Used 2012 Chevrolet Traverse LS SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Traverse - Consumer Reviews

2012 Chevrolet Traverse SUV

View reviews for a specific Traverse model:

Best vehicle I've ever owned.
By Robert Moore

2012 Chevrolet Traverse SUV LS 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I've owned this vehicle for 3 years and just went out of warranty (36,755 miles). Best thing is I never used the warranty for anything. I am a very picky person, drives my wife crazy, if something doesn't work like it's supposed to I get it fixed. I have not taken this vehicle to the dealership for anything except a recall on the seatbelt harness. We were looking for a 2nd car and found a BMW X5 with a straight 6 for a decent price so we gave it a test drive. The Traverse has spoiled us. The BMW was gutless compared to it. We expected it to be a little sportier it is a BMW after all, but were very disappointed. It just made us love our Traverse even more.

Favorite Features

Exterior and interior styling, driver comfort, reliability has been amazing. Ive owned 27 vehicles over the last 20 years and this has been the best one yet. Speed and agility for a 6000lb. vehicle is surprising.

Suggested Improvements

Only reason I didn't give it all 5's is because the middle row seat belts poke you unless your a skinny person. There is no way to wear your seatbelt without getting poked in the rear. If I was going to do it again I would have sprung for the AWD. It does ok off road but it could use the extra traction from AWD.

2012 Traverse STAY AWAY
By chevy2ford

2012 Chevrolet Traverse SUV LS 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I’ve had 4 Chevy vehicles. All good experiences, until I bought the 2012 traverse for my wife and kids. It’s been problematic since day one. Problems include vibration noises from the exhaust (it took 3 tries to fix that), front speaker works sometimes (not fixed yet), air bag light comes on often (6 attempts, still not fixed), it’s had motor mounts replaced… etc. Tried to get some help from GM to get trade-in assistance to by another new chevy traverse, they offered ZERO dollars. Asked for to extend the warenty as it will expire at 36000 miles and I have 30,000… they said no to that too. Asked for a loaner while it in the shop… no to that too, only if it stays over night.

Favorite Features

Airbags, but mine dont work. Radio, but my speakers dont work all the time.

Suggested Improvements

GM needs to stand behind their products.

2 weeks of enjoyment
By jamieandbri

2012 Chevrolet Traverse SUV LS 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased This vehicle 2 weeks ago. Purchased the base model for about 25,500 not including taxes. Overall our family enjoys it, quite comfortable ride. We had 2 snow storms and it performed very well. Inside is very roomy. I would give this vehicle all 5's if it lasts. The only low point is the gas mileage at this point averaging 17mpg with mostly city driving. Only one complaint is that the vehicle did not come with a spare tire. Dealer wanted 850 dollars extra for it. Save yourself money and call some salvage yards. I picked up all the parts for under 250.

Favorite Features

Since we got the base model it does not have a lot of extra features. We like the onstar, with the phone app I can check oil life, tire pressure, fuel amount, unlock/lock the suv even remote start it if the vehicle had the feature all from my phone. XM radio is nice, lots of cup holders, second row slides forward and back for extra leg room. Every row has outlet

Suggested Improvements

Put spare tires on all your vehicles, inflator kits are nice but don't work to well if you have a major blow out.

First month in SUV
By bigbro422

2012 Chevrolet Traverse SUV LS 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

This is my first review and first SUV, The new Chevy Traverse is great, it is a family friendly and works for me being a disable driver. The lift gate is easy to use, cargo area great for my wheelchair. My children are growing so the adjustable seating on the second row is wonderful.

Favorite Features

Size Cargo Load size Leg room Control

Suggested Improvements

This is my first review and first SUV, The new Chevy Traverse is great, just needs a upgrade on fuel usage, right now getting 16 mpg in the city. Would love to see that upgraded to 25 mpg.