Used 1998 Chevrolet Venture Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Venture Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Venture model:
Made it to 137,000. Time to move on.
By Major Brock on 03/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Venture Minivan 3dr Ext Minivan

120,000 Headlight Lens fell off. 137,000 Replace in take and rear wiper does not operate. Wish it would have gone longer. All good things must come to an end.

It's Worth It
By big "T" on 10/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Venture Minivan LS 3dr Ext Minivan

I bought my "certified used venture" in March of 2001 with 56,000 miles on it. I love the car, but must insist that the cheap plastic parts cause me some problems from time to time. Both of my headlight lenses fell off - each was $300 or so to replace. Also had problems twice with the passenger side sliding door - thankfully under warranty. The car now has 97,000 miles on it, and we put on about 20- 25,000 every year travelling and camping. Couldn't ask for a better camping companion.

Venture Sold!
By Venture sold! on 08/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Venture Minivan 3dr Ext Minivan

Bought this van in 2000 at 24,000 miles, currently has almost 90,000 and still no rust. No major repairs except at 83,000 the intake gasket seal leaked (about $700). We live in snowy midwest and traction is better than other FWD's we've owned. Mileage is about 16/23. The flexible seating continues to be the best part of owning this van. Driver's seat is not comfortable on long trips if you need low back support. A recurring annoyance: having to grab cups over 16 oz. when cornering. Overall, I am sad to be saying good-bye to my old friend but I'll be test-driving the 2003-04 models before the weekend is over.

Chevy Venture
By TimiCJ on 08/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Venture Minivan LS 3dr Ext Minivan

Up until it was 5 years old, this car has been very reliable. Now, we're having problems with the front end.

We've Been Happy!
By dondee on 06/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Venture Minivan LS 3dr Ext Minivan

Bought this van new after my 92 Mazda needed extensive engine work (for the 4th time!). The van is comfortable to drive and is roomy for my kids and their friends. We have had this van for almost 5 years and it has 72,000 miles on it and I plan to keep driving until it falls apart! Very reliable, no major repairs.

You'll have to steal it from me...
By pandama on 04/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Venture Minivan 3dr Minivan

Purchased brand new because husband had GM supplier discount. Would have picked another vehicle, but am so happy that I was "forced" to buy the Venture. After 90,000+ miles in 5 years of driving, there's been nothing significant to complain of. My '90 Dodge Caravan caused me nothing but megabucks to replace the tranny 3 times! I'll drive it til it drops!

GREAT VAN
By WILLIAM BUCKLEY on 03/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Venture Minivan LS 3dr Ext Minivan

IT HAS BEEN A VERY COMFORTABLE CAR TO DRIVE AND TAKE LONG TRIPS IN. IT IS EASY TO GET IN AND OUT OF. I HAVE BAD KNEES AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO BEEN LIKE YOU DO IN A CAR.

Gasket Problems!
By Rob Barth on 02/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Venture Minivan LS 3dr Ext Minivan

The Venture does fine until the coolant mixes with the engine oil, sometimes requiring a new engine. This seems to happen anytime after 40,000 miles. GM is not always willing to help with the costs, which can cost $4,000! The same plastic compound gasket is still being used as a Chevy mechanic has told me.

Very Disappointed
By Poor sucker on 02/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Venture Minivan LS 3dr Ext Minivan

We bought our van 2 years old with 38,000 miles and have had unbelievable problems. Headlight lens "fell off" driving on highway, cost to replace was $500. Also, nearly everything inside the vehicle is plastic and is falling apart, door latch on sliding door snapped off ($80 repair), rear taillight lens broke off, have replaced water pump, currently in shop for $2,000 engine repairs on blown head gasket. Will never own another GM product.

Great family van
By tjben on 02/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Venture Minivan 3dr Ext Minivan

On Consumer Reports, reliability for the Venture was listed as sub-par, but better than the most other American models. Since the legendary reliability of the Sienna and Odyssey comes with a hefty price tag, we opted for the Venture. Because of cross-country trips, we've put 5-6000 miles on this van since we bought it 4 months ago, and it runs and drives great. Our only concern was a check engine light for the tranny, which problem we cured with a few ATF changes to clean the fluid out.