Used 2012 Chevrolet Traverse Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Traverse - Consumer Reviews

2012 Chevrolet Traverse

View reviews for a specific Traverse model:

Best vehicle I've ever owned.
By Robert Moore

2012 Chevrolet Traverse LS 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I've owned this vehicle for 3 years and just went out of warranty (36,755 miles). Best thing is I never used the warranty for anything. I am a very picky person, drives my wife crazy, if something doesn't work like it's supposed to I get it fixed. I have not taken this vehicle to the dealership for anything except a recall on the seatbelt harness. We were looking for a 2nd car and found a BMW X5 with a straight 6 for a decent price so we gave it a test drive. The Traverse has spoiled us. The BMW was gutless compared to it. We expected it to be a little sportier it is a BMW after all, but were very disappointed. It just made us love our Traverse even more.

Favorite Features

Exterior and interior styling, driver comfort, reliability has been amazing. Ive owned 27 vehicles over the last 20 years and this has been the best one yet. Speed and agility for a 6000lb. vehicle is surprising.

Suggested Improvements

Only reason I didn't give it all 5's is because the middle row seat belts poke you unless your a skinny person. There is no way to wear your seatbelt without getting poked in the rear. If I was going to do it again I would have sprung for the AWD. It does ok off road but it could use the extra traction from AWD.

So far so good
By adev2

2012 Chevrolet Traverse LTZ 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have a 2012 LTZ AWD Traverse with 28,000 miles and so far I have not been back to the dealer with a single problem. So, I am very happy with the reliability and performance. The only complaint I have is that the gas mileage is somewhat lower than I expected. It's rated at 16 - 23 and I average somewhere between 16.5 - 17.5 depending on the season and how much I use the AC. This is mostly mixed city/highway driving where my average speed is 31 MPH. I drive easily so I was hoping for 19-20 based on the rating. As long as the reliability holds up I will consider buying another GM in the future.

2012 Traverse STAY AWAY
By chevy2ford

2012 Chevrolet Traverse LS 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I’ve had 4 Chevy vehicles. All good experiences, until I bought the 2012 traverse for my wife and kids. It’s been problematic since day one. Problems include vibration noises from the exhaust (it took 3 tries to fix that), front speaker works sometimes (not fixed yet), air bag light comes on often (6 attempts, still not fixed), it’s had motor mounts replaced… etc. Tried to get some help from GM to get trade-in assistance to by another new chevy traverse, they offered ZERO dollars. Asked for to extend the warenty as it will expire at 36000 miles and I have 30,000… they said no to that too. Asked for a loaner while it in the shop… no to that too, only if it stays over night.

Favorite Features

Airbags, but mine dont work. Radio, but my speakers dont work all the time.

Suggested Improvements

GM needs to stand behind their products.

2012 Traverse
By jla1466

2012 Chevrolet Traverse LT 4dr SUV AWD w/2LT (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Overall, I am very pleased with the purchase of this vehicle. However, there are a couple of things that I have found perplexing to say the least. First, the check engine light continues to come on at various times. It does not stay on continuously, but will remain on for a day or so then not come on at all for a day or more. The Chev service department keeps telling me it must be the gas cap since nothing else is showing up when they run the diagnostics. Another issue has been the power steering, which becomes difficult when making the initial turn after backing up. Again, Chev maintenance has been unable to determine why this is happening and attempts to fix have been unsuccessful.

Favorite Features

My favorite features are the Bose speakers, Bluetooth capabilities, and OnStar. The Bose speakers present an amazing difference in the quality of sound compared to other types of speakers used in vehicles today. Well worth the extra cost. With today's ever increasing dependance on technology and need for immediate information, the Bluetooth device synched with a smartphone makes communicating much easier. When placing or receiving a call through the Bluetooth device, the AC and radio are automatically quieted to make conversation easier to hear. OnStar is everything they advertise it to be...awesome; especially for directions when in unfamiliar territory.

Suggested Improvements

The center console does not have cup holders large enough to hold the bigger bottles of water. Because of not having an accessible place to put the bottle it ends up being tossed around the passenger seat and finally in the floorboard. Also, the charger plug is located to close the cupholders and tends to be in the way when in use to charge a cell phone. Another thing, the USB port location follows no logic that I can understand. Not at all sure why it is inside the top dash compartment. Finally, the gas mileage is terrible. It stated 18 city/24 hwy, but on a recent ten hour drive it only averaged 18-20 mpg. Driving around in the city or suburbs yielded only 15 mpg.

After One-Year, Very Happy w/Purchase
By murdoughnut

2012 Chevrolet Traverse LT 4dr SUV w/1LT (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

The Good: Space (lots of it). Have fit five adults, two infants in car seats, a dog and a stroller in the car before. Cargo area is plenty big, even with the third row up; While heavy on acceleration, actually turns quite nimbly for its size; Comfortable ride in every seat - third row can accommodate a small adult for normal trips, and a larger male for short trips. Bad: Gas mileage (~17), cargo door not very wide/tall Overall: Would definitely buy again; this car fit my exact needs for something safe for my infant twin sons, large enough to carry their stuff, but stylish enough for a 32-year old man who refused to own/drive a minivan. Gas mileage sucks, but didn't buy for that.

Favorite Features

Cargo hold - space for a double stroller even with the third row up. Comfortable to drive - feels safe on the road. Feels heavy when accelerating, though heavy feels like safety to me. More nimble in the terms. Interior is stylish even if it is basic plastic. Seats fold and move pretty easily. Stylish looking car (mine is solid black).

Suggested Improvements

Cargo door could be taller/wider to accommodate larger items; Car sits a little low - nearly ran into high water on a street when I first got it, could stand to be a few inches higher.