Used 2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 81 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

Base Hybrid 1-speed Direct Drive - (81 reviews )

2013 Chevy Volt
By standres

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I purchased the Chevy Volt 2013 in June 2013 and I already drove over 1500 miles and I had only put in gasoline (not premium) three times. The gasoline tank capacity is about 9.5 gallons (full). The car was making 51 miles only using the battery and about 43mpg using the gasoline alternator, so about driving 94miles with the use only 1gallon of gasoline. Smooth drive when is using the battery, a little vibrating and nose when using the gasoline alternator. The front seats are manually operated. Already from the 2012 model has not yet change in this 2013 is the lack of space for the rear passengers (legs and head).

Nice firm seats, great acceleration car ride. OnStar very helpful as well mobile apps that allow starting the car lock and unlock the door, all from your phone.

This car is very nose inside so the use of the Bluetooth/hands free for your telephone is very limited due to the other end that you are talking to can't listen. The other cons that I see is the touch controls are so sensitive that easily can activate some other while you try to work in your screen touch. One important fact to consider prior to choose this car is the home charger, the car comes with one for use only in any outlet 110v, (full charge between 10-16 hours), GM endorse only Bosh manufacture for the charger to use 220v (4 hours full charge) that goes from $ 450 to $ 3000 (just the charger) and installation from $900 to $ 1000 ++

2012 Chevy Volt
By stratoguy

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I purchased this car on May 31, 2012. I have had the car now for almost 13 months and I have only put in gasoline after 12 months and only because it said the gas was going stale so I should add gas. It came with 9.5 gallons (full) and so I only used 7 gallons in one year and over 9500 miles. It is amazing. Because I mostly drive the car optimumly by the computer suggestion of keeping the Turning Earth in the center target, I usually get between 44 and 48 miles per charge which is enough for me to do most of my errands and tasks without running the gas generator most of the time. The cost here in CA for a full charge of electricity to go those 44-48 miles is only $1.50.
Amazing.

Touch screen controls and soft touch sensing buttons. Nice firm seats and great acceleration and sports car ride. I have had a Porche, Corvette, Infiniti, and so many nice luxury and sports cars but I can honestly say this is one of the nicest cars I have had and fun to drive.

Solar panels on the roof to run A/C and keep car cool on the road without using the extra electricity to do that and keep car cool when parked.

Great design BUT poor implementation by GM
By ronmaf

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I purchased two Volts, One for my wife and one for myself in July 2012. We drove them all over. One went to Baltimore the other to Tampa. The car averaged 130 MPG. at the 7th month of ownership I started hearing this loud sound like an electric Drill every time I coated to a stop of hit the brakes. I gave the car to the dealer, it took them a week to fix. 10 days and 300 or so miles later the car has the same obnoxious sound. I went back to the dealer. This time they called in a GM Engineer to take a look. They have had it for a week already with no fix in sight. I really loved the technology of the car, but GM cannot get the quality right. there is the GM-Volt forum with more info.

MPG and Torque is great, not to mention the Bose sound system and the Navigation was top notch. It was also really the quietest car I have ever owned. Too bad it isn't as reliable as I expect from a $45000 car! So far my Wife is not having any major issues from the car!

Reliability! GM...QUALITY ASSURANCE, please invest in it! Center touch console is annoying after some time. For the money a Cadillac-esque console would be welcome.

100 mpg +++++
By borchone1

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Over 5900 miles and used 21 gallons of gas and $135 elect.
ZERO problems.
Handles great in snow.
Heater is great.
Grandkids stay warm in back at 0 degrees.
Yesterday drove 54 miles and total cost elect and gas was $2.33 and it was 34 degrees outside.
34 miles in elect and 20 miles on gas.
Summer gives me 45-50 miles on elect.
Cost me at most 69 cents to charge per night.
Special time of day rates with elect. co.
Great car and only stopped at for gas 3 times in 7 mos.
Fast, fun and great car.
One of best cars i'ved owned out of 41.
Great car GM and thanks to Pres. George Bush for helpping get this started.

Great gas mileage after battery runs down. Great battery range, even in winter if you watch the heater.

Back windshield wiper.

Volt is a No-Brainer over Prius
By ntvolt

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

It's like a game driving this car, to see how far I can go. I average 45-53 miles on a single charge. 3 year lease is Cheaper than a regular Prius BEFORE the $1,500 CA rebate. Volt = $329 MO vs. Prius at $299 MO. Volt is $1,080 more over 36 mos. But you get a $1,500 rebate on the volt, bringing the 3 year cost from the time you walk in the dealer till the time you turn it in to $420 less than a Prius. 36,000 miles each, Prius will use 720 gallons of gas no matter what at $4 per gal. = $2,880. If you drive less than 40 miles a day, Volt will cost you $0 in gas and about $1.50 per full charge for 40 miles. $1,350 for 36,000 miles. 3 year savings = $1,950

5,500 miles so far, I've used 4.2 gallons in gas. I still have yet to see a gas station with this car. Even for those that use 50% electric and 50% gas driving 70 miles a day, that still means they are only using 1 gallon of gas per day! You'd use 514 gallons over 36,000 miles at 50/50 driving. This car with the weight of the batteries down low, rides nicer than my Jaguar. It is so amazingly solid for a small car. The Prius feels like a toy car compared to the Volt. The $40,000 price tag scares people away, but as the numbers show, it's cheaper than a regular Prius and FAR cheaper than the plug-in Prius that goes 12 miles on electric only. No Comparison! And I have CARPOOL lane stickers!!!!

Put run-flat tires on it, get rid of the spare and throw a few extra batteries in that space and bring up the range to an EPA rated 50 miles on electric only and this thing would be amazing. I get 45-53 miles on my EPA rated 35 mile Volt, so with a 50 mile EPA rating, I'd be pushing 65 miles a day. At least make it an option to buy another 3 kilowatts worth of batteries.