Used 1999 Chevrolet Venture Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Venture - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Venture model:

Spare Tire Falls Off!
By SPARE TIRE FALLS OFF

1999 Chevrolet Venture LS 4dr Ext Minivan

A few months ago, while pulling into my driveway, my spare tire fell off of its holder on the bottom of my van. The cable that holds it on rotted away. I also talked to someone else that said that they actually had one come off of a Venture they were driving behind on the highway, barley avoiding a serious accident! GM told me that they would not take care of me on this because the van is out of warranty and this is normal wear and tear for this vehicle. WOW! The transmission had to be replaced before the 50,000 mile mark. The fuel injectors stick on it. Many mechanics I have talked to say this is a very common problem in this vehicle. I will never buy another GM product!

I like the way the seats can be removed allowing me to convert from passenger to cargo. I also like the abundance of head room, this is the main reason we bought the van.

I think that GM should take some lessons from Toyota and Honda and be more quality conscious. Spare tires falling off and problems others and I have are the result of poor design!

Great hauling vehicle
By Erik

1999 Chevrolet Venture 3dr Minivan

I have never had a problem with the vehicle besides the intake manifold gasket. The vehicle is very reliable.It always starts on the coldest days and passes emissions. Great vehicle for going 2 the hardware store with except the chore of removing the seats.

Seats are removable but are a bit heavy. May be an issue for women or smaller individuals.

Increase the interior width by an extra inch to make it easier to put 4X8 sheets of plywood or drywall. A different trim near the hatch that can take a beating. Move the cup holders to the center console instead of being on the side of the seat.

Head gasket problems
By richard connelly

1999 Chevrolet Venture LS 4dr Ext Minivan

In the past 2 years I have had to replace 2 gaskets that seperate the manifold from the engine block. Anti-freeze leaked into the engine case. Very poor design. And GM has had no recalls on this re-occuring problem. I have spoken with mechanics and other Venture owners who have had this problem. Very dissappointing. This will be my last GM purchase. It also has had electrical short problems with the rear tail lights. Also the headlights are dull.

good gas mileage

GM needs to pay better attention to quality control and back up their products.

like at first now concerned
By family guy

1999 Chevrolet Venture LT 4dr Ext Minivan

Like the 25 mpg and the big gas tank. Did not like that the rear hatch handle broke at 3 yr mark, that I have to top off the antifreeze every month, that the power door and locks on the sliding doors stopped working, but I cleaned the contacts and it works again, need to clean twice a year. Biggest problem was the transmission at 67000 miles. Torque converter lock out caused vibrations like going over rumble stips, after driving 55+mph for >20 minutes, now the transmission sporaticlly slips when starting out on a grade. Estimate repair bill $3000 at dealer or $2000 at tranny shop. Since I wanted to tow a camper now, decided to trade it in for a large SUV. Tranny always had a hard shift.

Gas mileage, radio/tape/cd, rear controls for radio and Heat/AC, load leveling system, nice ride, removable seats, head room, plenty of space to keep kids separated, ease of oil change, van always in wheel alignment, like the power rear window vents.

Smoother shifting transmission, longer lasting transmission - fluids were changed at 35,000 miles by dealer, better rear hatch handle

Great Family Minivan
By cookrenee

1999 Chevrolet Venture LS 4dr Ext Minivan

Our Chevy Venture is a great all-round car. My husband loves it because it does great with Lowe's trips, including 4'x8' plywood. It's 7-passenger capacity has been well-used! We've traveled from Texas to Washington and back again several times with no problems, and it has had very little need for repair work. We love the 4- door style, and the automatic remote control on the right side door. The extended version gives us lots of storage space, and the seats are extremely easy to fold down and flip up out of the way, or to take out. We've enjoyed the module in front that keeps track of outside temperature, mileage, direction of travel, etc.

• SUV