1997 Chevrolet Venture Minivan 3.4L V6 4-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews

1997 Chevrolet Venture - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Venture model:

1997 Venture Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Ok despite a few flaws
By the captain

1997 Chevrolet Venture Minivan 3dr Minivan

The 97 Venture is OK except for a few flaws. The major one is the transmission. I've had to replace mine shortly after the purchase. Now it seems to be functioning great. I dislike the location of the cupholders next to the seat...easy to spill stuff. I also dislike the fact that the wiper system breaks. I do wish the driver side door was standard but that doesn't come until 2000. However, I do love the look of the minivan interior and exterior. I just wish it didn't rust and chip easy. It has great acceleration and has great gas mileage (better than my friends Caravan Sport). It handles pretty great. Need to haul stuff...take out the seats and you have yourself a cargo van.

Favorite Features

Its power, gas mileage, versatility, features available considering its a base model(power windows, tinted windows, roof rack, cargo nets, power mirrors, AC)

Suggested Improvements

Transmission primarily. Although the 98+ gets a redesign, the 97 does have its pitfalls. Also the driver side door would be nice as a standard feature(available in 2000). The wiper system needs work since they park upright when system malfunctions and/or the rear system motor burning out.

Overrated
By micheal laraio

1997 Chevrolet Venture Minivan 3dr Minivan

This has been the worst van I have ever owned. From day one the sliding door has not worked right. The engine light goes on for no reason. The dealership can't fix it. I can't wait to sell it.

Favorite Features

Body style

Suggested Improvements

None

watch the engine
By daddy d

1997 Chevrolet Venture Minivan 3dr Minivan

After owning the car for five months and it being at 70000 miles the engine blew a head gasket. I was told it was caused by the dexcool system not being properly taking care of before I bought.

Favorite Features

beautiful exterior,and nice riding car

Suggested Improvements

dexcool nedds to be replaced

REVIEW2003
By jbrewer

1997 Chevrolet Venture Minivan 3dr Minivan

I NOW HAVE OVER 102k MILES ON THIS CAR AND HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS. I DO REGULAR MAINTENANCE WHICH I BELIEVE IS THE KEY TO THE LONGEVITY OF ANY PIECE OF MACHINERY. WE HAVE JUST RETURNED FROM A 3700 MILE TRIP WHERE OUR HIGHWAY GAS MILEAGE AVERAGED 28MPG. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

Suggested Improvements

INTERIOR AMENITIES COULD STAND IMPROVEMENT.

suckerbeware
By notgood

1997 Chevrolet Venture Minivan 3dr Minivan

This was first minivan for me. I was very excited and it had everything I was looking for. Except the day after I bought it it was in the shop for extensive repairs. Had it less than a year and am ready to get rid of it! I think the dealer did nothing before he allowed this van to be resold. Also, service sent me home with the water pump and belt bad, fortunately there is a reputable Chrysler service company who were happy to fix it for me. Will not buy from that dealer again. Did not offer at any time to give me the vehicle I paid for.

Favorite Features

Loaded items. sliding doors (when they work)

Suggested Improvements

can't think of any

my first van
By NotSatisfied

1997 Chevrolet Venture Minivan 3dr Minivan

My family is very disappointed by this van. We have many problems right after the standard warranty expired. starter stoped working, fuel level indicator failed, etc. MPG grandually deterioted to less than 18 even on highway. Recently the engine became to have problems too. We are ready for a trade- in anytime.

Favorite Features

roomy. confortable sitting.

Suggested Improvements

improve reliability in starter, engine, wind-shiled sprays, electronic system.

Ventured Trany
By GWERBI

1997 Chevrolet Venture Minivan 3dr Minivan

My Transmission is going, going, gone. GM once made one of the best transmissions going. But now thats a thing of the past.

Favorite Features

Strong engine.

Suggested Improvements

Better seats and transmission.

Great Value
By Iver

1997 Chevrolet Venture Minivan 3dr Minivan

Great space and the split folding seats make it flexiable for family stuff. Hauling people and the folding table and chairs. Popular SUVs are less spacious (unless huge) and more expensive then (1997) & now.

Favorite Features

Although a bit heavy, I like the versitality of the folding/removable seats. Definately a great value. Great space and more economical than an SUV.

BrewChevVen97
By jbrewer

1997 Chevrolet Venture Minivan 3dr Minivan

Have had no problems with this vehicle. Now have over 80K miles and it handles as well now as it did when purchased. For a large car the gas mileage is excellant and the ride is smooth and comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Cruise Control controls are awkward to use when wipers are on. Front console could be improved. Inadequate space and electrical outlets for invehicle devices such as cell phones. Metallic windshield causes problems with electronic toll devices.