Used 1999 Chevrolet Venture Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Venture - Consumer Reviews

1999 Chevrolet Venture

View reviews for a specific Venture model:

Manifold Gasket Failure
By mariposaken

1999 Chevrolet Venture LT 4dr Ext Minivan

Until now, I've been pretty happy with my 1999 Chevrolet Venture LT. But on May 6, 02, I found out that the manifold gasket has failed & replacement gaskets are on a nation wide back order. Service at Anderson Chev. in Los Gatos, CA have no idea when the repair will be made. I have a rental car for the duration. I was told the manifold is made of aluminum & the engine block is made of cast iron. The two metals expand and contract at different rates stressing the manifold gasket. Long term prognosis: frequent manifold gasket replacement.

Favorite Features

AC works great; decent sound system; it is quiet and comfortable. Until recently, I've been happy with it.

Suggested Improvements

How about making the engine block and manifold out of the same metals?

Unhappy Owner
By tonylaura

1999 Chevrolet Venture LS 4dr Ext Minivan

Very poor quality. Always something going wrong. Constant SES light. Air bag light intermittent. Rear wiper intermittent. Replaced many parts.

Biggest piece of crap on the road
By quag

1999 Chevrolet Venture 3dr Minivan

This car was junk; nothing more to say

Favorite Features

Color was O.K.

Suggested Improvements

Buy a Ford

Not as good as I expected
By jumeplatt

1999 Chevrolet Venture 3dr Minivan

I purchased the van with 55,000 on it so I expected it to be used and have minor repairs. The problems started with the intake gaskets blowing this turned out to be a very typical problem with the Venture; coolant deteriorates gaskets (Dex-Cool). Then there is the engine rattling also typical for the 3.4, caused by short piston skirts (design defect). Water pump went out ended up being related to the intake gaskets (Dex-Cool). Then there is the transmission hydraulic pressure defect that results in having to replace the transmission also typical of the 1999 Venture. These are all very costly repairs and I would not have purchased the van if I had known they were all so common to the Venture.

Favorite Features

The only good thing about this van is the cost is it costs a lot less than Honda or a Nissan. But in the long run it probably still ends up costing more.

Suggested Improvements

Better engine and transmission design and engineering.

A bad Venture indeed
By penwasser

1999 Chevrolet Venture LS 4dr Ext Minivan

Bought this vehicle new in 98, and like many others had no real problems until about 40,000 miles, just past warranty. I had to replace the transmission at a very hefty cost. GM would not even think about defering some of the cost, great customer support, not. I have also had problems with electrical items (ie...windows, door locks), and the same manifold gasket leak that just about everyone complains about. I gave the US market a shot, and they failed miserably. Hello Toyota.

Favorite Features

Engine performance is decent for such a large vehicle. Seating capacity and cargo room are nice.

Suggested Improvements

Everything dealing with quality assurance. The modular seats make it difficult to place a child seat correctly.