2011 Chevrolet Volt Consumer Review: Car Snob Humbled by Volt

2011 Chevrolet Volt - Consumer Review

Base 4dr Hatchback (Hybrid 1-speed Direct Drive)

Car Snob Humbled by Volt
By gtoernie1 on

2011 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I'm a car nut-- have owned everything from Bentley's to Hondas to Lincolns to Porsches. My partner wanted the Volt, and I was skeptical. I was wrong. After 1500 miles, it is the car we choose for family outings (our other cars are '11 Audi A8 and and a '10 Audi Q7 TDI, both of which we love). Why? The Volt is silent. It is quick. It has fun technology that works! It has a refined manner-- much more refined than our Lexus 400h hybrid was. Most of all-- it is versatile. Knowing there is a gas generator to keep you going after the battery is exhausted on long trips, takes the stress out of trip planning. Full recharge takes only 4 hours, but is unnecessary if it's inconvenient.

Refinement, quiet, innovation. It's the car everyone in the house wants to take because it drives so beautifully. The fact that a 40 mile trip takes no fuel also feels pretty darn good.

Lumbar support in seat could be better. I think the touchscreen center console controls are kind of touchy-- I fat-finger them easily. Also, drives me crazy that the GM lawyers won't let me enter navigation information while the car is moving. C'mon guys-- I can still pull out my iPhone and pull up google maps, which is no safer while driving than entering nav in the car.