Used 2009 Chevrolet Traverse Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Traverse - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Traverse model:

Like my LTZ So Far
By andylibby

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LTZ 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I came close to buying the Buick Enclave but got the Traverse for three reasons: (1) Price, the Buick would have cost $3 to $4m more similarly equipped, (2) I got a huge rebate for buying the 09, and (3) I don't like fake wood trim and the Buick is full of it. I liked everything about the Buick better except for the fake wood and the extra $$$, but the Traverse LTZ is an awesome car with all the goodies and I'm enjoying it a great deal.

Favorite Features

Bluetooth, power liftgate, remote start, heated/cooled seats, nav, XM, OnStar, and 288 horses. I also think it's a very smart looking car in the black granite mettalic.

Suggested Improvements

The Sunroof and moonroof need real covers over them, not just mesh screens. Too much sunlight comes thru. The 20" wheels diminish the ride and comfort. 19's look good enough and are much smoother.

Love my car
By traverseowner

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LTZ 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased our Traverse to replace a 4-Runner. We love this car. The ride is very smooth. On two different road trips we have averaged 22 mpg. There is plenty of space for everything and everyone.

Favorite Features

GPS System, DVD system, Bluetooth

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of anything

5000 mile review
By Upstate NY

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We've had the Traverse about 5 months now and 5000 miles. No problems to date (hasn't been back to the dealer) and both my wife and I really like the car. I see a lot of posts about poor mileage but we have consistently got 20 to 22 mpg in mixed suburban driving which in my estimation is great for such a large car. My only regret is that I did not buy an LT2 or LTZ package to get some of he features like backup camera, power folding mirrors, temperature controlled climate controls, and upgraded radio. People who ride in the car are surprized how quiet it is especially the engine (hard to tell it's running). I don't think Chevy has gotten the credit it deserves for this engine.

Favorite Features

I guess it's not a feature but I like the drivetrain, quiet, powerful, economical and so far extremely reliable.

Suggested Improvements

I wish I had the rear camera, rear visibility could be improved.

Not too bad
By Yosef Spinoza

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LTZ 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

When driving my Traverse LTZ from home to the baseball field, low milage, slow acceleration, slow downshift, poor rear window visibility are very disappointing BUT when the 6 passenger seats are full with my kids, their friends and their sport gadgets, the cargo area is loaded with their NY Yankees jackets, coolers, one bike, bats, gloves and balls and cup holders are all booked then I realize that I did not make a mistake. Driving back home turns into a joyful experience. I appreciate the stability, smooth and comfortable ride, nice interior design, amenities the vehicle has to offer, room and the feeling of driving a safe vehicle for my family (and their friends).

Favorite Features

Roomy vehicle, handsfree calls, XM radio and navtraffic, nav system, memory seats, folding mirrors, blind spot mirrors, rearview camera, remote starter, power remote liftgate, sunroof, controls position and comfortable seat for seven.

Suggested Improvements

After driving a rented Traverse LS for 1,500 miles, I believe that smaller tires fit better on Traverse LTZ.

Great SUV!
By M. Cleveland

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT2 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We traded in an '06 Cadillac DTS; this rides every bit as smooth. Retired, but wanted the room to haul things - it's sort of our "car/truck". Lots of cargo space. Love the Bose sound system, great bass! Remote rear hatch is convenient & the fact we can change it to manual which allows us to open in the garage. The head rests were uncomfortable but just turned them around and they're fine. Cup holders are nice size; storage areas are adequate. Fuel economy is good considering my DH doesn't do gradual stops and tends to lead foot on take off; even then we're getting avg. 20 mpg city/hwy. A 75 mi. trip of 60 & 75 mph combined, averaged 26mpg. and a 158 mi hilly day trip-avg'd 22 mpg.

Favorite Features

Cargo space; Quiet and excellent handling; smooth ride. Back-up sensors & camera. Bose sound system; Blind spot mirrors; Appealing design.

Suggested Improvements

Given the price paid, LT2 should have driver memory seat and 8-way power seat for passenger. Improved mileage would always be welcome but given size/weight of vehicle, not bad.