Used 2000 Chevrolet Venture Value Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Chevrolet Venture - Consumer Reviews

2000 Chevrolet Venture Minivan

View reviews for a specific Venture model:

Be careful!
By ArtisticInAZ

2000 Chevrolet Venture Minivan Value 4dr Minivan

Lots of repairs! Had to put in a new engine around 80K. Brakes, AC compressor, plus many other minor repairs. The last major cost were new computers (it has TWO!) Apparently it is a manufacturing error and we are now waiting for money back from GM. At first we thought it was the transmission (be sure it's not- expensive!); had that checked out and it was fine (honest mechanic!) It continued to have trouble shifting and finally decided not to start one day. It needed a new fuel rail and fuel pump. Still had trouble after that and found out it was the computer that caused all of the fuel rail trouble which caused us to need a new fuel pump. OUCH!!!

Favorite Features

Lots of room, sturdy, good safety features, decent mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Better safety features (crash tests), and mostly a better engine. I have always loved the Chevy 6 cyl. and in the last two decades I have been terribly disappointed. I don't think I will get another.

Zero confidence
By Hayhoe Family Holt

2000 Chevrolet Venture Minivan Value 4dr Minivan

I purchase the brand new vehicle in Sept. '99. By Dec. '99 it had been towed away a total of 3 times; transmission short, faulty transmission ball bearing, faulty EFI. At 44,000 miles faulty manifold gasket. Poor fit and trim with small items breaking off, and the vehicle loves to rattle. I am still afraid to drive this, but have limited options.

Favorite Features

3.8l engine is peppy. Drives like a sedan.

Suggested Improvements

Warranty service was reliable. But why is such service needed on a new vehicle? Improved qaulity control is required here.

Lemon Hall-of-Fame!!
By andslat

2000 Chevrolet Venture Minivan Value 4dr Minivan

Well all I have to say is...RUN! Do not buy this vehicle! We bought this vehicle brand-new & we bought it because of the 0%/60mos finacing offered by GMAC. Next time I would suck up the interest and buy foreign, or at least anything but GM! Intake manifold is the latest & greatest of our problems..awaiting final estimate! Many electrical problems, poor fuel mileage, rear hatch handle broke, rear windshield fluid replaced several times, cup-holders broken, etc. I am a "religious upkeep snob" on cars & take great care of my vehicles, but it doesn't matter in this case because GM's major engineering flaws. If you claim to love this vehicle...just wait, your day will come! BIG MISTAKE!

Favorite Features

Van does look nice from the exterior...but so what if it is falling apart under the hood! A nice exterior won't matter then!

Suggested Improvements

Where do I start?! I am not trying to be sarcastic, but very honest. This van is a ticking-time bomb & I want it out of my garage pronto! I have owned 4 new vehicles & this one frustrates me the most! There are so many problems! Why would GM continue to manufacture products with major failures?

You get what you paid for
By wildkard58

2000 Chevrolet Venture Minivan Value 4dr Minivan

At time of purchase, was best bang for buck. Has ABS, front and side airbags. We put about 18K kms per year. 2 road trips every year. Comfy ride highway & good gas mileage too. Under warranty, brought back 5 times to repair interior flaws, once for exterior paint. 3 GM dealers (under warranty period) said lo coolant light shows problem with sensor or head gasket problem. 3 months after warranty ended, coolant leak found: both intake manifold gaskets. This is a known issue with GM 3.4 litre V6s. After 2 months of "talking" with dealership and GM Canada, they fixed it under "goodwill" but still had to pay $130. Poor quality and bad dealer service.

Favorite Features

V6, functional interior, good highway cruiser, highway gas consumption

Suggested Improvements

Better interior quality, better dealership servicing

Fun to Drive
By Indy6

2000 Chevrolet Venture Minivan Value 4dr Minivan

Bought car new when Value model first introduced. Best minivan for budget at the time, appreciate no cuts on the standard drive train. Performance and handling are above expectations. I like driving this car. Regular wheelbase model looks sportier than extended models and has smaller turning radius. At 20k to 30k had metal flakes collecting in transmission pressure control solenoid sump which periodically made shifting very rough (fixed under warranty). At 42k needed to replace intake manifold gasket (GM paid half). Currently 44.5k and I am satisfied with this car.

Favorite Features

Best feature is adaptability of seats. they all fold and tumble forward, and are individually removable (easy for one person). Seats are comfortable for longer trips.

Suggested Improvements

Non-powered middle and rear windows have annoying rattle when open. Wipers are too low in hood pocket to clean out ice and snow. Offer tape player standard with all radios.