Used 2009 Chevrolet Traverse SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Traverse SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Traverse model:

Steering Shaft defect
By mngirl

2009 Chevrolet Traverse SUV LT2 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Currently there is 51K on my Traverse. I do like it, it fits our family of five perfectly with room to spare. I didn't give the review 5 stars simply because there is always room for improvement. That said, I had a major problem with my steering column recently. While driving the vehicle, I suddenly and with no warning had no control of my tires - zero steering! When the vehicle was hauled to the shop, I was told that the steering shaft was completely dismembered and fell "out of place". Hmm....has this happened to anyone before?

Wish I would have waited for reviews
By teyjay

2009 Chevrolet Traverse SUV LS 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my car new off the lot in 2009. I have had numerous problems with this car since i bought it. Starting with the air conditioning knob which until this day has not been fixed because they can not duplicate the problem. The next would be the trip i took right after we got the car and the water pump blew which left my family of six sitting in the middle of no where with no cell phone access in 90+ degree weather. The car can not stop on a small hill without rolling back. But the one that i am dealing with now is the transmission. The car will not shift into gear, it shuts down on the freeway. It's going back in the shop yet again. Do not waste your hard earned money on this car!

Spacious, looks good from the outside.

Transmission, uncomfortable seating, tires, power steering, air conditioning unit, and many, many more..

Minivan in disguise
By tvaleri

2009 Chevrolet Traverse SUV LS 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I owned a 2009 for two years. Just sold last week. Hallelujah! Nonetheless, the Traverse drives and handles like a minivan. The plastic around and on the doors interior was already beginning to wear. Wires to a box located under driver's seat were loose and caused the "service airbag" light to display. Worst of all, there is no spare on the LS model. Instead, Chevy equips this vehicle with a mini air pump and some flat tire fixer. Not cool if the tire has a hole in it. The middle row of seats vibrated horribly. The 3rd row wasn't an issue. Glad to be rid of it. No more American made cars for me.

Hidden compartment in back; console in dash; sliding second row; privacy glass; lots of air vents.

Address shaking of second row. Spare tire on all models.

2009 Traverse
By tigger68

2009 Chevrolet Traverse SUV LT1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We bought our traverse in June 2009 and I had one problem with a computer about a year ago. Then October 2011 came around and our check engine light came on. It was something I don't remember. We took it to the dealer and it was the timing chain and it had been recalled. They had the car for 10 days. Then we had the car back one day and I was driving home from work and it started smoking. We attempted to drive to dealer and did not make it. A transmission clamp broke. they fixed it and then we got it back. We had it back in 4 days. The fixed and have had some hesitation and now transmission module is out? Now back we go again! Dealer has been working with us at least!

Radio--- seating---- lift gate

WARRANTY---- make it 100,000 bumber to bumper because I am out of warranty and am not happy with the fact that I will be making serious repairs when the powertrain is out. I have 47,000 miles on it now and am waiting for them to say it is not covered! I will fight tooth and nail since they had to pull my engine for a timing belt!

Wish I hit reverse before buying Traverse
By mom2x2

2009 Chevrolet Traverse SUV LT1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have been into the dealership 13 times in the past 2 months...nothing but issues with engine and powersteering. Was happy with car but this has thrown me over the edge. Do not feel comfortable driving my family of six in this vehicle. I would not recommend this vehicle to anyone. BEWARE

Engine that works, better quality, more reliable car- otherwise I would like car.