Used 2011 Chevrolet Volt Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Chevrolet Volt - Consumer Reviews

Base Hybrid 1-speed Direct Drive - (22 reviews )

Hats off to GM
By flyguy15

2011 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I have only had my volt #2499 for a week and am I impressed. The car, the concept, everything about it is game changing. My other car is a CTS-V and it has been parked ever since I got the Volt. The only problem is that my wife wants to trade her SUV and get one too. Saving gas $$ is not my objective - using the cutting edge technology and proving it in everyday use is the fun part. What a tribute to the team that put this vehicle together and brought it to market. Let's hope to "Halo effect" spills over and helps all of GM.

The displays, just like an iPad

Power seats

My Black Volt - #1712
By mrrizzo

2011 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

The Volt is my first American car, ever. I currently also have a VW and SAAB. The ride and handling to me are very much like a European vehicle. The Volt is smooth and firm, with some heft to it, but is also comfortable with a compliant ride. It absorbs bumps very well and exceeded my expectations when I test drove it. The acceleration in "normal" mode is adequate. In "sport" mode, it is a blast to drive. The car is also eerily quiet in EV mode. The fit and finish are impressive. This is an extremely well thought out vehicle. The change over to extended mode is absolutely seemless. Other than the display on the dash, there was no way to tell that the gas engine engaged.

The car is packed with technology. Although it lacks a power seat, I find the driving position very comfortable. The car is very smooth and feels like a luxury car, not like an economy car (as it should for the price LOL). It fits my driving style and habits like a glove so I expect to be using very little gas. My workplace now has charging stations, so I can charge the car during the day for free! I perk I guess for being an early adopter. My vehicle is black with the polished wheels and is a real head turner. In pictures, I didn't think I would like the white center stack, but in person it's very sharp and I prefer it to the dark grey that is also offered.

I know it's intentionally designed this way for aerodynamics, but the front spolier is extremely low to the ground. It scraps entering and leaving my driveway no matter how I try. Since the car feels so well thought out I'm sure the engineers knew this and made it out of a very flexible material, but non the less it kinda strange. Other than that, no issues so far, still in the honeymoon stage.

A Home Run!
By sgc114

2011 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I purchased my Volt and took delivery on December 18, 2010. I've gone about 1500 miles so far and burned about 20 gallons of gas, mostly due to a few long trips [200 miles each]. Even on those trips, my mileage was in the 40-50 mile range. My overall mileage is about 75mpg. But when I was not taking those trips, I could easily drive around town, to work, etc, on the 40 miles or so range, using all battery and electric drive. There is nothing better than that! The car drives solidly, crisp turning, and more than decent acceleration. The best acceleration is in LOW using SPORT mode. Seats are comfortable, and the fit and finish is quite good.

Allow the radio and other infotainment controls to be operated independently from each other

Meets All Expectations...and more
By tjc79

2011 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Now in my second month and still have not used more than 2 gallons of gas. The car is surprisingly responsive, feels solid and has had no bugs, defects or annoyances that sometimes accompany new purchases. My average battery range is about 42 miles, but with the range extending on-board generator, there is no anxiety whatsoever about "getting there" as the range is essentially the same as a traditional gas powered vehicle. Moving from my prior Mercedes S 430, I find the Volt to be a remarkably well engineered product. Clearly someone is paying attention to the quality at the end of the production line.

Quiet, quiet, quiet.....hands free telephone calls are actually accomplished without raising your voice and you can listen to music at humane levels......and road fatigue is minimized. The acceleration is quite good. The car feels solid and balanced....perhaps because of the positioning of the battery pack right down the center.

I think many Volt owners would like to see a separate on/off switch for the radio. For some reason, it's linked to the center stack video screen and turning on the climate control also turns on the radio. Use of the mute button is required.

Better than my 540i
By slapshot28

2011 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I know the title is saying a lot, but I mean it sincerely. The Volt (VIN 541) is absolutely the best car I've ever driven. It's quick, nimble, stylish, and simply incomparable from a technology standpoint. Electric driving is amazing. From a dead stop, it's the best. And zipping around traffic on the highway is just as good. The Volt's range extender is what makes this a practical primary vehicle--no range anxiety. Most days the car never burns a drop of gasoline (my commute is around 20 miles). But this past weekend, driving two hours and back (about 250 miles) was a piece of cake. I never even stopped for gas! Everyone who has been in my Volt has loved it--especially me!

Tight handling. Quickness off the line. Extended range, and ZERO gas consumed for everyday use. Modern, sleek styling. Amazing electronics/automation/remote access.

Hmm... Well, if a sport version could be even quicker, I'd buy it. (But the Volt I have now is plenty fast!)