2009 Chevrolet Traverse Consumer Review: First Impressions

2009 Chevrolet Traverse - Consumer Review

LT1 4dr SUV (3.6L V6 6-speed Automatic)

First Impressions
By UpstateNY on

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

The Traverse is actually better than I expected. Quiet on the road and you can't tell that the engine is running sometimes unless you check the tach. Wife tried to start it several times while it was running...no problem it locks out the starter. Very good power although apparently the transmission has been optimized for mileage (at 60 mph it's running at only 1600 RPM) so it's slightly sluggish until it downshifts out of 6th gear. The mileage is MUCH better than I expected getting 21-22 mpg in suburban driving and the advertised 24 mpg on the highway. That seems remarkable for such a big car. Overall it's at least the equal of it's competitors such as the Highlander or Pilot.

Favorite Features

Mileage, quietness and power. I also like the Onstar especially the directions package (no need for the Nav system). That alone might be a decision maker for some people. The trip computer is nice also.

Suggested Improvements

Hard to judge where the front of the car is with the sloping front. Rear visibility is somewhat limited also. But both are probably things I will get used to. I have the trailer towing package but they don't include a 7 to 4 pin adaptor. Strangely they do include a pigtail for electric brakes.