2001 Chevrolet Venture Consumer Review: Next time, not GM

2001 Chevrolet Venture - Consumer Review

LS Passenger Minivan (3.4L V6 4-speed Automatic)

Next time, not GM
By Mark Oveson on

2001 Chevrolet Venture LS 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is an OK car, but it really is not great. On the plus side, it has never broken down in the middle of Wyoming. But reliability is a real problem. In 65K miles we have replaced the air conditioning condenser ($1300) and a couple of brake rotors. The brakes seem to warp very easily. The car goes out of alignment easily. We have spent $2000+ in unscheduled out-of-warranty maintenance, which is too high for only 30,000 miles over warranty. Trim has a typically cheap GM feel. Styling is ho-hum and unchanged (again) for 2005. I figured I would sell it before it lost all its value. Whoops! Too late! I will buy a Toyota or Honda next time.

Hard to say. Nothing is outstanding. The switch that overrides all the passenger compartment lights is really nice. My kids hate it, but I love it.

Make the controls go "thunk" instead of "click." Cheap pouches on the back of the driver's and passenger's seats need to be stronger. Handling is car-like but a little mushy. Plastic thingy that holds the hood prop lever broke immediately.