Used 2004 Chevrolet Venture Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Venture - Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Venture Minivan

View reviews for a specific Venture model:

Good "mom" car
By mrpetrankov

2004 Chevrolet Venture Minivan LS Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Im 16 and i got my mothers 2004 venture about 5 months ago, when she had it she liked it very much. Overall its been a good car for me but it has bad car computer problems. We had to replace the whole computer system about 3 years ago. ($750) which wasnt worth it because about a year ago the gas gauge just stopped working which would be $500 to fix which is not worth it to us because we dont want the car anymore. But then again it has been a good car not including the computer problems.

Favorite Features

Drives great, almost like a car Fairly comfortable Tons of space Seats 8 You can take out all the seats Overall good mechanics ( only problem with mechanics was the E-brake not working ) Good V-6 engine

Suggested Improvements

Needs more durablility Better computer system More comfortable back seats Plastic knobs break easily

NOT IMPRESSED
By mike742

2004 Chevrolet Venture Minivan LS Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I had a Dodge Caravan that I drove for 4 1/2 years and loved it. I finally put it to rest with260,00 miles on it. Wish i bought another 1, but no, I bought a 2004 Chevy Venture. At first I thought it was a good purchase, but I found out I was wrong when I started having serious electrical problems, windows stopped working, abs light and engine light came on fuel guage fell to E and this annoying chime started sounding off continuously while driving, poer locks no longer work and then it left me stranded on the side of the road.All these problems are caused by a water leak somewhere and rotting all the wiring under the carpet. This is the worst vehicle I have ever owned. No longer a chevy fan

Favorite Features

I have 6 kids so the 8 passenger seating is nice. But all the luxury features no longer work including the A/C.

Suggested Improvements

No need to suggest it because they already stopped making this van.

Love my 04 Venture Van
By sakb3947

2004 Chevrolet Venture Minivan LS Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have over 180,000 on my van with little troubles. I like the way it drives. I can haul things in it, pull trailers with it and I can haul all my grandchildren in it. Have had very little troubles with it. When it was new a rear wheel bearing went out but was covered under warrenty. I had to repair some window controls but that was easy.

Favorite Features

I like the passenger side power door. The cargo compartment is easy to arrange to what ever I can fit in it.

Suggested Improvements

Would like a stronger A/C It comes up a bit short in very hot weather. The heating could be abit better in very cold weather

Was ok at first
By Thomas

2004 Chevrolet Venture Minivan LS Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Vehicle purchased in California, where it did not rain very much at all. Moved to Virginia, when the rain came, the rain leaked through. So much got through the carpet had to be pulled out due to mildew. Mechanically (engine and Transmission) the van is still strong. However, the other (ABS system, sensors, brakes, wheel hubs) have all been an issue. Hub bearings and ABS sensors replaced, ABS light still comes on. Engine sensors can be a bit hectic to decipher and replace. When the van works it works well. However, that has not seemed to be the norm. The leak mentioned, has not been able to be figured out or fixed, the windshield has been resealed with polyurethane to no avail.

Favorite Features

Mileage (with a good technique you can get over 700 miles to a tank). Seating capacity, and utility. With all the seats removed you have the utility of a covered pickup. Strong engine, tight transmission. Took me across the country in just over 2 days.

Suggested Improvements

Redesign the brakes and ABS (so the ABS will not engage prematurely or prevent the brakes from being applied), reconfigure electrical system to remove quirks. Maybe mine was special, but ensure the danged thing doesn't leak like a sieve. Vehicle was replaced due to ever increasing maintenance costs

Good but wet
By UG

2004 Chevrolet Venture Minivan LS Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Overall, the vehicle is mechanically sound. I have a little over 111,000 miles on it so far. 18-20 mpg? you may want to check how you drive. I can easily get 22 city and 26 highway. Just don't take off like a rocket and use cruise control. Through the mountains driving across the country we got about 24, fully loaded with household goods and such. Typical maintenance, oil, brakes, transmission fluid change. Never had anything major go wrong, thank you God. Good van. It has been spun out on a California interstate at 70 mph, 720 degrees worth of rotation, driven through the Rockies in summertime, through Arizona in the same. Strong vehicle. Maintain it, and it will take care of you.

Favorite Features

seating and cargo capacity (extended wheelbase). V6 is surprisingly powerful. It'll turn a one tire fire, but in any case, it will move when you want it to.

Suggested Improvements

Biggest complaint is that when it rains, the rain comes in. Somehow somewhere, the rain seeps through if it is sitting still, moving you're dry. I can't get an answer where the water is coming in at, and I can't figure it out. There is a good possibility the vehicle was in a wreck before I got it