Poor old beast kicked the can on NYE!
By ventureman5 on
1998 Chevrolet Venture 3dr Minivan
My 98 Venture died driving home from Hampton Roads VA this past New Years Eve. The dreaded gasket failure problem with the heads. At 176K miles though I supposed I should count my blessings. Especially considering this is the 1st time it has needed any serious work. It still runs. I drove it today to trade it in for a used Windstar and it was still full of powr and running smooth and quiet as ever but I knew with each mile the crankcase was filling with coolant. It made its last drive without failure despite the serious problems. I will miss this vehicle very much even though it was just a baseline grocery getter. It earned my admiration after all these years of flawless performance.
Favorite Features
After reducing the tire size to the next size down the handling was my favorite feature. Why it came with such huge truck tires I'll never understand. After changing the tire size this vehicle drove beautifully and not like you would expect for a minivan of this size.
Suggested Improvements
Get rid of the damn nuisance known as the vacuum modulator. This isn't the 1970s anymore!!!! WTF? And better gaskets in the engine please.