Used 1998 Chevrolet Venture Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Venture - Consumer Reviews

1998 Chevrolet Venture Minivan

View reviews for a specific Venture model:

Poor old beast kicked the can on NYE!
By ventureman5

1998 Chevrolet Venture Minivan 3dr Minivan

My 98 Venture died driving home from Hampton Roads VA this past New Years Eve. The dreaded gasket failure problem with the heads. At 176K miles though I supposed I should count my blessings. Especially considering this is the 1st time it has needed any serious work. It still runs. I drove it today to trade it in for a used Windstar and it was still full of powr and running smooth and quiet as ever but I knew with each mile the crankcase was filling with coolant. It made its last drive without failure despite the serious problems. I will miss this vehicle very much even though it was just a baseline grocery getter. It earned my admiration after all these years of flawless performance.

Favorite Features

After reducing the tire size to the next size down the handling was my favorite feature. Why it came with such huge truck tires I'll never understand. After changing the tire size this vehicle drove beautifully and not like you would expect for a minivan of this size.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the damn nuisance known as the vacuum modulator. This isn't the 1970s anymore!!!! WTF? And better gaskets in the engine please.

98 Venture
By Englebert

1998 Chevrolet Venture Minivan LS 3dr Ext Minivan

I've read the reviews on this vehicle and many mirrored our own experience! The headlight lens falling off, driver's window failing, electrical problems, gasket repair, etc. I think we've experienced an above- average amount of repairs on our 98 Venture... including a near-fatal water pump failure that almost doomed the car. Its still going at the 85K mark, but having owned a good mixture of foreign- made and domestic cars, this one is low on the quality.

Excellent Vehicle!!
By Lori

1998 Chevrolet Venture Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

Absolutely Excellent vehicle! Bought it with about 50,000 miles on and it now has 198,000 and drives just well as it did when I first bought it. I have beat the crud out of this van with three kids in hockey and multiple other activities. My job requires heavy loads to be transported here and there. Kids, now teenagers, have given it a beating, and it just keeps on going and going! Basic maintenance, other than the window motors going out on a couple of occasions. It runs out so smooth, can't even hear or feel when it's on. We're pushing for another 100k??!!!

Favorite Features

Reliability, low maintenance and lots of space.

Suggested Improvements

Power Windows; motors seem to die quickly.

A Die Had Van!!
By judgeman6691

1998 Chevrolet Venture Minivan 3dr Ext Minivan

I love my venture! After 11 years and 125,000 miles she is still going strong. The only thing I ever had to replace is the water pump which I did February 2009 and my right window motor. This truly is a good vehicle. It offers a quiet, smooth and comfortable ride, perfect for family outings. The ext wheel base version is larger than most vans and even today fits my mother, my grandbaby, my 17 year old, my 21 year old and my 23 year old all comfortably on our many trips across the vast state of Texas. I love my venture! Chevrolet is truly "like a rock"

Favorite Features

I like every thing. Some of my favorites are the multiple storage compartments found through out the van and the ease of the removable seats. Also all the room it offers when the seats are removed. I once fit an entire full size couch inside and a medium sized curio cabinet.

Suggested Improvements

The plastic hinges on the compartments are no match for 11 years and 3 kids, should of build them stringer with metal hinges. Unfortunately gm no longer produces the venture or any minivan in America for that matter. Should listen to the owners, make the improvements and bring em back gm.

Sweet Van
By drivetilldie

1998 Chevrolet Venture Minivan 3dr Ext Minivan

Not the coolest car for a guy in his early 20's but, I would buy another one. First off, the extended version is huge, able to fit a piece of plywood flat with the seats out. Second, I have put no money into this thing except a new tranny at 170K. I drive around with all the rear seats out and it get 20/26 almost as good as my Saturn. I've got 200K on her now and looking forward to rolling over 300. Because of this vehicle, I would buy another Chevy despite many problems friends have had.

Favorite Features

Keeps going, really spacious

Suggested Improvements

Maybe make the tranny last a little longer