Used 2011 Chevrolet Volt Base Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

Base Hybrid 1-speed Direct Drive - (22 reviews )

Battery Memory
By drydoc

2011 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

In love, at first, several trips to the dealer during the first six weeks for "unexplained" engine error messages", almost made me invoke the "Lemon Law". Life settled down after a computer upgrade...until early in the 5th month that I owned the car. At that point, a full charge became less and less miles. I began at 38 - 40 miles ev per charge and now I am at best, 23 -24 miles ev. The Chevy Volt team and my local dealer state that it is the weather and the way that I drive it. First of all...the way I drive it should not change the battery capacity. Secondly, it is not even cold yet...average temp approx. 42 degrees. Thirdly, I charge it in a heated garage.

The car handles very well.

Entirley replace the battery. Recent notifications from the NHTSA that the battery causes fires after accicents and the bnattery memory issue (which I enquired about prior to the sale and was told did not exist) make this an impotent electric car.

Car Snob Humbled by Volt
By gtoernie1

2011 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I'm a car nut-- have owned everything from Bentley's to Hondas to Lincolns to Porsches. My partner wanted the Volt, and I was skeptical. I was wrong. After 1500 miles, it is the car we choose for family outings (our other cars are '11 Audi A8 and and a '10 Audi Q7 TDI, both of which we love). Why? The Volt is silent. It is quick. It has fun technology that works! It has a refined manner-- much more refined than our Lexus 400h hybrid was. Most of all-- it is versatile. Knowing there is a gas generator to keep you going after the battery is exhausted on long trips, takes the stress out of trip planning. Full recharge takes only 4 hours, but is unnecessary if it's inconvenient.

Refinement, quiet, innovation. It's the car everyone in the house wants to take because it drives so beautifully. The fact that a 40 mile trip takes no fuel also feels pretty darn good.

Lumbar support in seat could be better. I think the touchscreen center console controls are kind of touchy-- I fat-finger them easily. Also, drives me crazy that the GM lawyers won't let me enter navigation information while the car is moving. C'mon guys-- I can still pull out my iPhone and pull up google maps, which is no safer while driving than entering nav in the car.

My Volt after 3 months and 3100 miles
By decibel1

2011 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I have owned my Volt since mid-March, and have used exactly 20 gallons of gas over 3100 miles. Most of my daily driving is done in all electric mode, but I did take one 80 mile trip and one 750 mile trip. On the long trip I did not recharge and averaged 41 mpg in charge-sustaining mode. I also own a Prius and feel that the Volt, though a bit smaller, is a big leap forward over that fine car. The Volt is quicker, handles better, is quieter, has much lower operating cost/mile (i pay only $0.10 per kWh), and has been totally glitch free. It's an astonishing achievement.

equivalent gas mileage near 100 mpg, very comfortable seats, great sound system, and a feature set that rivals many luxury cars.

Outstanding MPG!!!
By sonata3times

2011 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I bought the Chevy volt for one reason only. I'm a business man who drives around 300 miles almost everyday. Driving both city and highway averages 104mpg. Im glad I got this and not the Prius.

The 3 selection types of driving modes and plenty of technology layout.

I bought a $42,000 car leather seats should be standard and theres no power seats.

Volt
By bigdvolt

2011 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

My Volt is incredible. My lifetime mpg is 112 and rising. I've driven over 1000 miles without any gas. I didn't buy any gas the first month I owed it. It has a sport mode that makes it fun and sporty to drive with speed to jerk your head back. It's as powerful as a V-6. I'm loving it.

using my IPhone to turn car on and cool it before I get in.

Ability to update software to run apps, connect to internet.