Used 1998 Chevrolet Venture Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Venture - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Venture model:

Mixed Bag
By theseahawk

1998 Chevrolet Venture LS 3dr Ext Minivan

Good gas mileage, lots of acceleration and power, reliable drive, repair prone, convenient with dual sliding doors but pretty much an average van in the field of choices. I would not buy another one -- I would buy a different make.

Good gas mileage, lots of acceleration and power, convenient with dual sliding doors.

Repair prone, pretty much an average van in the field of choices.

Frustrated
By Frustrated

1998 Chevrolet Venture LS 3dr Ext Minivan

This van is nice to look at from the outside and has loads of room on the inside; however, it has been nothing but a headache with problem after problem. Unfortunately, not enough to qualify as a 'lemon'. We needed a new transmission at 30,000 miles and have been dealing with computer issues and the check engine light for way too long. It is almost like a money trap. I am just waiting for the money to trade it in and buy something else.

Van has nice appearance on outside. Love the sliding doors on both sides, the temperature control for front and back, the radio in back and all the room inside.

Cup holders are made cheap and break easily. Holders under the radio are not very functional.

I love my Venture
By pandama

1998 Chevrolet Venture LS 3dr Minivan

Original owner who will cry when it drives away with new owner. Touring suspension added and well worth the extra $. Good gas mileage for a minivan. Very reliable engine, power train. Minor complaints for electrical components, but I would definitely buy again if in the market for minivan (like when I have grandkids maybe?). Selling only because of long commute and high gas prices in Calif. Bought a Toyota Corolla and hope I love it as much as I love my Venture!

Automatic sliding door wows everyone. Peppy and powerful for a minivan.

Uggums grille could be more attractive but I got used to it, just like you would if you had an ugly kid!

Venture review 04/04
By arcadoc

1998 Chevrolet Venture LS 3dr Ext Minivan

The biggest problem is with the front- wheel drive transaxle. My first one failed at 123,000 miles. After a NOS replacement, the transaxle slips randomly when accelerating from a standstill. I really have no complaints about this vehicle. In general, it has served me well. Great gas mileage! With a 25 gallon tank, it is not unusual for me to go 500 miles between refuelings. This Venture now has 200,000 miles on it and you can hear the looseness in the engine and transmission. I'm about ready to retire this one before it leaves me sitting on the side of the road. My next vehicle: Another Venture!

All dashboard controls are easily accessible. It is very comfortable to ride in [and sleep in] and drives easily. I have no problem driving for hours and hours in this vehicle.

Change the hand crank seat recliners. Strengthen the front-wheel drive transaxle so that it is not so difficult for it to pull a load.

Problems Problems Problems
By Kevin Dolan

1998 Chevrolet Venture LS 3dr Ext Minivan

Ever since we bought our Venture (with approx. 17K miles), things are falling off. I agree with the comment above, lots of plastic parts, then the power windows not working, a blown headgasket, machineing of the heads to finally a blown engine with only 97,000 miles. This has been pouring good money after bad. My Nissan's have had over 180,000 miles with my first one over 350,000 miles. Never issues like this, not at only 97,000. What is it with american made cars, you pay them off then they die!!!!! What happened to quality that you can count on??

None that the newer cars do not have.

Make more dependable. Trans slipping, a/c not working when under stress, blown engine with maintance performed regually.