Used 2009 Chevrolet Traverse Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Traverse - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Traverse model:

Traverse, sorry we bought it
By Linda Silvey

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LS 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We bought our traverse in June2009. The headrests are very uncomfortable and force a short person to keep their head bowed if they don't put a pillow behind their back. My husband has nearly wrecked it three times when trying to make a left hand turn due to the poor visibility when looking to the right to see if another vehicle is coming. It is hard to park because you cannot see the front end and it's very hard to back up due to the small window and the many blind spots along the sides (we have the economy model). The gas mileage is awful. We took a long trip and the highway mpg never got above 18 mpg. My biggest concern is safety. It is an accident waiting to happen.

The color

Headrests need to be able to be removed or turned backwards. Backup camera needs to standard on all models. Something needs to be changed to improve the gas mileage. My old beat up van gets 22 in town. The frame support between the windshield and the front doors causes lg dangerous blind spot.

Very Happy With Our Purchase
By stephen zeinner

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Since I have purchased foreign made cars over the past few years I was hesitant of getting back into the market for a domestic made automobile. We have been very happy with this vehicle. Gas mileage was a little disappointing at first but with mileage on car the mpg has improved to at least what the advertisement claims and at times a little better. I will gladly take a bit of inconvenience with the transmission shifting or not shifting especially for the mpg's.

Back up senors and back up mirror. Outside mirrors with anti-blind spots. Ride is great and room for all of the grandkids. Love the design. Great for hauling things with the seats folded down.

Third seat sits very low, no problem for me since I am the driver.

Good News - Bad News
By Richard

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LTZ 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have owned my 2009 Traverse LTZ since Feb. 2009. I love everything about it, except one thing. The bad news is that one thing was the primary reason I bought the vehicle. The Traverse is advertised as getting 18mpg in the city and 24mpg on the highway. I am getting nowhere near that. My combined mpg has been 17.4mpg with roughly 50-50 city/highway mix. This is AFTER driving like I am 80 years old. I have never owned a vehicle so far below EPA mileage estimates. This is ridiculous. Otherwise, an outstanding vehicle. I am getting 19to20 mpg on the highway and 15to16 mpg in the city.

Interior room, smooth ride, OnStar, Bluetooth phone, XM satellite.

Get gas mileage up to as advertise or change EPA mileage estimate to more realistic numbers so that more people aren't conned by the promised mileage.

Should've stayed FORD!!
By Mark

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Should have stayed Ford, decided to try Chevy, very disappointed with the performance and reliability. The Check engine light has come on over 7 times in less than 6 months, first few times they said the gas cap was not put on properly. Over 35 yrs of driving time, I know how to put a gas cap on. The 4th time a fuel injector was replaced, the 5th time back to Gas cap, 6th time they replaced a coil and spark plugs, 7th time yep you guessed it, Gas Cap. We like this vehicle, we are not happy with the performance, we got a lemon, working with GM to get it replaced. I know "Good Luck". GM had their chance, going back to Ford especially if they give me my money. Should've have stayed FORD.

Back up Camera, Fuel Mileage 21.3 for 7,000 miles. Very comfortable and spacious.

Get it to run right, get me a new vehicle.

Great Crossover value
By car lower

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LTZ 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased the 09 Traverse LTZ after comparing GMC, Buick to other brands. Traverse seems to be the best value of the group. I can't wait to drive it on longer trips to experience all the features it has to offer. Comfort is much like sitting in a minivan so that you are not tired when you finish a trip.

Van like seating position. XM Satellite Radio. GReat value for what you get in the Chevrolet versus competition

Better navigation disk when it gets lost and can't readily get back on track. More trim distinction between Chevrolet models.