1998 Chevrolet Venture - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Venture model:
Purchased New
By cashe32 on 12/07/05 19:30 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Venture LS 3dr Ext Minivan

This van has taken the kids to school and made many trips to the grocery store as well as the yearly vacation. It serves it's purpose. It has never had anything major go wrong, HOWEVER it has been filled with small annoying little problems since it was a year old. The brakes squeal, the power door locks has failed, the headlight lens have fallen out, the battery has leaked, the rear power windows failed, the weatherstriping on the sliding door fell off, it has been recalled at least 5 times and the power slide door failed after 6 years (it was $2000 to repair, we opted to pull it shut). I'll go with Honda or Toyota next time, better build quality.

I like it!
By T Bear on 11/18/05 19:36 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Venture LS 3dr Ext Minivan

My Venture is a very good van. Except for the power side door I have NO complaints. I have 85,000 miles and it just passed smog with flying colors. It has never broken down. The power sliding door does not work anymore even thou about $2500 of work has gone into it. I have replaced the belt, brakes and battery and 1 relay to the driver door. And one hose to the AC. But most of it was under warranty. I even was hit by a school bus to the front of the van. And nothing happened! I bought a new Mazda MPV '04 and it performs better but lacks alot of features the Chevy has.

Venturous
By La Popola on 09/28/05 12:41 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Venture LS 3dr Ext Minivan

It was my first time buying a minivan and it was quite a good experience. I loved the room that came with it. Overall, this minivan is go for only a period of three years. After three years things don't feel the same. The brakes are a common problem when they start to squeak (something the really bother me). The electrical system was among small things that started breaking down, i.e, power locks, radio buttons (not due to abuse), power windows and back windshield wiper. The gas mileage was very poor if driving everyday. However, it was very reliable for the first three years until I went into my fourth year when things started breaking down. I would recommend it if you have kids...

Reliability challenged
By Reliability Issues on 08/27/05 11:41 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Venture 3dr Minivan

2 head gaskets and a transmission are a lot of expense. The rest of the car has held up well. We are switching to Mazda because everyone seems to have gone to longer vans, including Chevy.

Think twice about GM
By GM...Phoey! on 07/17/05 16:19 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Venture LS 3dr Ext Minivan

This is my first GM model and I'm disappointed in its value. After 71k miles, it needed a a new manifold head gasket for $950. Dealer said that they ALL failed around that mileage and the fix only will last 3-5 years until you need a new gasket. Friend's '98 Pontiac Grand Prix (same engine) died at 68K with the same problem. Brakes squeal all the time and can't keep it aligned at all. Only put on 5-6K miles a year so no "severe" driving involved. It was a good price when we got it in 2000 used, but not so sure now.

Mixed Bag
By theseahawk on 07/07/05 15:33 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Venture LS 3dr Ext Minivan

Good gas mileage, lots of acceleration and power, reliable drive, repair prone, convenient with dual sliding doors but pretty much an average van in the field of choices. I would not buy another one -- I would buy a different make.

Frustrated
By Frustrated on 12/09/04 19:58 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Venture LS 3dr Ext Minivan

This van is nice to look at from the outside and has loads of room on the inside; however, it has been nothing but a headache with problem after problem. Unfortunately, not enough to qualify as a 'lemon'. We needed a new transmission at 30,000 miles and have been dealing with computer issues and the check engine light for way too long. It is almost like a money trap. I am just waiting for the money to trade it in and buy something else.

I love my Venture
By pandama on 09/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Venture LS 3dr Minivan

Original owner who will cry when it drives away with new owner. Touring suspension added and well worth the extra $. Good gas mileage for a minivan. Very reliable engine, power train. Minor complaints for electrical components, but I would definitely buy again if in the market for minivan (like when I have grandkids maybe?). Selling only because of long commute and high gas prices in Calif. Bought a Toyota Corolla and hope I love it as much as I love my Venture!

Venture review 04/04
By arcadoc on 04/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Venture LS 3dr Ext Minivan

The biggest problem is with the front- wheel drive transaxle. My first one failed at 123,000 miles. After a NOS replacement, the transaxle slips randomly when accelerating from a standstill. I really have no complaints about this vehicle. In general, it has served me well. Great gas mileage! With a 25 gallon tank, it is not unusual for me to go 500 miles between refuelings. This Venture now has 200,000 miles on it and you can hear the looseness in the engine and transmission. I'm about ready to retire this one before it leaves me sitting on the side of the road. My next vehicle: Another Venture!

Problems Problems Problems
By Kevin Dolan on 03/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Venture LS 3dr Ext Minivan

Ever since we bought our Venture (with approx. 17K miles), things are falling off. I agree with the comment above, lots of plastic parts, then the power windows not working, a blown headgasket, machineing of the heads to finally a blown engine with only 97,000 miles. This has been pouring good money after bad. My Nissan's have had over 180,000 miles with my first one over 350,000 miles. Never issues like this, not at only 97,000. What is it with american made cars, you pay them off then they die!!!!! What happened to quality that you can count on??