1999 Chevrolet Venture Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Venture model:
Runs hot
By courcollision on 12/22/11 10:16 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Venture Minivan LT 4dr Ext Minivan

Water stays filling up tank van runs hot open radiator cap and it fills it self back up don't know why!! Don't like the way you have to vent coolant system!!

problems
By mark f on 08/05/10 04:52 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Venture Minivan LT 4dr Ext Minivan

If you check the internet, you will find a lot of gripes about this van and I experienced them all. electrical include brake lights shorting out, turn signals failing, power sliding door going out,and radio lights burning out. Mechanical include brakes constantly need serviced and the head gasket goes out at around 120,000 miles on almost ALL 3.4 motors. My buddy is a mechanic, he says he works on the head gaskets a lot, can do it in his sleep now. Cost $700 to replace head gasket as they have to plain down the aluminum heads to fit properly. Then you may as well replace timing belt and oil pump since you are that far into the motor, talking around $1100 now.

like at first now concerned
By family guy on 12/08/04 14:17 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Venture Minivan LT 4dr Ext Minivan

Like the 25 mpg and the big gas tank. Did not like that the rear hatch handle broke at 3 yr mark, that I have to top off the antifreeze every month, that the power door and locks on the sliding doors stopped working, but I cleaned the contacts and it works again, need to clean twice a year. Biggest problem was the transmission at 67000 miles. Torque converter lock out caused vibrations like going over rumble stips, after driving 55+mph for >20 minutes, now the transmission sporaticlly slips when starting out on a grade. Estimate repair bill $3000 at dealer or $2000 at tranny shop. Since I wanted to tow a camper now, decided to trade it in for a large SUV. Tranny always had a hard shift.

1999 Venture LT
By cdlevy on 07/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Venture Minivan LT 4dr Ext Minivan

This has been an excellent vehicle. Have had no problems. Highway milage was better than expected.

no more venturing for us
By twk on 02/20/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Venture Minivan LT 4dr Ext Minivan

1st 2 years were fine with this vehicle, soon as the 36,000 warr. wore off problems started on regular basis. have had electrical issues with the wiring, problem with the power windows and the gasket problem everyone else has mentioned..& little things like the rear hatch handle breaking off GM should stand behind its product. it is very poor quality. i can not believe how many people i know that have had the same problems! the gasket should have been a recall..and many people have had the wiring problem too. i can not afford a hefty car payment, coupled with repair bill after repair bill. no more chevy for me. traded in venture today, at a loss.

1999 Chevrolet Venture
By Kurtl042 on 09/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Venture Minivan LT 4dr Ext Minivan

Very versatile. I can take the seats out and haul logs, concrete, plywood, furniture, or major appliances with ease. Good gas mileage.

Another gasket problem
By ddarpel on 06/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Venture Minivan LT 4dr Ext Minivan

I used tolove this van - it is my second Venture. After a crash that totaled our first Venture, but left my family uninjured I bought this one without a second thought. At 35,000 miles the manifold gasket has failed and I have been without the van for three weeks waiting on parts. I've called Chevy and had to go tot the dealership's GM to get my rental upgraded to another van (they pulled a used one from stock!). Chevy really needs to re-design this gasket and recall for the repair, I'm out of warranty after about two more years!

I'd buy another
By dalbc on 05/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Venture Minivan LT 4dr Ext Minivan

The van runs great, handles well, and is quite comfortable. Surprisingly, we often average 26 mpg on long highway- centric trips. The Venture has not disappointed us.

Beautiful
By NK on 05/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Venture Minivan LT 4dr Ext Minivan

This is a beautiful car! Seats all my kids comfortably. I have heard bad things about the reliabilty. But we'll see if we have any problems in the future. So far so good!

Manifold Gasket Failure
By mariposaken on 05/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Venture Minivan LT 4dr Ext Minivan

Until now, I've been pretty happy with my 1999 Chevrolet Venture LT. But on May 6, 02, I found out that the manifold gasket has failed & replacement gaskets are on a nation wide back order. Service at Anderson Chev. in Los Gatos, CA have no idea when the repair will be made. I have a rental car for the duration. I was told the manifold is made of aluminum & the engine block is made of cast iron. The two metals expand and contract at different rates stressing the manifold gasket. Long term prognosis: frequent manifold gasket replacement.