Used 2001 Chevrolet Venture Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Venture - Consumer Reviews

2001 Chevrolet Venture Minivan

View reviews for a specific Venture model:

Great job for Chevy
By stanley

2001 Chevrolet Venture Minivan Warner Bros. 4dr Ext Minivan w/ABE Seats (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This van is great. It's my first van and I drive it all the time. We drove it to on a 500 mile trip and the seats were very comfortable even for the three kids. We have we only stopped for gas one time and for a break. No back problems driving this van and my wife has back problems. It's very fun to drive on a long trip. I never liked minivans until I got this one. We love it.

Favorite Features

Room. Fuel economy 32 mpg highway

Suggested Improvements

None

2001 Chevy Venture Plus
By Armstead

2001 Chevrolet Venture Minivan Plus 4dr Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

The look of the van is the best part. Performance is excellent. Changed the fuel pump and very expensive radiator in the first year of ownership. A great family vehicle. The extended version would have been better for groceries.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling is key. Removable seats are handy but heavy. Sound system is good. Built in child seat was great. Roomy interior.

Suggested Improvements

Ignition improvements needed. Noisy engine. Cheaper aftermarket parts. Fuel economy in city driving is mediocre, on the highway it's outstanding.

No More GM (Gouge Me)
By Wade Petrishen

2001 Chevrolet Venture Minivan LT 4dr Ext Minivan w/ABC/ABF Package (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Have replaced by 50000 miles: steering rack, steering pump, LF hub, cyl head gaskets, intake manifold gaskets NEEDS replacing: electronic level control shocks are leaking and should be replaced. Because of the exhorbitant cost I will probably convert the system, even though I like it, to a regular system.

Favorite Features

It is good on gas. It tows well for a mini van.

Suggested Improvements

The engine is a bit antiquated. It is prone to leaks. The front end, hubs appear to be less than robust. I have a 92 Plymouth Voyager van. It has been a less expensive vehicle to own. I have had two consecutive GMs, this is the last one, They use to build decent cars. What happened, There junk!

So many positives, a few big negatives
By Daniel DeLamater

2001 Chevrolet Venture Minivan LS 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Well, we have been pleased with our car overall. But thank God we purchased the extended warranty. I would not recommend avoiding this van - I would just say get as much warranty as possible. We stopped at 75,000 miles and it wasn't enough. We are about to replace the 2nd hub assembly, we have had gaskets go out, we have had fuel regulators to replace, etc., etc. The utility of this van is excellent. It's roominess, drivability, and overall reliability are positives. Thankfully we had the warranty as long as we did - and that we have a wonderful dealership to work with. Otherwise I might not be so kind.

Favorite Features

Power sliding door, OnStar

Suggested Improvements

Reliability. If you want me to buy American cars, I can't keep having these nagging issues throughout ownership.

Keeping Me Broke
By going broke fast

2001 Chevrolet Venture Minivan LS 4dr Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the van with 140K on it - salesperson vehicle. No big deal I thought! Ha! Head gastket went in first month (covered under the extended warranty I purchased). A/C didn't work, replaced 3 wheel bearings at $680 each, struts $777, engine light on almost all the time - various things replaced, blower system didn't work - wouldn't switch from one position to another $1000, then wouldn't work in position 1,2 $300. I added it up on Christmas day night and in 2 1/2 yrs I've spent now $7300.00 in repairs! It has been such a HUGE disappointment. I've always been a GM person but no more. Oh ya, gas gauge doesn't work AGAIN - this is the third time and it is a $700 fix!

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats for long drives, love the overhead computer showing outside temp, compas, etc. Very comfortable to drive - feels like a car.

Suggested Improvements

Reliabilty is very poor - needs improvements in all areas listed above. Also it really needs rear heat/air - the blower is not powerful enough to push it back to the very back.