Meets All Expectations...and more
By tjc79 on
2011 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)
Now in my second month and still have not used more than 2 gallons of gas. The car is surprisingly responsive, feels solid and has had no bugs, defects or annoyances that sometimes accompany new purchases. My average battery range is about 42 miles, but with the range extending on-board generator, there is no anxiety whatsoever about "getting there" as the range is essentially the same as a traditional gas powered vehicle. Moving from my prior Mercedes S 430, I find the Volt to be a remarkably well engineered product. Clearly someone is paying attention to the quality at the end of the production line.
Favorite Features
Quiet, quiet, quiet.....hands free telephone calls are actually accomplished without raising your voice and you can listen to music at humane levels......and road fatigue is minimized. The acceleration is quite good. The car feels solid and balanced....perhaps because of the positioning of the battery pack right down the center.
Suggested Improvements
I think many Volt owners would like to see a separate on/off switch for the radio. For some reason, it's linked to the center stack video screen and turning on the climate control also turns on the radio. Use of the mute button is required.