Used 2005 Chevrolet Uplander Base Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Uplander Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Uplander model:

3rd update.

2005 Chevrolet Uplander Minivan Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We have had our 2005 Uplander for a year and a half now. Its been an ok van, but a couple problems have shown up..some small, others large. We had a problem with the transmission last year banging into gear when leaving a stop, we took it to the mechanic and they fixed a sensor that seemed to be the problem. The banging went away for a year then recently came back, so back to the mechanic we went, they cleaned out the sensor again and the problem went away...but this time for only a week, then back to slamming into gear. we took it to a transmission shop this time and they found metal flakes all through the trans, so its shot. we are having to get it rebuilt...review continues.....

we are also still having problems with the engine pinging (spark knock) which is extremely bad for your engine. we have switched to premium gas but i still pings. hopefully we can get it fixed before it fries the engine. We also had to change the sway bar links because it made an embarrassing rattling noise all the time. I still like the van but its ridiculous how many issues we have had in such a short time. However it is smooth riding and comfortable on trips, the DVD player is nice to have, and overall the van looks nice. Just wish the quality was better, hopefully we can get another 50,000 miles out of it.

poor quality parts! Needs a stronger engine and transmission....needs a/c heat in the back rows too, not just the front. The seats stain too easy..they even stain with water! even with several coats of scotch guard on them. Overall i still like the van...but it could have been better.

Its an OK van

2005 Chevrolet Uplander Minivan Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I wrote a review about a year ago when we first purchased our uplander at 78,000 miles...it now has just under 90,000 and some of my opinions of the van have changed...all in all its a nice van. In the past year we have had to change some sensor by the gas tank which required the mechanics to drop the entire gas tank. we also had to replace the rear brakes because they were down to the metal but the van never even gave us warning that they were so low. then we had to have the exhaust shield fixed because it rattled when we closed the doors. Also the front struts rattle constantly, the transmission acts wierd and doesnt always shift smooth even with new fluid, and now the engine is pinging.

i do like the interior up front. there is nice looking woodgrain and fake leather accents with stitching on the doors, it just looks nice. the back however looks very plain. I like the ride, its nice and smooth although around corners it leans too much. the gas mileage is decent for a vehicle of this size, we get anywhere from 18.5-19.5 in the city and on the highway i have achieved 29.9 mpg one trip, but usually only get 26 which is still very good i think.

Improve the build quality! it rattles on bumpy roads like crazy. I honestly think the transmission is going to be the next thing to break, it acts like it wont stay in overdrive, and sometimes it shifts hard, and sometimes it shifts extremely slow, it just acts wierd. also i think its ridiculous that the engine is pinging at such a low mileage. i put in 93 octane gas yesterday and im hoping that will help because pinging will destroy the engine if not fixed. it also needs better suspension, its smooth but when turning the whole car leans and the front struts rattle constantly!! also the steering squeels when turning and grinds ocationaly..again its just an ok van, like most chevys, just ok.

Seems good!

2005 Chevrolet Uplander Minivan Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We just bought our Uplander today and it has 78,000 miles. We love how great the gas mileage is, averaging almost 19 mpg in a van is amazing!! It drives very smooth, i can feel the shift from 1st gear to second gear but its not bad. The fit and finish is excellent, i was surprized. The seats seem to stain easy. Everything works great in it, the a/c seems kind of under powered but not too bad. It rides very comfortably, its not mushy and not like a buckboard. I am hoping to get 150,000 miles out of it. The only thing that *bothers* me, if you could even call it a bother, is the rattling noises the interior makes, its not bad though. Over all i love it!! im am NOT a chevy fan..but GO CHEVY!!!

The exterior design is epic looking, it looks like an SUV. Very solidly built. VERY QUIET INTERIOR!!, i was surprised how quiet it is. I cranked the car and thought it was stalled out cause i couldnt hear the engine even running. The brakes seem to be good for a van. And the DVD player even in the base package is a major plus!!

Ummm...fewer rattles, cupholders in mid row. A little more power, but because of mediocre power it gets GREAT MPGS!!

ABS Brakes / car fax reports
By rutter

2005 Chevrolet Uplander Minivan Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've only had my used '05 Uplander for less then a month. And here are the problems I've had. 1- ABS bad sensor? Light comes on when I'm going in reverse and step on the braks. Plus, I swear it sounds like grinding metal when the ABS kicks in. 2-front rotors warped? Wow, I'm going to get a copy of the CARFAX report. The car only had 32,000 miles on it when I got it. So I'm hoping to make this car last. My last car a Saturn VUE died just like my friends did at 159000. cracked head gasket and blown piston. I've read alot or reviews, and I'm hoping for the better side of them all. The one thing I miss is getting over 25 MPG with my Saturn, with all the driving I do.

DVD system- wish it would move though. Captain chairs, ease of the seats coming out as to haul home repair stuff!

Bigger arm rests on the driver and passangers seat, more door storage. Center storage compartment rather then the net up front. Feels like I'm driving the short bus and the kids to school. Improve that dashboard

A comfortable vehicle
By arnold hilde

2005 Chevrolet Uplander Minivan Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this vehicle during the summer. The A/C worked very well, we enjoyed driving it a lot. We were disappointed in the traction and handling in the snow of northern Minnesota.

Back up sensors, arrangment of the seats, the DVD player especially for the grandkids

Engine compartment light, exterior body trim separates from the body