Used 2012 Chevrolet Volt Base Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Volt - Consumer Reviews

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback

Base Hybrid 1-speed Direct Drive - (71 reviews )

Most Helpful|
Excellent car but beware if you have an accident!
By urbanlegend711

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I have been really impressed with the car overall. It has great acceleration, handles beautifully and didn't give me a single problem in 1.5 years and 22k miles. I had a minor front-end collision in September and the car still ran when I left it. Apparently because it's a hybrid the electronics need to be disconnected for welding. The car went to a dealer to have this done, the body shop then repaired it, but now...2 and a half months later, the dealer cannot get the car to run at all. Repairs appear to be very involved, expensive and risky with this car.

Favorite Features

Really cool styling, excellent handling, great acceleration, Volt display for fuel efficiency, excellent navigation, Bose sound system rocks, comfortable and stylish interior.

Suggested Improvements

GM needs to figure out how to repair this car in the event of accidents. It's a great car and a wonderful move toward making electric vehicles livable, but GM dropped the ball on foreseeing potential repair needs. Hopefully they can get this resolved and make the Volt a truly exceptional vehicle.

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By mcgoody

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Bought this car brand new on New Year's Eve 2012. After 2 years of ownership I am nothing but impressed. I've owned many different makes and models and this is by far the best vehicle I've ever owned. Lifetime MPG is 228, with over 39K on the ODO (33K+ Elec. mi.). Service has been minimal; oil changes and tire rotations. I'm over 6 feet tall and have no issue in the driver's seat. Those behind me are snug, but it's doable. Car is designed well, solid inside and out, and is extremely reliable. Being in the mtns I was concerned for weather. No problem. The centered weight of the car makes it phenomenal in snow and great on ice. I really don't work for GM, I promise. :)

Favorite Features

Savings on gas (i.e. - filling up every 2-3 months vs. every week), instant torque/power from pedal to wheels, unlike other EV's... I can drive this car across the country like a regular vehicle and never concern myself with range, the tech in the car is unlike anything else, it draws a lot of conversation from strangers

Suggested Improvements

More leg room in the back seats, needs to be a 5 seater, new price vs. depreciation is terrible, power front seats, better marketing from GM (you guys missed the mark promoting Volt), shorten/redesign the front air dam (scrapes on everything)

100 mpg +++++
By borchone1

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Over 5900 miles and used 21 gallons of gas and $135 elect. ZERO problems. Handles great in snow. Heater is great. Grandkids stay warm in back at 0 degrees. Yesterday drove 54 miles and total cost elect and gas was $2.33 and it was 34 degrees outside. 34 miles in elect and 20 miles on gas. Summer gives me 45-50 miles on elect. Cost me at most 69 cents to charge per night. Special time of day rates with elect. co. Great car and only stopped at for gas 3 times in 7 mos. Fast, fun and great car. One of best cars i'ved owned out of 41. Great car GM and thanks to Pres. George Bush for helpping get this started.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage after battery runs down. Great battery range, even in winter if you watch the heater.

Suggested Improvements

Back windshield wiper.

Good car - Lousy people
By woodybap

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I am so [non-permissible content removed]! First the damn Volt is dead in my own driveway. Four months old and it goes feet up. No prob, I think, we have Onstar. Onstar tries about 3 times and then tells me that the car has apparently shut down due to some security glitch. The car needs to be towed to a dealership. Numerous calls between me and Roadside Assistance. They tell me that they can provide me with the number of their outfit that arranges loaner vehicles. Turns out that number is to a service that apparently does nothing more than provide the names of local rental car agencies. A glorified phone book, if you will. Heck, I could do better with Google. So the tow truck guy shows up. Has no clue

Suggested Improvements

Better customer service training of personnel

The best Car we have ever owned
By lock11

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

We just retired. The key to a successful retirement was to control our expenses. I decided to invest in some Green solutions. First we installed a Solar Array on our roof. Then I researched electric Cars. The only one that answered the question "What happens when I run out of Juice?" was the Volt. I paid 20, thousand for a 2012 with 20 thousand miles. It was loaded. I got a Tax credit of $7500. so net out the door was $12,500 not a bad price. WE charge it and it goes, no problems and it is the most dependable car ever. So far it has cost me an additional $O to operate.

Favorite Features

There are a few. Quiet, smooth, comfortable and has no maintenance to speak of. I know a man that has 212,000 on his Volt and they checked his original Brakes, No wear. No transmission , no real fears. The "Re-Generator" slows the car down, not the brakes.

Suggested Improvements

I honestly can not think of any