1999 Chevrolet Venture - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Venture model:
It's cheap and it shows!
By lesabre88 on 01/21/08 17:42 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Venture 4dr Ext Minivan

I bought this van with only 40000 miles on it... Have had numerous things go wrong... power windows broke many times, lots of front brake wear, 3 front wheel bearings, 2 intake gaskets, exhaust, rear hatch lock, front struts and bearing plates, Abs light on half the time, check engine light on the other half, wiper motors works when it wants to, motor sounds like a sewing machine on cold start until it warms up,and much much more... funny thing is it only has 67874 miles on it now!What is going to go when it gets some real mileage on it.... I am stuck with it too because to sell it, i will loose my shirt as they hold absolutely no value ... other then that it is great

Not as good as I expected
By jumeplatt on 06/09/07 12:58 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Venture 3dr Minivan

I purchased the van with 55,000 on it so I expected it to be used and have minor repairs. The problems started with the intake gaskets blowing this turned out to be a very typical problem with the Venture; coolant deteriorates gaskets (Dex-Cool). Then there is the engine rattling also typical for the 3.4, caused by short piston skirts (design defect). Water pump went out ended up being related to the intake gaskets (Dex-Cool). Then there is the transmission hydraulic pressure defect that results in having to replace the transmission also typical of the 1999 Venture. These are all very costly repairs and I would not have purchased the van if I had known they were all so common to the Venture.

Very good van
By hlima on 01/17/07 15:33 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Venture LS 4dr Minivan

My sister has a Caravan. I like that van, but when we tried the Venture we didn't think it twice. It's very comfortable. The only problem is my wife wants to drive it all the time. No repairs until now, only normal mantenance. The electrical system works fine but there are some minimal issues like the lights blink once when you press the brakes.

Very decent minivan
By hlima on 01/03/07 17:49 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Venture LS 4dr Minivan

We bought it mainly for its design, but we found a very good interior space and overall performance.

Broken Hearted
By TANYA on 10/18/06 19:11 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Venture LS 4dr Ext Minivan

This minivan was exactly what I needed in size and space. I never got into an accident with it. The mechanical parts have quickly begun to wear out after the 100,000 mile marker and now it is on its last leg. First the struts, the strut mounts, and now the head gasket.

Spare Tire Falls Off!
By SPARE TIRE FALLS OFF on 08/04/05 12:33 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Venture LS 4dr Ext Minivan

A few months ago, while pulling into my driveway, my spare tire fell off of its holder on the bottom of my van. The cable that holds it on rotted away. I also talked to someone else that said that they actually had one come off of a Venture they were driving behind on the highway, barley avoiding a serious accident! GM told me that they would not take care of me on this because the van is out of warranty and this is normal wear and tear for this vehicle. WOW! The transmission had to be replaced before the 50,000 mile mark. The fuel injectors stick on it. Many mechanics I have talked to say this is a very common problem in this vehicle. I will never buy another GM product!

Great hauling vehicle
By Erik on 01/26/05 20:22 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Venture 3dr Minivan

I have never had a problem with the vehicle besides the intake manifold gasket. The vehicle is very reliable.It always starts on the coldest days and passes emissions. Great vehicle for going 2 the hardware store with except the chore of removing the seats.

Head gasket problems
By richard connelly on 01/15/05 22:30 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Venture LS 4dr Ext Minivan

In the past 2 years I have had to replace 2 gaskets that seperate the manifold from the engine block. Anti-freeze leaked into the engine case. Very poor design. And GM has had no recalls on this re-occuring problem. I have spoken with mechanics and other Venture owners who have had this problem. Very dissappointing. This will be my last GM purchase. It also has had electrical short problems with the rear tail lights. Also the headlights are dull.

like at first now concerned
By family guy on 12/08/04 14:17 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Venture LT 4dr Ext Minivan

Like the 25 mpg and the big gas tank. Did not like that the rear hatch handle broke at 3 yr mark, that I have to top off the antifreeze every month, that the power door and locks on the sliding doors stopped working, but I cleaned the contacts and it works again, need to clean twice a year. Biggest problem was the transmission at 67000 miles. Torque converter lock out caused vibrations like going over rumble stips, after driving 55+mph for >20 minutes, now the transmission sporaticlly slips when starting out on a grade. Estimate repair bill $3000 at dealer or $2000 at tranny shop. Since I wanted to tow a camper now, decided to trade it in for a large SUV. Tranny always had a hard shift.

Great Family Minivan
By cookrenee on 09/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Venture LS 4dr Ext Minivan

Our Chevy Venture is a great all-round car. My husband loves it because it does great with Lowe's trips, including 4'x8' plywood. It's 7-passenger capacity has been well-used! We've traveled from Texas to Washington and back again several times with no problems, and it has had very little need for repair work. We love the 4- door style, and the automatic remote control on the right side door. The extended version gives us lots of storage space, and the seats are extremely easy to fold down and flip up out of the way, or to take out. We've enjoyed the module in front that keeps track of outside temperature, mileage, direction of travel, etc.