2009 Chevrolet Traverse LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Traverse - Consumer Reviews

2009 Traverse Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Traverse model:

Sort Reviews by

LOVE MY TRAVERSE
By christine

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT1 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We bought our LT1 Traverse in June and we love it !! I like the way it handles and it looks great.We have a sun and moon roof I have never had one before and I am enjoying them (so are my teenaged boys )I agree with one of the other reviews about when turning right it is very hard to see if anything is coming ,and the head rests are awkward .I am hoping it handles good in the snow as we get alot of it .There is so much room in them ,we packed all my son's stuff for college in it with putting down one of the 2nd row seats.There is enough room for my 5'10 and 6'1 tall boys in the back seat.I would recommend this car . I think next time we would like to upgrade to the LTZ with more features

Favorite Features

I like all the room ,how the car looks

Suggested Improvements

I would like the vision improved when turning right,the stereo could be alot better and the headrests could be softer and positioned differently.

Like my LTZ So Far
By andylibby

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LTZ 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I came close to buying the Buick Enclave but got the Traverse for three reasons: (1) Price, the Buick would have cost $3 to $4m more similarly equipped, (2) I got a huge rebate for buying the 09, and (3) I don't like fake wood trim and the Buick is full of it. I liked everything about the Buick better except for the fake wood and the extra $$$, but the Traverse LTZ is an awesome car with all the goodies and I'm enjoying it a great deal.

Favorite Features

Bluetooth, power liftgate, remote start, heated/cooled seats, nav, XM, OnStar, and 288 horses. I also think it's a very smart looking car in the black granite mettalic.

Suggested Improvements

The Sunroof and moonroof need real covers over them, not just mesh screens. Too much sunlight comes thru. The 20" wheels diminish the ride and comfort. 19's look good enough and are much smoother.

Love my car
By traverseowner

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LTZ 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased our Traverse to replace a 4-Runner. We love this car. The ride is very smooth. On two different road trips we have averaged 22 mpg. There is plenty of space for everything and everyone.

Favorite Features

GPS System, DVD system, Bluetooth

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of anything

5000 mile review
By Upstate NY

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We've had the Traverse about 5 months now and 5000 miles. No problems to date (hasn't been back to the dealer) and both my wife and I really like the car. I see a lot of posts about poor mileage but we have consistently got 20 to 22 mpg in mixed suburban driving which in my estimation is great for such a large car. My only regret is that I did not buy an LT2 or LTZ package to get some of he features like backup camera, power folding mirrors, temperature controlled climate controls, and upgraded radio. People who ride in the car are surprized how quiet it is especially the engine (hard to tell it's running). I don't think Chevy has gotten the credit it deserves for this engine.

Favorite Features

I guess it's not a feature but I like the drivetrain, quiet, powerful, economical and so far extremely reliable.

Suggested Improvements

I wish I had the rear camera, rear visibility could be improved.

Not too bad
By Yosef Spinoza

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LTZ 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

When driving my Traverse LTZ from home to the baseball field, low milage, slow acceleration, slow downshift, poor rear window visibility are very disappointing BUT when the 6 passenger seats are full with my kids, their friends and their sport gadgets, the cargo area is loaded with their NY Yankees jackets, coolers, one bike, bats, gloves and balls and cup holders are all booked then I realize that I did not make a mistake. Driving back home turns into a joyful experience. I appreciate the stability, smooth and comfortable ride, nice interior design, amenities the vehicle has to offer, room and the feeling of driving a safe vehicle for my family (and their friends).

Favorite Features

Roomy vehicle, handsfree calls, XM radio and navtraffic, nav system, memory seats, folding mirrors, blind spot mirrors, rearview camera, remote starter, power remote liftgate, sunroof, controls position and comfortable seat for seven.

Suggested Improvements

After driving a rented Traverse LS for 1,500 miles, I believe that smaller tires fit better on Traverse LTZ.

Great SUV!
By M. Cleveland

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT2 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We traded in an '06 Cadillac DTS; this rides every bit as smooth. Retired, but wanted the room to haul things - it's sort of our "car/truck". Lots of cargo space. Love the Bose sound system, great bass! Remote rear hatch is convenient & the fact we can change it to manual which allows us to open in the garage. The head rests were uncomfortable but just turned them around and they're fine. Cup holders are nice size; storage areas are adequate. Fuel economy is good considering my DH doesn't do gradual stops and tends to lead foot on take off; even then we're getting avg. 20 mpg city/hwy. A 75 mi. trip of 60 & 75 mph combined, averaged 26mpg. and a 158 mi hilly day trip-avg'd 22 mpg.

Favorite Features

Cargo space; Quiet and excellent handling; smooth ride. Back-up sensors & camera. Bose sound system; Blind spot mirrors; Appealing design.

Suggested Improvements

Given the price paid, LT2 should have driver memory seat and 8-way power seat for passenger. Improved mileage would always be welcome but given size/weight of vehicle, not bad.

Traverse LTZ!
By Bigboy

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LTZ 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Bought the Traverse after a lot of research considering primarily import SUV's. Poor experience with Nissan Pathfinder and support lead me back to a NA product. Dealer was very attentive and worked with me to get the right vehicle at the right price.

Favorite Features

Room, ride and driveability. Towing capacity is a plus as well as interior design. Finish is very good

Suggested Improvements

Better quality sound system Don't buy expecting great fuel economy, I average 16.9 mpg half highway half city and drive easy

Exceptional Vehicle
By Paul

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT1 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Very impressed with this vehicle. Still own a 1998 Malibu and traded in our 2002 Venture. If I could only own 1 vehicle, this would be it. It does it all - it really shines on the highway. Good riding height and has a substantial presence on the road which helps with the big truck traffic. Around town is is very nimble and my average fuel economy is 20.1 at the moment which I think is pretty good for a 4700 pound 281 HP vehicle. The exterior styling is really one of the coolest crossovers made. I get a lot of comments about it and it makes most other vehicles look like antiques. Overall, very pleased with this purchase and hope to keep it for a long long time.

Favorite Features

The ride, power, and safety features. Superb Bose sound system. 18" wheels with 6 lugs. Premium cloth seats is more comfortable than leather for me.

Suggested Improvements

Offer a smaller sun roof for the front portion only.

My first american car - reminded why
By Carlos

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

After owning only Honda/Toyota/Nissan in the past, I finally bought it because the 3rd row has easiest access of all SUV's with 3rd row we saw. It just seems American cars don't put the effort into designing things like foreign. Ran out of space for dislikes below: - Hood release lines up vertically with parking break (I've unlatched it couple times) -suv sways (hard to describe) on roads that are banked -2nd row seating tracks are exposed, food, debris can fall in the track -clothe hangers line up with back of 2nd row, clothe can't hang right -suv refuses to downshift. you have to give it a lot of gas before it gets it. -only 1 lever for wipers/turn/beams/etc (continued below)

Favorite Features

-i do hand it to American cars, they look nicer than ever, yet still unoriginal -I like the external design -drives like a car (wife loves it), doesn't feel as big as it really is -access to 3rd row - the best! -auto dim rear view + rear camera -strong AC (we live in FL)

Suggested Improvements

-button for compartment on top of dash is chrome, reflects sun into eyes -there's no OFF to headlamps (auto or on, but no off) -AC always defaults to FRESH instead of remembering last setting -no hooks in front to pull out of sand : ( -psngr front seat recline lever too small & hard to find.

LOve the vehicle
By Joe

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT1 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I currently have 10,500 miles on my Traverse and I'm pretty happy with the comfort, performance and gas mileage the car has been getting. I drove a Tahoe before this and it's just as roomy and it gets better mileage. It's my first AWD car and I notice slipping when turning corners and rollback on inclines. Wondering if this is normal?

Favorite Features

I love the back-up camera.

Suggested Improvements

How about bluetooth for all models? Location of the oil filter is horrible. Could use a power connection in the dash compartment for GPS systems so there is no need to have wires all over the place. Would be nice if rear seatbelt latches were set deeper into the seats