2011 Chevrolet Volt - Consumer Reviews

Base Hybrid 1-speed Direct Drive - (22 reviews )
Volt #0065
By microchip on 02/08/11 14:41 PM (PST)

2011 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I picked up the first Volt delivered in North Jersey on December 17th, and went 1020 miles over 47 days before I visited the pump. I could've gone longer, but I was getting low on my first tank and there was an ice storm coming, so I filled up for safety, and haven't used gas since filling up. Pretty amazing if you ask me.

Shazam!
By wheresmyvolt on 02/08/11 13:58 PM (PST)

2011 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

This is one great car! Fit, finish, ride, snow handling, zip, fun, and economical. I have a 72-mile round trip commute and am getting near 40 miles of that on battery and the rest on the gasoline generator. I am averaging just over 110 mpg in the generator mode. It is a car that was made with pride and meant to satisfy. I have the leather seats with seat warmers and the backup camera. Both are great additions. GM is very solicitous of my opinion and suggestions and the dealer gives red carpet treatment.

A SPORTY AND STYLISH GAME CHANGER
By marclee on 02/08/11 10:42 AM (PST)

2011 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

When I first read that GM was coming out with an EV and that it would only get 40 miles per charge and then use a gas engine generator after that I was very disappointed. I thought why bother? After all I had built a BEV in 2001 that had a 70 mile range. But as I continued to read about the Volt and think about what GM was trying to do with it, I realized this was an absolute brilliant interim solution to the current EV catch-22. Batteries are too expensive and performance too limited to make a pure EV viable, a pure EV won’t be viable until batteries are cheaper and performance is better. GM’s solution was to put just enough batteries to cover the daily commute of 80% of the people.

I Hate my Volt
By ev_ on 02/08/11 10:29 AM (PST)

2011 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Well actually I Love my VOLT except for the climate control system. It takes 5 mintues for the heater to start putting out warm air and you have to run the fan durning that time or you will never get heat. As if that is not bad enough it runs the A/C during this time to dehumitify the air. When its 40 degrees in the car I don't want it to blow cold air and I certainly don't want the A/C on. The rest of the car is everthing I had hoped for. I have driven it over 1200 miles and my average is over 160mpg. I am still running off the gas that came with the car. I like to go fast, I don't drive like a Prius driver, I like to drive in Sport mode and it is extremelly fun to drive.

Levitation-like smoothness
By revtwist on 02/08/11 10:24 AM (PST)

2011 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I have owned my red Chevrolet Volt for 20 days now. This car is mainly used for my work commute. Although I have taken two 70 mile drives to show the car to family. The odometer reads 990 miles total with just 2.1 gallons of gasoline burned. The Volt is driven by an electric motor all of the time. A small generator is available if travel over 35-40 miles battery is needed. It has been said that driving the Volt feels like flying. It really does. The low end acceleration is ample. The styling of the Volt rivals that of others cars I have owned. One of these being a 70's era Cobra II. My 19 year old son is thrilled to ride in our electric Volt. Full battery charge is 3.5 hours at 240V.

I love my Volt more then my Ferrari...
By ponsv6 on 02/08/11 08:50 AM (PST)

2011 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

As an enthusiastic car lover/collector/enthusiast, the Volt is about the coolest car I have ever owned, I have VIN 772. This thing has exceeded all my expectations in Quality, Styling, Ride, Acceleration, Efficiency. Chose to lease it for $350 a month and will most likely buy it at the end of the lease. My Lifetime MPG is 137 with a little over a 1k miles driven so far, which includes two 150 mile trips. Free Onstar for 5 years with nav downloads and hands-free blue tooth, this car is better then my old E class Mercedes, rides about the same. Wife and I literally fight over who drives it. It really moves out from a stop light in "Sport Mode" due to the E motors 100% Torque at 0-RPM.

Fun and Practical
By evil_attorney on 02/08/11 08:47 AM (PST)

2011 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

The Volt is a great mix of performance, technology and practicality. The electric motor provides substantial torque which makes the car feel more powerful and responsive than most cars on the road. On a single charge I am able to drive about 38 miles (mostly freeway driving). That's enough to get me to and from work with a little juice left over. However, the gas engine is a great backup if I need to take a longer trip. I have driven almost 500 miles and only used 1.3 gallons of gas so far. Charging is so easy. The Volt comes with a charger you can plug into any standard electrical outlet.

Best car I've ever leased.
By gcool on 02/08/11 08:18 AM (PST)

2011 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I get in and out of leases all the time. I've had the S4, X5, 550i, 335 coupe, and a few others. Nothing compares to this car. The others handled better and were quicker (except the X5) but overall the Volt hangs just fine. If you put it in power mode - it will really move. And the fact that I've yet to burn any gas... wow. It's an amazing feeling. Oh... and I didn't see any increase in my electrical bill compared to last year. So far it's been the same....

The future of the Automobile
By jreason on 02/08/11 05:18 AM (PST)

2011 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I have had my Volt for one month and am impressed with this vehicle. It is more refined than I expected. The ride and handling is very good especially for a 3700 lb vehicle. The seats are very comfortable. I like this car so much that I have ordered a second one.

This car is a winner, in every way possible.
By jerry150 on 02/07/11 20:39 PM (PST)

2011 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

This car could have been just another ho-hum electric/hybrid, but it isn't that. Instead, it continues to amaze and delight me in how well designed and constructed it is. It has excellent handling, power, and comfort. The sound system, nav system, and integration of bluetooth, USB, and Onstar are probably the best in the industry. The "feel" of the car is of a nimble, high end European sedan, and I would choose this as my daily driver, even if it didn't deliver better economy than any other car, which, by the way, it does, with the possible exception of the Nissan Leaf.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Chevrolet Volt in VA is:

$121 per month*