Used 2002 Chevrolet Venture Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Venture - Consumer Reviews

2002 Chevrolet Venture Minivan

View reviews for a specific Venture model:

overall Good Vehicle
By 10Lb Dad

2002 Chevrolet Venture Minivan LT Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Venture used with 33K Miles on it. Overall I am pleased with the van, it is comfortable (I' am 6ft 6" tall) and the power seat is adjustable enough that my wife and I can both find a good seating position. Cargo capacity is excellent, whether people or other. I have hauled upwards of 1500Lbs worth of concrete blocks (the payload rating is 1450 Lbs which is 25lbs less than a std full sized truck!) after I took out the seats(which are quite heavy). I have used this van to haul motorcycles, fire wood, full size sheets of plywood, appliances, etc. The back end is cavernous once all the seats are removed but the seats are a pain to remove compared to Dodge Flip'n-fold.

Favorite Features

Cargo capacity, could park an Aveo in the back and take it with you (almost). Fuel economy, I get between 22 and 30mpg. My best fuel economy so far is 30.5 mpg! Summertime average is ~28mpg and wintertime with studded snow tires is ~23mpg. Front wheel drive and traction control are excellent in snow

Suggested Improvements

Intake manifold gasket went at 80K Miles(550$ fix). Corrosion is an issue with rocker panels and wheel wells. In Maine and we salt the roads, Not pleased to get a quote of 1500$ to fix the rockers, I had a friend do the work for 500$ but its sad that my cavalier went 250K before having the same prob

Much better review
By FH

2002 Chevrolet Venture Minivan LS Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have had a much better ownership than some of the other people in their reviews. The van has done great until 85000 miles and only then did the ac break and the manifold gasket leak. Not a major deal. I can fix both of these with little outlay of money. If care is taken with the car and maintenance performed, it will last a long time. I plan to put 140000 on the car before selling it for another. My gas mileage in town is 22.5 and 28 to 30 on the highway. I drive the speed limit. Give it a try.

Favorite Features

Acceleration for this type vehicle, handling, low maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

Lumbar support on the front seats.

I am going to miss my van!
By LOVED IT!

2002 Chevrolet Venture Minivan Warner Bros. AWD 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Venture Van in 2004 with 65,000 miles on it. I absolutely loved my van. Had no major issues, plenty of space, the kids loved the DVD player, drove down the East Coast twice! Now with over 142,000 miles the van was totaled in a car accident. Both airbags deployed but everyone including my 13 year old who was sitting in the front passenger seat walked away without injury. I would highly reccommend this vehicle. My only complaint, may be some of the cheaper plastic pieces on the interior, but the safety and reliability win over a few cosmetic pieces on the seat.

Favorite Features

8th passenger seat ( lot of carpooling! ) DVD system, parking sensors, and reliability

What a waste of 21,000 bucks
By gm sucks

2002 Chevrolet Venture Minivan LT Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Simply put this van is garbage. Very very cheap. Sliding door repaired 4 times. Fuel gauge repaired a/c repaired and gasket repaired all before 52 000 miles. Very uncomfortable. Resale value is horrible. Chrysler vans much better. Ride is noisy very noisy. And what pick up. 180 horses on this van are like 105 horses on Toyota Echo. You are better off paying 7 or 8k more to buy oddyssy and drive a real van that won't fall apart or buy Chrysler.

Unfortunate Mistake
By Rick

2002 Chevrolet Venture Minivan Value Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Reluctantly I have been driving mini van's since 1989. I purchased this used in '04. I jumped ship from Chrysler products and now wish I had never jumped. The price was right (dealer was going out of business and dumping inventory cheap) but I have been disappointed since driving it away. I feel like I am in an aluminum can. Road noise is the worst in this vehicle. I can't have a conversation with someone in the rear seat without yelling. I replaced the AC condenser at 42,000 due to a faulty mount. I have 55,000 on it presently and feel like I should get rid of it before it becomes afflicted with the issues I read about (i.e. manifold gasket and head gasket).

Favorite Features

This thing has somehow managed to get me to and from everywhere I need to go without falling apart.

Suggested Improvements

More or better insulation between the interior and the noisy outdoor world.