2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

Base Hybrid 1-speed Direct Drive - (68 reviews )
Best car ever owned
By cody1943 on 07/29/12 19:08 PM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

7 weeks, 1458 miles, 2/10s of a gallon of gas and $26.41 elect cost. If you drive less than 50 miles a day, wow what a great car. Winter may prove to be a challenge. Fun, fast and cheap to drive. Never in my life time did I think I would see a car that got over 100 + miles per gallon. Chevy hit a home run with this car. Did I mention FUN. Its expensive, but what other car can you get some of your money back buy not stopping at the gas station 4-6 times a month at 50 to 60 bucks a time.

happy volt owner
By solarvolt on 07/27/12 20:47 PM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Writing this review after 5 months of volt ownership. I was waiting to buy a plug in hybrid/EV and researched all available models like the Leaf, Focus electric, C-max, prius etc. After evaluating the pure EV's like Leaf, Focus etc., I decided that the Volt range of 40 miles per full charge satisfied my daily commuter needs. I had not owned an American car for about 20 years now and was skeptical of the quality. But the rave reviews from Volt owners convinced me to test drive one. It was love at first drive. I was impressed with the way an electric car drives and how solid this car felt. The transition to gas when electric runs out is seamless and have to look at the gauges to realize.

RE-VOLT
By revolt on 07/26/12 23:54 PM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Being an auto enthusiast and race driver, I have one basic safety criteria for a car beyond the standard crash testing. This is collision avoidance and includes: handling, breaking, and acceleration. The Volt exceeds these needs. After looking at the available hybrids last year, my wife purchase a Volt. 6500 miles later and averaging over 250mpg, the car is great! She loves the car, averages 38mi/chg, has numerous places to plug-in on her daily routine and rarely uses gas. When I replaced my vehicle, I looked at what was available and purchased our second Volt. 1500 mi later, I have only used 3.1gal of gas, and average 42mi/chg 240V charger is a must have for multiple trips.

First 1,000 Miles in the Volt
By mn_volt on 07/23/12 13:02 PM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

After test driving pretty much every comparable hybrid, we traded in our Audi TT Roadster for the 2012 Chevy Volt. After the first 1,000 miles, we both love driving this car!! We were hesitant for a couple of reasons: the price tag was much higher than the hybrids we test drove (including the fully loaded versions of the Lexus CT200h, Prius, and Hyundai Sonata Hybrid); and, we were leary of the "technology" differences of this EV/gas car to that of the traditional hybrid. However, we are way beyond any of those potential buyer remorse feelings...this car is fun to drive, performs really well, and we didn't neccessarily give up any major creature comforts from our loaded Audi TT.

Why the Volt makes sense for me
By palmbeachcpa on 07/03/12 06:51 AM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I traded my 2010 Mazda 3 in for a 2012 Chevy Volt and couldn't be happier. I drive 14 miles each way to work so I can go the entire week without using gas. Had it for a month and averaging 105 mpg, and that includes two 150 mile trips to Miami. I was going to get a newer 2012 Mazda 3 but after doing some analysis, I figured that I would save $4K over five years by getting the Volt. How you may ask? Simple, I am eligible for a $7500 tax credit and I save $200/ mo on gas. So if you do the math, the Volt costs $8K more than the Mazda3 after the tax credit, but will save $12K in gas over 5 years. And that is taking into account increased electric, and an occational fill up in the Volt. Sweet!

Great car to drive
By steve437 on 06/26/12 05:01 AM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

We recently bought a Volt and love driving it. We test drove a Prius at the same time, and the acceleration + handling of the Volt was much better. Its a really fun car to drive. With my commute (35 miles round trip) we're getting over 160 miles per gallon.

More affordable than I thought...
By pcain on 06/18/12 13:14 PM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I've had my 2012 Volt for a month now, and I'm confident in saying that Chevrolet has delivered on all of it's promisies: This car is qiuet, quick, comfortable and cost effective. When I first saw the $40,000 base price, I wasn't sure that I could afford it. However, when I factor in the money I save each month on gas, this is actually the most affordable car I've ever owned. The federal and state incentives are also a big help. Just like everybody else says, it feels powerful and solidly built. The on-board technology is delightful. I bought the base model, because the "standard" features on this car would be premium options on any other car. Technologically, the Volt stands alone.

What a fantastic car
By joesp on 06/11/12 08:32 AM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I was in need of a new car after my 2003 Mazda6 S with over 200 K miles decided to call it quits. My driving style and commute requires a car with some power and great handling too. Also, I was also looking for something good on gas. I got a little frustrated with the options available out there after three weeks o continued research. The field was limited to compromises between smaller high performance cars or boring sedans but nothing really fulfill my taste and needs until I went to check out the Volt. I drove the car and was sold. Still went home and researched this car. After a month and 1400 miles and just $17 worth of gas, I am more convinced that I made the right choice. NO regrets!

Amped Up
By volt47 on 05/28/12 21:00 PM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Bought a 2012 Volt after ordering a Prius plug in. When I heard my Prius was almost here I took a test drive in a Prius and a Volt; no comparison! The Volt was more solid, better quality, more comfortable, higher tech, etc. I've had it 3 months and love everything about it. I've driven it 45 miles on a single charge and if I don't go on a trip I never put gas in it. When it runs on gas I get 40 mpg. It's a good looking car inside and out and the technology is amazing. It's training me to be a conscientious driver and doing it in style.

Review from a car enthusiast
By quattro on 05/08/12 21:25 PM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I like cars that handle well, beautifully design and well put together.Been driving my volt for 3wks and I'm glad to say the volt is all that.Never had GM b4 bc of the quality of cars I have seen.Volt is nothing like that.A technological marvel and very polished from its display, drivetrain, design, handling to how its put together.Doesn't feel like a first gen product at all.GM should be real proud. I have a gen 2 Prius, BMW x5 diesel. prius is light as paper,noisy,drives like a cheap economy car. Diesel rattles and it's noisy.Volt rides like a luxury car and feels safe,substantial and quiet U get the most if your commute is ~ the ev range Got 41 miles on e Try it out u will be converted

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback in VA is:

$122 per month*