Used 1998 Chevrolet Venture Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Venture - Consumer Reviews

1998 Chevrolet Venture Minivan

View reviews for a specific Venture model:

Purchased New
By cashe32

1998 Chevrolet Venture Minivan LS 3dr Ext Minivan

This van has taken the kids to school and made many trips to the grocery store as well as the yearly vacation. It serves it's purpose. It has never had anything major go wrong, HOWEVER it has been filled with small annoying little problems since it was a year old. The brakes squeal, the power door locks has failed, the headlight lens have fallen out, the battery has leaked, the rear power windows failed, the weatherstriping on the sliding door fell off, it has been recalled at least 5 times and the power slide door failed after 6 years (it was $2000 to repair, we opted to pull it shut). I'll go with Honda or Toyota next time, better build quality.

Favorite Features

Reliable transportation.

Suggested Improvements

All the little annoying things listed above. We've owned GM, Ford, Toyota, and VW. The VW and Toyota were the most trouble free by far. The Venture had more annoying little things go wrong than all the others combined.

I like it!
By T Bear

1998 Chevrolet Venture Minivan LS 3dr Ext Minivan

My Venture is a very good van. Except for the power side door I have NO complaints. I have 85,000 miles and it just passed smog with flying colors. It has never broken down. The power sliding door does not work anymore even thou about $2500 of work has gone into it. I have replaced the belt, brakes and battery and 1 relay to the driver door. And one hose to the AC. But most of it was under warranty. I even was hit by a school bus to the front of the van. And nothing happened! I bought a new Mazda MPV '04 and it performs better but lacks alot of features the Chevy has.

Favorite Features

It has everything! Power good too! Everyone I ever let drive it loves it!

Suggested Improvements

Door electronics! Could take Mazda styling lessons. But looks Good to me!

Venturous
By La Popola

1998 Chevrolet Venture Minivan LS 3dr Ext Minivan

It was my first time buying a minivan and it was quite a good experience. I loved the room that came with it. Overall, this minivan is go for only a period of three years. After three years things don't feel the same. The brakes are a common problem when they start to squeak (something the really bother me). The electrical system was among small things that started breaking down, i.e, power locks, radio buttons (not due to abuse), power windows and back windshield wiper. The gas mileage was very poor if driving everyday. However, it was very reliable for the first three years until I went into my fourth year when things started breaking down. I would recommend it if you have kids...

Favorite Features

Very spacious, comfortable and powerful ride.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage and brake system

Reliability challenged
By Reliability Issues

1998 Chevrolet Venture Minivan 3dr Minivan

2 head gaskets and a transmission are a lot of expense. The rest of the car has held up well. We are switching to Mazda because everyone seems to have gone to longer vans, including Chevy.

Favorite Features

Short, but 7 person hauling capacity.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the reliability.

Think twice about GM
By GM...Phoey!

1998 Chevrolet Venture Minivan LS 3dr Ext Minivan

This is my first GM model and I'm disappointed in its value. After 71k miles, it needed a a new manifold head gasket for $950. Dealer said that they ALL failed around that mileage and the fix only will last 3-5 years until you need a new gasket. Friend's '98 Pontiac Grand Prix (same engine) died at 68K with the same problem. Brakes squeal all the time and can't keep it aligned at all. Only put on 5-6K miles a year so no "severe" driving involved. It was a good price when we got it in 2000 used, but not so sure now.

Favorite Features

Ride.

Suggested Improvements

New engine.