2009 Chevrolet Traverse LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Traverse - Consumer Reviews

2009 Traverse Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Traverse model:

Sort Reviews by

Wow
By logandiagnostic

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT2 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

With the current auto market conditions, we were able to buy a LT2 FWD for $8k under sticker. We got heated leather, split rear seats, XM, rear camera, power liftgate, remote start, etc. Cyber Gray. $37k crossover for $29k!

Favorite Features

Very fast heated seats and heater. No squeaks or rattles. I consider the Chevrolet Traverse as being the best looking vehicle of the GM crossovers.

Suggested Improvements

I cannot think of anything needed.

Better than Highlander or Pilot
By car01

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Looked at Highlander and Pilot and the Traverse beats both hands down. Has a very quiet and smooth ride. Exterior styling is superb. Overall build quality is very impressive. Don't assume Japanese competitors in the large midsize SUV segment are better, there not. The vehicle shows that GM can produce a world class vehicle for a reasonable cost.

Favorite Features

Powertrain, quiet ride, interior room and comfort, value, backup camera.

Suggested Improvements

None worth mentioning.

Our Traverse
By Frank Z

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LTZ 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We just purchased this about two weeks ago, but it has already met all our expectations and exceeded some. Cannot say much about MPG, because we only have 475 miles on the vehicle. Only two areas needed repair/adjustment. Left side doors off a little in alignment, and seal for driver's window crimped. Doors have been aligned and window seal is on order. It is very roomy, rides very well and the Nav system is greatly improved over our 2007 GM vehicle, although screen size is a little smaller. Very stable on rural roads and interstates. Turns very well at local speeds and turning radius is excellent.

Favorite Features

Dual sunroofs, DVD player, captain's chairs and heating & cooling system is above reproach so far.

Suggested Improvements

Should have fog lamps and keyless ignition walkaway locking without using the remote.

Great buy
By jerryg

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LS 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Quiet and handles wonderfully. AWD performs great in deep snow and snow packed surfaces.Would not own a vehicle without AWD in the Chicago area. Engine powerful, but quiet. Yes, American car makers can make a geat car.

Favorite Features

Handling and roadability. Have gone through two snowfalls of 10 to 12" and this car never hesitated or failed to brake properly

Suggested Improvements

Interior needs to be classed up. Less plastic

Best family car ever
By Michael

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LS 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We just bought this SUV, upsizing as our 3 young kids get older and want to bring friends along. We live in a very snowy area and need AWD and were not thrilled with the idea of the Toyota Sienna. We looked at the Pilot, MDX, Highlander, etc. and were wholly unimpressed. Drove and bought this SUV the same afternoon. Great design and ridiculous pricing. GM is on the way back (probably bankrupt, but will re-emerge better than ever). Don't bother with the GM standard DVD, get an aftermarket for a fraction of the cost.

Favorite Features

Interior space

Suggested Improvements

Better behind seat storage for both 2nd row and 3rd row

From MB back to GM
By Messina Mommy

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT2 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I finally splurged and got the black on black Mercedes I had always wanted. As a single mom of 3 boys, I was ready to get into something sporty. After 7 months of driving a little tiny sedan (C300), I realized that it just wasnt practical. Having 3 boys (ages 17, 7, & 6), I need something that's tough, practical and can withstand how hard we are on our car. I went to a dealership with all intensive purposes of purchasing a Tahoe. I had 3 in the past and new I loved them. The dealer had the Traverse LTZ on the show room floor. I test drove it & was so relieved to have that Solid, Chevy SUV feeling back. Test drove the Tahoe & decided I loved the Traverse LT2 in silver! Love it! Get one!

Favorite Features

Black leather seats, DVD/entertainment system, the rearview camera, the space, the smooth ride, the solid feel, heated seats, turn by turn directions, ease of use. Value for the price (fully loaded Chevy vs. stripped down Benz)

Suggested Improvements

None that I can think of yet!

Great family car
By mjm

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT2 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

4th in a long line of SUVs (Ford, Honda, BMW, Chevy). This SUV looks the best and has the strength the others do not (towing). Very comfortable driving position, plenty of room for a family of 6 and everything needed for long vacations. AWD has performed as expected in inclement weather (ice, snow). The qualtiy of this vehicle seems to be better than the previous Chevy I have owned.

Favorite Features

Backup cameras, sensors. Driver's side leg room, driving position. Remote start. Smooth ride. Audio system is intense. Exterior styling

Suggested Improvements

Hill holder feature to stablize vehicle in hill conditions, larger DVD screen.

Is this really a Chevy?
By chevy guy

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LTZ 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

If you took the bowties off this SUV you would not believe it is a Chevy. My wife and I are very impressed. It was a leap of faith to order one without actually seeing one like it and driving it. We are not disappointed. Maybe I am too much of a Chevy man with some bias, but this is one great vehicle to drive and ride in with excellent build quality. We got the LTZ in Black Raven (I think that is what it's called) and it has some metallic it in. Beautiful especially in the sun.

Favorite Features

Drive ride and build quality. Lot of room with plenty of cup holders. Love the sliding center console arm rest and storage area. The top of the dash has a nice storage area, too. The inverter is a very nice feature with the 115V outlet in the rear of the console.

Suggested Improvements

Not sure about the bold 2-tone interior color options. If you get certain exterior colors (ie, black) the color mated with either the cashmiere or grey is dark black. We got cashmiere & it's a little bold for us but getting used to it. Whish they had more color combo options.

Great Vehicle
By ChevyTrav

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LS 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Can't find too much to complain about yet with this car. It's roomy and rides well. A lot of nice features come with it standard (i.e. XM radio, OnStar, built in phone). Gas mileage has been as advertised so far. I guess there are two things that are slightly bothersome about it and both have already been mentioned by the editors. It tends to be a bit slow to downshift and there is a fair amount of plastic in the car. However, these two minor imperfections really haven't bothered me that much. Overall, I feel that this is a quality car that Chevrolet has put out. I would recommend this car to the person who needs space, towing capacity, and decent gas mileage to go along with it.

Favorite Features

Split seating. This is a wonderful feature! I also like the quiet, smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

The air "recycle" button for the air conditioning and heating will only recycle the air when the knob is set to send air through the panels (or panel and floor). I want it to recycle the air even when I have it on defrost so that I don't have to smell other people's exhaust!

Great SUV
By Ken Miller

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT2 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

The Traverse handles much better than the other GM "clones" and the new direct injection engine revs so quick and willingly. Mileage is running 19/20 overall except when my son drives it and then it drops 2 mpg. Traded in a 2008 Mazda CX-9 and this is a far better vehicle.

Favorite Features

Engine provides quick power for merging.

Suggested Improvements

Give us a 288 HP model in the LT series.