2009 Chevrolet Traverse - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Traverse model:
Love/Hate relationship
By mdr on 10/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LS 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Love my Traverse! Except the fact that it has been in the shop over 4 weeks this year. Timing chains(stretched) replaced twice, timing chain tensioners (weak) replaced, emission problem fixed, fuel injector fixed, shrill high pitched noise when radio/cd/dvd is on that tech can't seem to duplicate. Feel I have a lemon but really love my Traverse when it is running decently! Just do not feel I can rely on it. :~(

Traverse is junk !
By Chris Robinson on 10/11/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

For the past 6 mos, have had nothing but trouble. First the dealer said nothing was wrong. When check engine light came on, they had my car for 3 weeks straight. Then timing chain problem turned into transmission problems. Now, you cant accelerate quickly because the tires spin. So much for traction control. the dealer has replaced the software in my transmission 3-4 times now. i would NOT recommend this garbage of a vehicle to anyone. It's no wonder GM went bankrupt, because their customer service really blows. I have spoken to GM numerous times about these issues, but they don't seem to care. Looks like my GM buying days are over.

Problems
By chase on 10/01/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We looked at all crossovers before buying the vehicle and decided we liked it best. Then the problems came. We have had it in the shop 4 times now. First one of the rear seatbelt latches was broke. Then on a trip to the beach the driver lumbar went out with it inflated all the way. That was comfortable! A couple of months later check engine light came on took it to the shop and after everyone in the world looked at it they determined the timing chains had been stretched. Don't really know if thats possible. Currently its in the shop for the engine skipping while driving of coarse it never does it when they drive it. Wish I could trade it. Who knows what will be next.

Same Old GM- Junk
By Dave on 09/03/10 13:47 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We bought this vehicle and all I can say is I am officially done with American cars, especially GM. This vehicle has been a problem since the day we bought it. The salesman demoed the fold down seat and it split. They tried to restitch it rather than replace it because GM would not replace it. Window motor problems, trans problems, electrical problems and all we get is grief from the crappy service department and GM. We bought the stain protection for the interior and we are now arguing because they have tried to get two stains out that wont come out but nobody (GM or the chemical supplier) wants to eat the price off all new seat covers. Never again, stay away from GM

Does Not Disappoint!
By ilovemytruck on 08/31/10 15:01 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LTZ 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Bought my SUV "used" in June 2010. It only had 9k miles at the time. I've had to bring the truck in twice to have the chrome stripping on driver & passenger sides replaced due to peeling. Other than that, the vehicle drives perfect! Nothing wrong mechanically and the interior/exterior of the vehicle is absolutely wonderful. I can fit 7 people comfortably, including my parents (who are in their 70's) plus, trunk space is still sufficient. It's like a mini- van without the "mini-van" cliche. For those worried about the gas mileage, it's a gas guzzler. But, what else would you expect? It's an oversize SUV ; -)

It's good but not great.
By john on 08/31/10 11:08 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LTZ 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Bought this vehicle because I previously had a suburban that averaged 14 mpg. The Awd version which I have is supposed to average 23 mpg. Most of the time I am in the 17,18,19. It is a far cry from the 23 they advertise. I believe the vehicle lacks power and the v 6 in this vehicle needs an upgrade. Last the engine light kept coming on and now the dealer has told me that the vehicle with 32,000 miles on it needs a new belt( timing I believe). He said its a common problem in the Traverse. Besides that I think its a decent vehicle for your money. Gm has come a long way but they need too realize that they are not there yet. Its a good vehicle but not great.

Not Disappointed
By ilovemytruck on 08/30/10 13:40 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LTZ 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I looked and test drove all types of cars, trucks and suvs before finally purchasing the 2009 Traverse LTZ. Yes, I bought it used (9k miles at the time of purchase). The vehicle drives like champ and I've had no problems mechanically. I've had to bring it into the dealership to replace to chrome trim on both drive/passenger sides because it was peeling off, but all is fixed. The cargo room for back seat passengers is enough that even my parents were comfortable (and they're 70). In regards to gas mileage, IT'S AN SUV a big one at that, so it's to be expected that it isn't going to get great gas mileage. I don't speed, maybe 73 in a 70 zone, and average 22 mpg.

Terrible vehicle, poor dealer
By hangman on 08/27/10 13:20 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LTZ 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased 1-8-09, fully loaded $45K. From day one problems every few months. Four serious problems. On 2 long trips this vehicle almost left us stranded on the road. Once, it almost caught fire(bad cable connection under hood), rear lift gate left strut went bad and lift gate fell right on my head. GM & Chevy say: Well, it is fixed now and that then end of what we will do.

Timing Chain
By Timing Chain on 08/24/10 17:03 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT1 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I fell in love with this vehicle from the first time I seen it. We didn't even test drive it because it was in the show room and bought it off the show room floor. The vehicle has less then 30,000 miles and I knew something was wrong with it. I've had it to the service department 4 times since the end of June and finally they told me it was the timing chain. After 8 days at the service department they called me today and told me the timing chain was on back-order and it could be up to 6 months before they could get one in. They told me that GM said I could drive it and if the engine blows up they will just replace the engine. How's that for customer service?? Very disappointed with GM!

2010 Traverse LT
By Mike on 08/10/10 10:39 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT1 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Overall I like the vehicle however, Chev lies about MPG. I have the AWD and although I realize it won't be as good as the FWD it isn't anywhere near what it's supposed to be. Took it on a trip to NC mostly HGWY driving MPG is a paltry 17.5 a gallon - personally I think that's poor. I will be trading ASAP when financially feasible. Now I know why they are offering 0% financing for so long on this vehicle. If gas mileage is important run from this vehicle.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse in VA is:

$123 per month*