Used 2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Volt - Consumer Reviews

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback

Base Hybrid 1-speed Direct Drive - (72 reviews )

Volt is a No-Brainer over Prius
By ntvolt

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

It's like a game driving this car, to see how far I can go. I average 45-53 miles on a single charge. 3 year lease is Cheaper than a regular Prius BEFORE the $1,500 CA rebate. Volt = $329 MO vs. Prius at $299 MO. Volt is $1,080 more over 36 mos. But you get a $1,500 rebate on the volt, bringing the 3 year cost from the time you walk in the dealer till the time you turn it in to $420 less than a Prius. 36,000 miles each, Prius will use 720 gallons of gas no matter what at $4 per gal. = $2,880. If you drive less than 40 miles a day, Volt will cost you $0 in gas and about $1.50 per full charge for 40 miles. $1,350 for 36,000 miles. 3 year savings = $1,950

Favorite Features

5,500 miles so far, I've used 4.2 gallons in gas. I still have yet to see a gas station with this car. Even for those that use 50% electric and 50% gas driving 70 miles a day, that still means they are only using 1 gallon of gas per day! You'd use 514 gallons over 36,000 miles at 50/50 driving. This car with the weight of the batteries down low, rides nicer than my Jaguar. It is so amazingly solid for a small car. The Prius feels like a toy car compared to the Volt. The $40,000 price tag scares people away, but as the numbers show, it's cheaper than a regular Prius and FAR cheaper than the plug-in Prius that goes 12 miles on electric only. No Comparison! And I have CARPOOL lane stickers!!!!

Suggested Improvements

Put run-flat tires on it, get rid of the spare and throw a few extra batteries in that space and bring up the range to an EPA rated 50 miles on electric only and this thing would be amazing. I get 45-53 miles on my EPA rated 35 mile Volt, so with a 50 mile EPA rating, I'd be pushing 65 miles a day. At least make it an option to buy another 3 kilowatts worth of batteries.

Free Car
By bluevolt

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I just bought a volt and am actually being paid to drive it. I put zero down financed at 0%. My payments come to $5,800 a year for six years. I get paid a $9,000 tax credit (live in California). I save $2,000 a year on gas and $500 a year on tolls ($15,000 over six years). So, even if the car loses half of it's value, at the end of six years I own a car worth $17,500 and my out-of-pocket expense came to only $11,000. In other words, I get to drive a car for six years and am essentially paid $6,500 to do so.

Favorite Features

Cost

Suggested Improvements

Charge time

Good car - Lousy people
By woodybap

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I am so [non-permissible content removed]! First the damn Volt is dead in my own driveway. Four months old and it goes feet up. No prob, I think, we have Onstar. Onstar tries about 3 times and then tells me that the car has apparently shut down due to some security glitch. The car needs to be towed to a dealership. Numerous calls between me and Roadside Assistance. They tell me that they can provide me with the number of their outfit that arranges loaner vehicles. Turns out that number is to a service that apparently does nothing more than provide the names of local rental car agencies. A glorified phone book, if you will. Heck, I could do better with Google. So the tow truck guy shows up. Has no clue

Suggested Improvements

Better customer service training of personnel

Purchased a used Volt
By tdj1

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I have been driving Hondas and Acuras all my life. With the kids grown, I decided to look for a replacement for my Honda Pilot. I narrowed my choice between a Prius and a Volt. I test drove both. The Volt was more fun to drive and felt like it was built better. I was very surprised. I rarely drive much more than 40 miles a day. I'm VERY happy with my Volt. I spent all day running errands and didn't burn a drop of gas.

Favorite Features

Gas savings, driving comfort, performance

Suggested Improvements

Price, backseat room

I love this car
By minyung

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I was a Chevy Suburban guy for the last 16 years until last May when my truck of 8 years needed some major work, I decided to buy the Volt. My gas bill every month went down very substantially in the last 6 months. My average gas bill with the suburban was about $1000 a month ans so far, I have spent about $1000 in the last 6 months. I have driven 17,593 miles since 5/28/2012 of which 8280 miles was EV miles (47% of the total miles). Every day when the Volt take me for a ride, I tried to squeeze out as much miles as I could in a single charge and the most that I was able to squeeze out was 51 miles before the gas kicked in. I just love this car.