nice and warm when I get in it for my drive to or from work. Of the 4000 well over 1/2 are highway miles. My overall mileage including warm up and highway miles is about 60 MPG. No other car on the market will perform at that level and certainly not with the solid ride, quiet interior, great sound system and at least to my taste, good looks. I expect my overall gas mileage to climb significantly as warmer weather approaches and I have fewer long trips and, as a result, will have a higher percentage of elecectric mi

Fantastic car - best I've ever had
By dderamus on 03/03/12 07:22 AM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I just purchased a Volt; great car: great performance, really fun to drive, amazing torque, very high quality build, been running it almost entirely on electricity (like many Americans, radius of my daily driving is not more than 35 miles), the gasoline engine kicks in seamlessely to extend range to 300+ miles (at approx 40 mpg), and easy to recharge at night (at a small fraction of the cost of gasoline). I'm 6'4", 2 kids, and we fit fine. Technology integration very well done - nav, backup camera, etc. all works seamlessly (incl hard drive; dvd player; easy ipod/iphone connect; voice recognition). Electric really does make driving fun again!

Cold Weather Volt Owner
By voltman on 02/27/12 07:35 AM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I live in Minnesota and have 2 months of winter driving experience with my Volt. Like other owners I can say I love the car. Fit and finish and design are stunning. The heater works fine which was a concern of mine. There are 2 heater modes. Eco consumes less battery but doesn't heat as effectively. Regular is equivalent to other cars. When it is quite cold (less than 28 F), the battery will get you 33 miles but beware the gas engine will go on for about 5 of those miles to keep the battery and cabin warm. The best you'll get is about 130 mpg for those 33 miles. Above 30 F, you can expect 30 miles per charge with no use of the gas engine. In general, I have gotten 37 mpg on gas.

No. 2392, 9 months, 26000 miles, OK
By talbottsolar on 02/18/12 21:19 PM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

The Volt is eerily quiet. I drove for weeks with the windows down just to understand what it was doing. It accelerates like an elevator, just tire noise and a stiff push from the seat. My wife was driving us up to Lassen Lodge, nice wide winding mountain roads not much traffic, listening to "Il Volo" on the Bose sound system, and chatting away at more than a mile a minute as it turned out! She was driving in her comfort zone, and was substantially over the speed limit! It's a really nice car. I've been in for the free oil change at Maita Chevy, and to repair a flat tire. Mileage is 55 MPG. Fuel savings is $1K. With the tax credit. and fuel savings it has cost me zero to own this Volt.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback in VA is:

$120 per month*