Used 2009 Chevrolet Traverse Consumer Reviews - 153 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Traverse - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Traverse model:

Tire Chains Not Allowed
By BRYCE W KOPPER

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT2 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We love our 2009 Traverse but if you don't live in the mountains where chains are sometimes required you don't realize the problem you will encounter. Tire chains will not work on the Traverse which could pose quite a problem if you want to go skiing and you're not allowed to go up the mountain because the stupid vehicle was built so you can't use chains. What does GM expect? To be pulled up the mountain by a team of donkeys? I'm sorely disappointed with this flaw.

Use 16" tires instead of 18" or build the underside differently to allow tire chains.

Broke down with less than 4K miles!
By recker

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

You would think that after making a 30K purchase, it would be reliable. GM dropped the ball. After owning for 4-5 months and less than 4000 miles our traverse has an "intermittent electrical issue", and will not start. The service department had to call GM's engineer dept to find out how to fix the issue. The fact that the service dept had to call GM on how to fix the problem is a scary thought. Never again!!

Looks

Work out any bugs before you introduce it to the public

What about deep snow?
By Rondog

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LTZ 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I bought a 2009 Traverse AWD LTZ in July. I have been loving this new vehicle until yesterday. We had 14" of snow fall overnight. I cleared my driveway and backed into the street. A couple of 4 wheel drive vehicles had gone through but the plows had not. I was stuck immediately. I turned off the traction control and could not move the vehicle. My neighbors had to push me back into my driveway. I had a 4WD S-10 Blazer and was never stuck once in 10 years! I am so frustrated with this vehicle. I live in WI and we have some winters with numerous heavy snow falls. I think it is ground clearance and tire design. My other vehicles were dedicated 4WD and not AWD.

Back-up camera, XM, heated/cooled seats, remote start

More ground clearance.

Great!
By dexterm

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LTZ 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased this SUV about 2 months ago and love it so far. We have been on a couple of road trips and it fits our family of 4 perfectly. It is roomy, drives nicely and the kids love the DVD player.

Power Lift Gate, NAV system, and Black carpet! Cars built for families should never have light gray carpet.

Nothing so far.

Really like it!
By The Dan

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LTZ 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

The Traverse rides great. It is quiet, sure footed, accelerates acceptably, and has very good fit and finish. I would highly recommend the Traverse to anyone. I have two complaints. It doesn't always know what gear it wants to be in and will sometimes have a bit of an acceleration lag when you have slowed down but then press the gas (like when the light changes from red to green). I will press the gas, then press the gas some more until it figures out what gear needs to be in and will then accelerate excessively. The other complaint is that it is surprisingly large and takes some getting use to.

The ride an build quality. The Traverse feels very solid. It creates confidence when driving around town and is smooth and quiet on the open road. It also has plenty of space for people and cargo...more space than a Tahoe and the third row is more comfortable.

Six gears sounds good on paper and does make the ride smooth for everyday riding but it gets in the way when a little "performance" driving is needed.