2002 Chevrolet Venture - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Venture model:
Don't buy Chevy's
By B.D. Dalton on 10/12/05 13:19 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Venture LS AWD 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We bought a new Venture van in July 2002. Immediately following the expiration of our 3 year warranty the air conditioning went and all of the brake components failed without warning and needed to be replaced. It looks shiny when its new, but if you want a vehicle that will last look elsewhere. This long time GM customer will never buy a GM vehicle again.

Save the trouble...don't buy Chevy
By schfr99 on 08/06/05 21:38 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Venture LT AWD 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this 2002 AWD LT model used about two years ago. What a joke! My wife wanted the safety features it had, AWD, ABS,OnStar, and side airbags. But after 2 years and 30,000 miles, I find it to be very cheaply made. Problems with ABS sensors, AC, and transmission were just the beginning. This van has become the creakiest, noisiest vehicle we ever owned. The windshield whistles in high wind, the power doors creak , and you just hope they don't fly open. Was told by dealer to WD40 the door seals...still noisy! My only thankful thought is I only paid $18,000 for the thing being 1 1/2 years old rather than the $33,500 original pricetag. My wife is now driving my AWD Explorer! No more GM products!

OK, but no big trophy
By Dale Dzielski on 08/02/05 15:20 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Venture LT AWD 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

When we drove it off the lot we had problems. The tire was bad to begin with, the OnStar antenna was missing, the lug covers were missing. We had messages coming up on the dash several times for brake sensor problems. The air conditioner went bad in only over 20K miles. Cargo area is nicely converted from 6 passenger to open hull. Didn't like the turn off switch for backing warning. My daughter turned off the warning because it was beeping and my wife backed into a wall. I believe there was a recall for the automatic doors. We seemed to constantly have something wrong with it. Rides nice on interestate. Washy handling around curves (live in WV). Overall OK, but not the best auto.

Nothing Great
By miller on 07/05/05 13:40 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Venture LS Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This van is not exceptional. However it does a lot of things well for a good price. 8 passenger seating, ample storage space, roof racks, aftermarket hitch and good gas mileage too. Reliability has not been great, but everything except the AC condenser at 45K was covered under warranty and the servicing dealer (not the one we bought it at) has been great.

Problems from the word go
By hatemyventure on 07/02/05 22:52 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Venture Warner Bros. Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Our van has had problems from the word go. Within two months our driver side window had problems going up and the interior roof liner began sagging. The window, we were always told was due to sand in the track. This is not the case.The liner we were told was a known problem but the engineers don't know how to fix it. Two years and two seasons of owning our van, our condenser for the air conditioning went. We were told it was due to a bad weld but chevy refused to fix it because we were past the warranty in miles. They did offer to fix a head gasket that we were not aware was problematic. In the end before our two year ownership anniversary the van needed $2300 worth of uncovered work.

Good Van
By Z on 06/06/05 14:01 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Venture LT Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this van new and think overpaid for it at 27K. My other choice was a Honda Odyssey, but dealer did not want to reduce price. Overall the van has performed well. Drove from NC to Colorado, and then to San Diego and back without problems. Has a good soft ride, OK gas mileage, and good interior features. Wish it had better cup holders in front and better storage in center console. Front seat rear pockets have come apart at the upper corners from kids pulling on them. Storage space is great. It seats 8, but second row is too low to the floor. Overall I am happy with the van. I dislike the fast depreciation when compared with its Japanese counterparts. You should get a good deal on this van when buying used

very comfortable for long rides
By Joyce on 05/20/05 10:14 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Venture LS Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car after driving an Outback to Chicago and knowing I couldn't drive it for long rides. So I bought this and 3 weeks later drove to Denver, 1700 miles. Since then I've driven it 4 times to Denver and twice to Dallas. It's extremely comfortable, reasonable gas mileage, and a huge cargo space. I'd buy another one if they still made them.

Great when it works...but rarely works
By cschroed on 04/12/05 15:31 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Venture Warner Bros. AWD 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Overall we were satisfied with the Venture. Unfortunately, we're on our third hub/bearing assembly at 60,000 miles. The rear heat controls fail intermittently and blast the back seats with straight hot air. The brake fluid low light comes on for no reason. Our intake manifold gasket leaks coolant, and the air conditioner stopped working this week. It's a great van when it works, but there's always something wrong with it. Unfortunately most of these issues are well known to Venture owners and don't seem to be addressed by Chevy. Most of these problems happened shortly after the warranty expired.

Buy warrantee
By Chevrolet Venture L on 02/26/05 09:35 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Venture LT AWD 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

With less than 45000 miles I have replaced 4 wheel bearings, the left front was replaced twice. Now my light is on telling me I probably have another bearing going out. I've had a tie-rod replaced, and most of my driving is done on paved streets. The side doors never sound like they are shut tight. In my opinion they are under powered for the weight they are pulling.

Great minivan
By Dave on 02/24/05 14:21 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Venture LS Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this minivan for 3.5 years. The only time it has been in the shop is for oil changes and tire rotations. It is very reliable and I have been pleasantly suprised with the fuel economy. I couldnt ask for a better vehicle, for thousands less than some of its competitors.