Used 2009 Chevrolet Traverse SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Traverse SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Traverse model:

Out the door trip
By Alan J. McTaggart

2009 Chevrolet Traverse SUV LT1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Took my Traverse with only 180 miles on it out to South Dakota on a 3,600 mi trip with absolutely no problems four adults and luggage everybody as comfortable gas mileage averaged 20.9 for the whole trip. More mileage on the vehicle the better the mileage. Could not have been happier with the vehicle.

Good All Around Crossover
By Nick

2009 Chevrolet Traverse SUV LT2 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

This fun-to-drive crossover has it all for a small family that will expand! Captain's chairs in second row perfect for a child seat, third row perfect for driving family around with your kids! Drives like a car with great acceleration for a heavy vehicle. All you would need with a family in back. Punch it and there's a bit of torque- steer. Not recommended with family in car! Bose stereo is great and all controls easy to navigate. Remote rear hatch very helpful and very good storage with third-row seats down. With a full car, good idea to purchase storage container for top of vehicle or extra storage on the hitch. Overall very satisfied with vehicle's mpg, 18 city, 25 hwy. Rview camera a +.

Appearance, Acceleration, Bose stereo, room for 7, remote rear hatch and comfortable seats. Leather is not your typical cheap GM leather.

Different shade to cover sunroofs, does not block out completely from sun.

Still Loving my Traverse
By Rachel

2009 Chevrolet Traverse SUV LTZ 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I didn't think an American-made car could feel so luxurious. The interior is spacious and very comfortable with lots of leg room, even in the third row seating area. I love all of the storage compartments in the front driver's area too. The seats fold and move very easily to make more space for hauling when necessary. The back- up sensors and camera are great. My biggest complaint is the size of the buttons for turning A/C on or off, front or rear defrost on/off, etc. There's a cluster of 8 buttons and if you don't know just where the button is you're going for, it's a bit confusing and takes your attention from the road for a moment. Overall, fun to drive and I'm enjoying it!

Back-up camera, heated and cooled seats, blind-spot mirror on side mirrors, steering mounted stereo controls, ease of folding rear bench seat

Larger cluster of buttons for A/C, defrost, etc.

Quality for the Money
By Eric

2009 Chevrolet Traverse SUV LT2 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We've had our Traverse for over two weeks and it certainly shows the quality that American car manufacturers can showcase once again. We purchased a loaded 2LT and the ride quality is outstanding. The cabin is incredibly quiet, even with the sunroof opened. Our other vehicle is a 2007 PT Cruiser and the Traverse is doing nearly the same gas mileage of that small car! We're averaging 18.6 MPG with a heavy amount of in-town driving. When calculating the mileage with all the horsepower the Traverse has, I can see that if you are quick to take off at a green light, you can easily lower your MPG greatly. For the size of the vehicle, the fuel economy is good.

10 Speaker Bose System (Outstanding bass) - Ver comfortable leather seats - Seats fold down for a very large amount of cargo space akin to a truck bed - Nearly soundproof cabin - Dual sunroofs - Great horsepower

The Navigation system is a bit slow to load when looking for a destination by name and it misses a great deal of locations.

A few concerns
By DParler

2009 Chevrolet Traverse SUV LS 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this SUV over a Toyota Highlander because I could negotiate a better price & I had $3500 worth of GM card points to further reduce the price. I also favored this vehicle over the Highlander because (1) it seats 8, not 7; (2) it has greater cargo room, ESPECIALLY when the rear seat is up; and (3) the seats split 60/40 so that one can go on vacation, comfortably seat 5, & still have room for luggage. As an owner, I have my concerns & disappointments. One of them is MPG consistently around 15.5 mpg. My wife's Sienna van gets 20 mpg under same conditions. You need to evaluate for yourself these "awkward features" ( 1) headrests; (2)seat comfort & adjust ability; (3) rear visibility.

Split-row seats; easy access to third row; adequate cargo space in rear with third row seat up. On-Star is really cool and XM radio rocks ... but remember you are buying a vehicle and those are services taht require continual (paid) subscriptions.

They REALLY do need to work on those headrests. Rear visibility is poor. Front seat does not lean forward ...it can slide forward on tract & has ordotic support, but doesn't tilt forward at waist. Also, steering wheel retracts but will not tilt for me to adequately view all of odometer readings.