Used 2003 Chevrolet Venture Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Venture - Consumer Reviews

2003 Chevrolet Venture Minivan

View reviews for a specific Venture model:

Reliable Van, Some Mechanical Probelms
By akk050708

2003 Chevrolet Venture Minivan LS Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my van in 2010 with 100,000 miles on it already. Here it is Feb.2014 and I have put almost 71,000 miles on it. When I bought it, it had a transmission slipping problem. I drive it daily with this problem & as long as you don't gun it at a dead stop, & give it time to shift from reverse to drive it doesn't slip. But does have tranny issues. I have also had my ABS go out at about 140,000 miles. I still can drive it daily & has never failed me even with those issues. I have had some break repairs done, but other than that it's been regular routine maintenance. I would buy this van again if they had newer models. It's been extremely reliable, never stranded me & my family.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission. I have seen tranny problems have been a on going issue with this van. I am lucky that my vans transmission problems have never gotten any worse or effected it's driving as long as you are easy upon take off & don't punch it right out of shifting dears. It does struggle in snow, & ice tranny slips trying to climb through tough spots. Has been extremely reliable otherwise. I have been able to start it up & go with no hassles for almost 71,000 miles now. The van has been good to us. I am looking to replace it however now that I have the money. I worry about it's life span with tranny issues & no ABS.I would recommend this van if it checked out. It gets great gas mileage!!

MONEY PIT
By moneypit10

2003 Chevrolet Venture Minivan Value Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Since I bought this van at 22,000 miles it's needed a $1200 engine seal, new windshield wiper motor, new headlights because they leak water into them. Now it's at 50,000 miles and it needs a tune up. I wonder what else will go wrong with it. It just keeps costing me money. This has not been a good vehicle to own. The only good thing about this van is that it's 11 years old with only 50,000 miles on it and the interior and exterior look like new. Too bad what's under the hood can't be more reliable. I give this 10 thumbs down and 20 raspberries. I will never buy another chevy.

Favorite Features

no favorite features.

Suggested Improvements

make things more reliable, stop making lemons. or you could fix this for me Chevrolet

Tail lights and headlights
By sherrington

2003 Chevrolet Venture Minivan LS AWD 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I see numerous complaints about tail lights and headlights for the Venture here. I've had and cured both issues. The brake lights burn out becuase of water collecting in the tail light assembly. The seals are unable to keep it out at highways speeds. Drill a 1/4 inch hole in the bottom of the tail light assembly to drain water out. Be sure and drill through the bottom bulb chamber as well. Headlights come filled with nitrogen. Don't as why. If the nitrogen leaks out they will fog up. You can change the bulbs without draining the nitrogen, but a new head light assmebly is available online for about the cost of a new bulb. That said, my Venture is reliable, comfortable and roomy.

Favorite Features

Most AWD vehicles cost you about 3 mpg over the 2WD models. Venture does not. I get 24 mpg highway fully loaded (gear, not people). The extended model is cargo/seating area is cavernous. Visibility is great, helped by heated outside mirrors and enourmous windshield wipers that sweep from the center to the edge on both sides. Intermittent wiper controls are well tuned to different rates of rain and mist. Handling is very good for a minivan. The transmission shift points are also very good. Seats are very comfortable even on long trips. There is room for the dog on the dashboard. The AC is industrial grade, and heating is fair to good.

Suggested Improvements

Exterior lighting needs some attention in order to work properly as noted above. The rear seating could be both lighter and less complex to remove/replace. The built in load leveler/ tire inflator could be handy but is pretty whimpy in terms of volume of air (it takes a long time to air up a tire). Be careful with the glove box door. It's a little flimsy.

Chevy Venture 2003
By angelam1

2003 Chevrolet Venture Minivan Cargo Van Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I own the car and it now has 204,000 miles on it. I am so attached I am finding it hard to buy another. I love the van, lifetime repairs have cost about 500.00, which isn't bad. 2 cons to the car, heater isn't the best, doesn't get as hot as other brands I have road in and doesn't blow strong. Electrical system has always had a querk. If I change one light thats out (tail or blinker) another one will go out after. I have spoke to other owners with the same problem. But with all that, it still has been very reliable, great in the snow, reliable, love it!

Favorite Features

So much space, can haul alot of furniture with the seats out. Adjustable seat height.

Suggested Improvements

Electrical system, heater fan strength.

not bad
By thisguy3

2003 Chevrolet Venture Minivan LS Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Recived this car with 95000 miles from family member, and have a mostly possitive experience. The V6 has plenty of low end torque, so much that we used to use it as a pickup for lumber and things, steering has very good feel for a minivan, although is a bit heavy at low speeds, and is fairly comfortable.

Favorite Features

Low end torque Steering Seats

Suggested Improvements

Power steering shuts off after driving through deep puddles ABS not working well if at all Traction control either very lax or malfunctioning, easily spin wheels by accident in dry, next to useless foward grip in wet Transmition slow to kick down and change gear, struggles to hold 2nd and 3rd, wants 4th Horrible city mpg Poor rear brakes