Used 2009 Chevrolet Traverse Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Traverse - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Traverse model:

Does Not Disappoint!
By ilovemytruck

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LTZ 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Bought my SUV "used" in June 2010. It only had 9k miles at the time. I've had to bring the truck in twice to have the chrome stripping on driver & passenger sides replaced due to peeling. Other than that, the vehicle drives perfect! Nothing wrong mechanically and the interior/exterior of the vehicle is absolutely wonderful. I can fit 7 people comfortably, including my parents (who are in their 70's) plus, trunk space is still sufficient. It's like a mini- van without the "mini-van" cliche. For those worried about the gas mileage, it's a gas guzzler. But, what else would you expect? It's an oversize SUV ; -)

Everything from nav to the dvd & bose system. Don't forget the leather ;-)

The *screen* used for the sunroof. I live in the south and it can get terrible hot!

It's good but not great.
By john

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LTZ 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Bought this vehicle because I previously had a suburban that averaged 14 mpg. The Awd version which I have is supposed to average 23 mpg. Most of the time I am in the 17,18,19. It is a far cry from the 23 they advertise. I believe the vehicle lacks power and the v 6 in this vehicle needs an upgrade. Last the engine light kept coming on and now the dealer has told me that the vehicle with 32,000 miles on it needs a new belt( timing I believe). He said its a common problem in the Traverse. Besides that I think its a decent vehicle for your money. Gm has come a long way but they need too realize that they are not there yet. Its a good vehicle but not great.

The styling of the vehicle is very nice. The front grill adds a distinct look for the vehicle. Rear sunroof was a very nice feature. Driving and handling are actually pretty good. Rear bucket seats are nice but don't move back far enough. DVD and Navigation are enjoyable also.

More power in the acceleration of the vehicle. Better gas mileage or at least something close to what was promised. Better Navigation system as far a being more user friendly. Rear bucket seats that can actually recline more would definitely be an easy fix I would think.

Not Disappointed
By ilovemytruck

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LTZ 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I looked and test drove all types of cars, trucks and suvs before finally purchasing the 2009 Traverse LTZ. Yes, I bought it used (9k miles at the time of purchase). The vehicle drives like champ and I've had no problems mechanically. I've had to bring it into the dealership to replace to chrome trim on both drive/passenger sides because it was peeling off, but all is fixed. The cargo room for back seat passengers is enough that even my parents were comfortable (and they're 70). In regards to gas mileage, IT'S AN SUV a big one at that, so it's to be expected that it isn't going to get great gas mileage. I don't speed, maybe 73 in a 70 zone, and average 22 mpg.

onstar, xm radio, navigation, seats 7, dual sunroof and leather... (the leather keeps tight).

Not a big fan of the **screen** for the sunroof. i live in the south and it gets too hot.

Terrible vehicle, poor dealer
By hangman

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LTZ 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased 1-8-09, fully loaded $45K. From day one problems every few months. Four serious problems. On 2 long trips this vehicle almost left us stranded on the road. Once, it almost caught fire(bad cable connection under hood), rear lift gate left strut went bad and lift gate fell right on my head. GM & Chevy say: Well, it is fixed now and that then end of what we will do.

None

Inspect the lift gate struts and see if they can be replaced with a strong strut assembly. But, GM does not care.

Timing Chain
By Timing Chain

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT1 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I fell in love with this vehicle from the first time I seen it. We didn't even test drive it because it was in the show room and bought it off the show room floor. The vehicle has less then 30,000 miles and I knew something was wrong with it. I've had it to the service department 4 times since the end of June and finally they told me it was the timing chain. After 8 days at the service department they called me today and told me the timing chain was on back-order and it could be up to 6 months before they could get one in. They told me that GM said I could drive it and if the engine blows up they will just replace the engine. How's that for customer service?? Very disappointed with GM!

Need to fix whatever is going on with the timing chain issues!! I've read a lot of reviews that people have wrote and they too have had timing chain issues! Maybe that's why they are on back-order and the dealership can't seem to get one in.

• SUV