2011 Chevrolet Volt - Consumer Reviews

Base Hybrid 1-speed Direct Drive - (22 reviews )
Battery Memory
By drydoc on 12/31/11 19:11 PM (PST)

2011 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

In love, at first, several trips to the dealer during the first six weeks for "unexplained" engine error messages", almost made me invoke the "Lemon Law". Life settled down after a computer upgrade...until early in the 5th month that I owned the car. At that point, a full charge became less and less miles. I began at 38 - 40 miles ev per charge and now I am at best, 23 -24 miles ev. The Chevy Volt team and my local dealer state that it is the weather and the way that I drive it. First of all...the way I drive it should not change the battery capacity. Secondly, it is not even cold yet...average temp approx. 42 degrees. Thirdly, I charge it in a heated garage.

Car Snob Humbled by Volt
By gtoernie1 on 07/16/11 12:32 PM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I'm a car nut-- have owned everything from Bentley's to Hondas to Lincolns to Porsches. My partner wanted the Volt, and I was skeptical. I was wrong. After 1500 miles, it is the car we choose for family outings (our other cars are '11 Audi A8 and and a '10 Audi Q7 TDI, both of which we love). Why? The Volt is silent. It is quick. It has fun technology that works! It has a refined manner-- much more refined than our Lexus 400h hybrid was. Most of all-- it is versatile. Knowing there is a gas generator to keep you going after the battery is exhausted on long trips, takes the stress out of trip planning. Full recharge takes only 4 hours, but is unnecessary if it's inconvenient.

My Volt after 3 months and 3100 miles
By decibel1 on 06/09/11 07:43 AM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I have owned my Volt since mid-March, and have used exactly 20 gallons of gas over 3100 miles. Most of my daily driving is done in all electric mode, but I did take one 80 mile trip and one 750 mile trip. On the long trip I did not recharge and averaged 41 mpg in charge-sustaining mode. I also own a Prius and feel that the Volt, though a bit smaller, is a big leap forward over that fine car. The Volt is quicker, handles better, is quieter, has much lower operating cost/mile (i pay only $0.10 per kWh), and has been totally glitch free. It's an astonishing achievement.

Outstanding MPG!!!
By sonata3times on 06/06/11 08:01 AM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I bought the Chevy volt for one reason only. I'm a business man who drives around 300 miles almost everyday. Driving both city and highway averages 104mpg. Im glad I got this and not the Prius.

Volt
By bigdvolt on 05/10/11 19:03 PM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

My Volt is incredible. My lifetime mpg is 112 and rising. I've driven over 1000 miles without any gas. I didn't buy any gas the first month I owed it. It has a sport mode that makes it fun and sporty to drive with speed to jerk your head back. It's as powerful as a V-6. I'm loving it.

Hats off to GM
By flyguy15 on 05/03/11 18:55 PM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I have only had my volt #2499 for a week and am I impressed. The car, the concept, everything about it is game changing. My other car is a CTS-V and it has been parked ever since I got the Volt. The only problem is that my wife wants to trade her SUV and get one too. Saving gas $$ is not my objective - using the cutting edge technology and proving it in everyday use is the fun part. What a tribute to the team that put this vehicle together and brought it to market. Let's hope to "Halo effect" spills over and helps all of GM.

My Black Volt - #1712
By mrrizzo on 03/13/11 05:48 AM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

The Volt is my first American car, ever. I currently also have a VW and SAAB. The ride and handling to me are very much like a European vehicle. The Volt is smooth and firm, with some heft to it, but is also comfortable with a compliant ride. It absorbs bumps very well and exceeded my expectations when I test drove it. The acceleration in "normal" mode is adequate. In "sport" mode, it is a blast to drive. The car is also eerily quiet in EV mode. The fit and finish are impressive. This is an extremely well thought out vehicle. The change over to extended mode is absolutely seemless. Other than the display on the dash, there was no way to tell that the gas engine engaged.

A Home Run!
By sgc114 on 02/09/11 16:08 PM (PST)

2011 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I purchased my Volt and took delivery on December 18, 2010. I've gone about 1500 miles so far and burned about 20 gallons of gas, mostly due to a few long trips [200 miles each]. Even on those trips, my mileage was in the 40-50 mile range. My overall mileage is about 75mpg. But when I was not taking those trips, I could easily drive around town, to work, etc, on the 40 miles or so range, using all battery and electric drive. There is nothing better than that! The car drives solidly, crisp turning, and more than decent acceleration. The best acceleration is in LOW using SPORT mode. Seats are comfortable, and the fit and finish is quite good.

Meets All Expectations...and more
By tjc79 on 02/09/11 10:19 AM (PST)

2011 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Now in my second month and still have not used more than 2 gallons of gas. The car is surprisingly responsive, feels solid and has had no bugs, defects or annoyances that sometimes accompany new purchases. My average battery range is about 42 miles, but with the range extending on-board generator, there is no anxiety whatsoever about "getting there" as the range is essentially the same as a traditional gas powered vehicle. Moving from my prior Mercedes S 430, I find the Volt to be a remarkably well engineered product. Clearly someone is paying attention to the quality at the end of the production line.

Better than my 540i
By slapshot28 on 02/08/11 17:19 PM (PST)

2011 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I know the title is saying a lot, but I mean it sincerely. The Volt (VIN 541) is absolutely the best car I've ever driven. It's quick, nimble, stylish, and simply incomparable from a technology standpoint. Electric driving is amazing. From a dead stop, it's the best. And zipping around traffic on the highway is just as good. The Volt's range extender is what makes this a practical primary vehicle--no range anxiety. Most days the car never burns a drop of gasoline (my commute is around 20 miles). But this past weekend, driving two hours and back (about 250 miles) was a piece of cake. I never even stopped for gas! Everyone who has been in my Volt has loved it--especially me!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Chevrolet Volt in VA is:

$121 per month*