1998 Chevrolet Venture - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Venture model:
Poor old beast kicked the can on NYE!
By ventureman5 on 01/04/11 18:28 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Venture 3dr Minivan

My 98 Venture died driving home from Hampton Roads VA this past New Years Eve. The dreaded gasket failure problem with the heads. At 176K miles though I supposed I should count my blessings. Especially considering this is the 1st time it has needed any serious work. It still runs. I drove it today to trade it in for a used Windstar and it was still full of powr and running smooth and quiet as ever but I knew with each mile the crankcase was filling with coolant. It made its last drive without failure despite the serious problems. I will miss this vehicle very much even though it was just a baseline grocery getter. It earned my admiration after all these years of flawless performance.

98 Venture
By Englebert on 07/25/09 15:40 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Venture LS 3dr Ext Minivan

I've read the reviews on this vehicle and many mirrored our own experience! The headlight lens falling off, driver's window failing, electrical problems, gasket repair, etc. I think we've experienced an above- average amount of repairs on our 98 Venture... including a near-fatal water pump failure that almost doomed the car. Its still going at the 85K mark, but having owned a good mixture of foreign- made and domestic cars, this one is low on the quality.

Excellent Vehicle!!
By Lori on 06/01/09 05:05 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Venture LS 3dr Minivan

Absolutely Excellent vehicle! Bought it with about 50,000 miles on and it now has 198,000 and drives just well as it did when I first bought it. I have beat the crud out of this van with three kids in hockey and multiple other activities. My job requires heavy loads to be transported here and there. Kids, now teenagers, have given it a beating, and it just keeps on going and going! Basic maintenance, other than the window motors going out on a couple of occasions. It runs out so smooth, can't even hear or feel when it's on. We're pushing for another 100k??!!!

A Die Had Van!!
By judgeman6691 on 03/07/09 07:42 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Venture 3dr Ext Minivan

I love my venture! After 11 years and 125,000 miles she is still going strong. The only thing I ever had to replace is the water pump which I did February 2009 and my right window motor. This truly is a good vehicle. It offers a quiet, smooth and comfortable ride, perfect for family outings. The ext wheel base version is larger than most vans and even today fits my mother, my grandbaby, my 17 year old, my 21 year old and my 23 year old all comfortably on our many trips across the vast state of Texas. I love my venture! Chevrolet is truly "like a rock"

Sweet Van
By drivetilldie on 11/19/08 21:37 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Venture 3dr Ext Minivan

Not the coolest car for a guy in his early 20's but, I would buy another one. First off, the extended version is huge, able to fit a piece of plywood flat with the seats out. Second, I have put no money into this thing except a new tranny at 170K. I drive around with all the rear seats out and it get 20/26 almost as good as my Saturn. I've got 200K on her now and looking forward to rolling over 300. Because of this vehicle, I would buy another Chevy despite many problems friends have had.

Let Down
By Let Down on 06/11/08 20:05 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Venture 3dr Ext Minivan

This was a demo vehicle when I purchased it, but I was the first owner. Its styling, spacious interior, and solid feel sold me on it. I loved this minivan. It started every time I turned the key. It was good on fuel and on long trips. It was just a very reliable minivan aside from having to replcd the brake pads annually. However, when the odometer turned to 50K then its radio died & I had to rplace the driver-side window regulator. After the odometer turned 60K the oil pump went, then the main bearing; thus, the motor is kaput. I am really disappointed in the piece of junk GM put under the hood. It is dead in the driveway. I currently have a 06 Uplander; it will be sold! Never again Chevy

Just OK
By TXEng on 06/11/08 17:31 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Venture 3dr Ext Minivan

Bought the Venture new, fortunately with extended warranty, which paid for itself. Under warranty the AC compressor failed (defective from factory). I had the same intake gasket problem others have mentioned. The dash climate control failed and had to be replaced. There are indeed too many plastic parts and not solidly attached. Passenger side electric window is not working now. But have about 120,000 miles on it, and it is comfortable and roomy and otherwise served our family well.

Satisfied Owner
By Satisfied Owner on 10/19/07 18:30 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Venture 3dr Minivan

We bought this van at 72,000 miles. We now have 138,000 on it and it is still driving well. We are ready to dispose of it because we decided to buy an SUV. We are guessing it will drive for another 80,000 miles. We loved the Venture. We have travelled hundreds of miles each time from one state to another. We never had a breakdown. The only complaint is the driver side window gear failed. We would consider buying another Venture again in the future.

Nine Years and Still Going
By jjsouth on 03/09/07 13:05 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Venture LS 3dr Ext Minivan

I bought this car new and feel like it's part of the family. There have been small things that go wrong. I had the intake gasket repair ($800) that all GM cars have. My headlight covers have fallen off ($150) and the power sliding door has gone through a few repairs ($400) and is now completely broken. However, given that over the 9 years, I've only paid about $3500-$4000 for non-maintanence repairs. My mechanic says he would buy this van from me if I ever decide to sell it. I love it. At 119,000, it's still going strong. I hope to have it for many more years.

One of the best vehicles I owned
By candymoreno on 12/23/06 19:28 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Venture 3dr Minivan

I really liked the smooth rider and it is really quiet going down the road. I have never been strained by the van. I have had regular maintence to keep up on the worth of the van. Nothing out of the norm. I really like the design of it and I don't have the power doors. I like that I control the door opening and shutting.

1 2 3 4 5 next »