1997 Chevrolet Venture - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Venture model:
great mini van
By schawnie on 04/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Venture LS 3dr Ext Minivan

I bought this mini van in the year 2000. Have had no mechanical problems. Had to replace front brakes once, other then that has been a terrific van. Doesn't feel like your driving a van. No plastic this or that like you can find in other vans like the aerostar.

Nice little mini-bus
By Daddylope on 01/09/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Venture LS 3dr Minivan

Much quieter ride than my Chrysler Mini- Van. I drove it from coast to coast and experienced no problems great fuel economy. Definitely like the load leveling suspension when loaded down.

problems with dexcool and manifold gaske
By no more chevy's on 08/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Venture LS 3dr Ext Minivan

bought new. had to dealer 3 times for muddy antifreeze. Now the manifold gasket is leaking, and waterpump. all problems noted on other reviews. I love driving it, but can't stand the maintenance problems. 6 years old, only 53,000 mi. Why can't chevy build a vehicle to last. I'm looking into Toyota next time.

watch the engine
By daddy d on 07/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Venture 3dr Minivan

After owning the car for five months and it being at 70000 miles the engine blew a head gasket. I was told it was caused by the dexcool system not being properly taking care of before I bought.

REVIEW2003
By jbrewer on 07/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Venture 3dr Minivan

I NOW HAVE OVER 102k MILES ON THIS CAR AND HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS. I DO REGULAR MAINTENANCE WHICH I BELIEVE IS THE KEY TO THE LONGEVITY OF ANY PIECE OF MACHINERY. WE HAVE JUST RETURNED FROM A 3700 MILE TRIP WHERE OUR HIGHWAY GAS MILEAGE AVERAGED 28MPG. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

Motor Problems
By Mike 45 on 05/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Venture LS 3dr Ext Minivan

I purchased my Venture off a lease from a GM dealer. Now 2 1/2 years later with only 58,000 miles I need a new engine. Buyers beware

never a venture again
By neverventureagain on 04/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Venture LS 3dr Ext Minivan

bought in Jan 2001 with 67k miles. have grown to hate it quickly. the power sliding door had 2 recalls and still doesn't work right. Now have a recall for steering. Dexcool turns to mud, and the dealer will flush it out for nearly 400.00. now, with 97,000 miles on it,we have a new transmission. Dexcool turned to mud again. Jiffy Lube flushed it 5 times to and would not put dexcool in. They insisted on standard green anti-freeze. it works. had to replace both headlamps. seems the covers are known to fall off after so many years. had to replace both rear signal units. condensation got in and shorted them out. This thing is a money draining nightmare.

Good Buy
By A Good Van on 03/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Venture LS 3dr Ext Minivan

We bought our Venture after having Twins and it was the best purchase we made. This was our first mini-van, but it has held up to a lot of abuse from family trips. Anytime we go anywhere as a family, we take "the Van". It has been very reliable, except for the bad intake manifold gasket, that should be recalled on a number of GM vehicles (there is a petition online regarding this). We have over 75,000 miles on it with very little complaints.

Booooooooring
By Jesse Venture on 03/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Venture LS 3dr Ext Minivan

Bought my ho-hum minivan after my 3rd child was born. Drives like a cargo van, even the frills aren't anything great. Brakes needed to be done quickly, full, all four. Built by Chevy as a "throw away", I think, since it was relatively inexpensive and the resale value is next to nothing. Don't expect to resell it once you've owned it and make a profit, if not break even!

suckerbeware
By notgood on 01/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Venture 3dr Minivan

This was first minivan for me. I was very excited and it had everything I was looking for. Except the day after I bought it it was in the shop for extensive repairs. Had it less than a year and am ready to get rid of it! I think the dealer did nothing before he allowed this van to be resold. Also, service sent me home with the water pump and belt bad, fortunately there is a reputable Chrysler service company who were happy to fix it for me. Will not buy from that dealer again. Did not offer at any time to give me the vehicle I paid for.