1997 Chevrolet Venture - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Venture model:
Love it!
By johnboy on 02/15/09 09:49 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Venture LS 3dr Ext Minivan

I bought this van used in 2001 and I must say it's the most reliable car I ever owned. I just hit 100000 miles and the only issue I've had was having to replace the ac which cost $900. The gas mileage is great for a van.

Great cheap minivan
By bigdog on 03/30/08 15:55 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Venture LS 3dr Minivan

We bought this minivan used in '05 for $5000 with 77,000 miles on it. Excellent paint job- little to no rust for a 11 yr old New England van! We've put on 35,000 miles in 2.5 yrs of owning it and spent $5000 in repairs including an engine rebuild and power steering work. That was largely the result of purchasing from an unscrupulous dealer. After the initial expenses, the minivan has done amazingly even in VT winters and I have used it extensively. It came with a roof rack, keyless entry, power windows and cruise control. Assuming if I can keep its annual repair costs under $ 1000, I will keep this car until the rust takes it down!

Ok despite a few flaws
By the captain on 08/31/07 02:21 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Venture 3dr Minivan

The 97 Venture is OK except for a few flaws. The major one is the transmission. I've had to replace mine shortly after the purchase. Now it seems to be functioning great. I dislike the location of the cupholders next to the seat...easy to spill stuff. I also dislike the fact that the wiper system breaks. I do wish the driver side door was standard but that doesn't come until 2000. However, I do love the look of the minivan interior and exterior. I just wish it didn't rust and chip easy. It has great acceleration and has great gas mileage (better than my friends Caravan Sport). It handles pretty great. Need to haul stuff...take out the seats and you have yourself a cargo van.

Overrated
By micheal laraio on 01/18/07 10:48 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Venture 3dr Minivan

This has been the worst van I have ever owned. From day one the sliding door has not worked right. The engine light goes on for no reason. The dealership can't fix it. I can't wait to sell it.

Waste of money, constant problems,
By kb on 01/10/07 20:25 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Venture LS 3dr Ext Minivan

Nice to drive. Very unreliable, intake gasket, transmission, waterpump, door handles, drink holder, windshield washer system, power sliding door, power window switches, oxygen sensors X3, trim falling off doors and floor, headlight lens blew off at like 25 mph, heater quite. This is what I remember happened to mine by 79,000 miles with scheduled maintenances haveing been performed. I will never by another GM product because of owning this vehicle unless they greatly improve product. Bought vehicle with 59,000 miles and sold at 80,000 miles and had owner 4.5 years. I paid $11,725 for vehicle and sold for $500 because of its mechanical shortcomings. Real waste of money.

Van from hell
By Frankt on 12/22/06 21:26 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Venture LS 3dr Ext Minivan

Bought used at 42k miles. I am stickler for servicing. At 80k, trainy went and had to rebuild front of engine. Electrical short causes brake lights to blow fuse and knock out lights- spent over $800 and still not fixed. Water pump has went twice now and replacing is a major ordeal and very expensive as its impossible to get to. These are the big problems. Never buy this van at any cost. In the long run the repairs will cost you more!

Love this van!
By jackie-pooh on 07/22/05 13:57 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Venture LS 3dr Ext Minivan

This is the first mini-van and the first Chevrolet of any kind that I've owned, and it is the most reliable used vehicle I've owned. It's very comfortable to drive, flexible to configure (remove seats, etc.) and handles great in snow and any bad weather. The traction control and ABS braking are a super combo. It's also very fun to drive.

Solid Family Choice--Excellent Economy
By Bob on 01/17/05 06:32 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Venture LS 3dr Ext Minivan

Very reliable. Only minor maintenance. Excellent mileage for the size. 19 City, 26 Hwy. Tows 2000# well.

7 yrs of good exper. w/ 97 Chev Vent Ext
By Chevowner on 11/27/04 20:00 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Venture LS 3dr Ext Minivan

We bought our 97 Chev Venture Ext LS minivan (2 sliding doors) new and have had an overall very good experience. The 2 problems so far are a check engine light at 75K miles that the dealer reset for $80 (has not come back on yet), and the drivers window switch went out recently & cost $65 to replace. We have 88K miles. It was the quietest and best driving vehicle I have owned so far.

scary
By jholt on 05/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Venture LS 3dr Ext Minivan

Do not get this car! At 95,000 miles it needed a new engine. About 10,000 miles later, it needed a $300-$400 repair every month or so. I have now decided to just buy another car. Take my advice, DO NOT GET THIS CAR!