Used 2009 Chevrolet Traverse Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Traverse - Consumer Reviews

2009 Chevrolet Traverse

View reviews for a specific Traverse model:

Terrible vehicle, poor dealer
By hangman

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LTZ 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased 1-8-09, fully loaded $45K. From day one problems every few months. Four serious problems. On 2 long trips this vehicle almost left us stranded on the road. Once, it almost caught fire(bad cable connection under hood), rear lift gate left strut went bad and lift gate fell right on my head. GM & Chevy say: Well, it is fixed now and that then end of what we will do.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Inspect the lift gate struts and see if they can be replaced with a strong strut assembly. But, GM does not care.

Timing Chain
By Timing Chain

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT1 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I fell in love with this vehicle from the first time I seen it. We didn't even test drive it because it was in the show room and bought it off the show room floor. The vehicle has less then 30,000 miles and I knew something was wrong with it. I've had it to the service department 4 times since the end of June and finally they told me it was the timing chain. After 8 days at the service department they called me today and told me the timing chain was on back-order and it could be up to 6 months before they could get one in. They told me that GM said I could drive it and if the engine blows up they will just replace the engine. How's that for customer service?? Very disappointed with GM!

Suggested Improvements

Need to fix whatever is going on with the timing chain issues!! I've read a lot of reviews that people have wrote and they too have had timing chain issues! Maybe that's why they are on back-order and the dealership can't seem to get one in.

2010 Traverse LT
By Mike

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT1 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Overall I like the vehicle however, Chev lies about MPG. I have the AWD and although I realize it won't be as good as the FWD it isn't anywhere near what it's supposed to be. Took it on a trip to NC mostly HGWY driving MPG is a paltry 17.5 a gallon - personally I think that's poor. I will be trading ASAP when financially feasible. Now I know why they are offering 0% financing for so long on this vehicle. If gas mileage is important run from this vehicle.

Favorite Features

NONE

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, rear visibility, the camera is awful, it's not true view so it's useless, it's like looking in a rounded mirror. There are better choices available, make one.

Great vehicle
By hawkeye

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT2 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have over 21,000 miles and love the vehicle. It has great power. I've had a transmission flash which improved what I considered good shifting, already.(people complaining of "slipping or harsh shifts" should get it) The interstate mpg is 22 at a steady 76 mph-back highways at 60mph is up to 24 mpg-around town is in the 14 mpg range.

Favorite Features

The back up camera is great

Suggested Improvements

The leather seats in the LT2 are a little hard.

I love the Traverse
By Mrs. Smitty

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT2 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I had to chime in and defend my Traverse. We have had the car for one year now and we love it. It's a very comfortable and quiet ride. We have not experienced any of the rear end noises others seems to be having. We have two kids and a dog and love the flexibility of the seating - we can haul 5 kids and a dog, or a bunch of lumber. The sun roof is a nice feature although we don't use as much as I thought we would because of the noise and wind (we do a lot of highway driving). My husband and to talk me into an SUV - but I'm glad that he did. We test drove the Flex and some other vehicles similar to the Traverse and found the Traverse to offer to most style and value for our money.

Favorite Features

Deep console storage, able to flip down some of all of seats, back hatch opens and closes with touch of button on key fab or on hatch.

Suggested Improvements

The rear bucket seats could be more comfortable - they should be able to recline a little. Makes it hard to snooze on long trips.